Lightsaber Construction Rules

By Kyla, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny RPG

I've been tweaking the Lightsaber Construction Rules to be a bit more fluffy in regards to representing why lightsabers are so tied to Jedi and Sith. Not a lot has changed from those written in the GM's Kit, but I wanted to post them here in case some of you wanted to use them.

Few things in the galaxy are as iconic of the Jedi as their primary badge of office, the lightsaber!

Unique to the Sith and Jedi Orders, few outside these two groups have the skill or knowledge to build the archaic weapons. This is primarily due to the knowledge of their creation being a tightly guarded secret, given only to those adepts that have completed their basic skills training in the Force.
Both the Sith and the Jedi understood that there were three fundamental aspects to manipulation of the energies of the Force. While many superstitions and shamanic traditions create detailed and ornate rituals to produce effects through the Force, Jedi and Sith are unique in their ability to shape the Force to their wills in whatever manner they choose. This ability to eshew materials and rituals is centered around a tri-fold idea of the Force, and these three tenets formed the three tiers of training that an Adept must pass in order to be ready to face the final Trials of their Order.
The first tenet demands a student be able to Sense the presence of the Force around her
The second tenet demands a student be able to Control the power of the Force within her
The third tenet demands a student be able to Alter the world around her with this Power
These principles are represented by the core powers of a Jedi or Sith; Sense representing the first tenet, Enhance representing the second, and Move representing the third. Inherently, all three of these disciplines must be learned and embraced in order to be successful in the construction of a lightsaber. While the components could otherwise be put together to similar effect, these laser swords are inferior to the weapon of the Jedi and Sith, and are highly unstable, their blades crackling with barely contained power, and often are as great a threat to their wielder as they are their opponent. Only the skill and knowledge the Force affords them enables a Jedi or Sith to contruct the elegant weapon known as a lightsaber.
The first step is to prepare the crystal. This is the step where you take a raw crystal and reduce it, polish it, and empower it with the Force. To accomplish this, you must make a Sense power check. At least 1 Force Point must be generated in order to attune the crystal correctly. In addition, you’ll have a series of visions through the Force, your behavior in these visions will determine the color of your lightsaber when it is constructed, as they represent the subconscious directions of your mind when preparing the crystal. A list of these visions can be found here .
The second step is to build the basic hilt. These are the simple components that form the mechanical parts of the lightsaber (sans crystal). Getting the pieces necessary requires a Streetwise check unless you have received the components already through in game actions. Once the pieces are gathered, you may make your choice of either a Mechanics or Knowledge (Lore) check. This check takes three days of solid work to complete. If you someone to instruct you (such as a mentor or holocron), this test is Average (two purple). If you do so without instruction, then you increase the difficulty to Daunting (four purple). In addition, you may make an Enhance Force Power check, adding your choice of Successes or Advantages to the roll for each Force Point generated (you must successfully generate at least one Force Point). You can spend successes, advantages, and triumphs on this roll to customize and improve your lightsaber hilt (as well reducing the time it takes to build). While it might stand to reason that you could do the above at any time, until you have completed the crystal, you don’t know what size or shape to create the crystal housing in, and thus, you won’t know how to properly fit the components until the crystal is ready. This is also the reason why existing lightsabers must be broken down into their component pieces and re-built; as each crystal has its own structure that is generated by the Jedi at the time of construction. Success on this roll means that you will not need to make a Mechanics check to install the first modification you make (usually the installation of your Kyber crystal – though you may choose to install something else instead) as it will automatically be successful.
The final step is to install the Kyber crystal you have fashioned into the housing and complete the lightsaber’s construction. This final step requires you to lift the crystal using the Move Force Power (as touching the polished crystal in any way will produce imperfections causing the lightsaber to malfunction) and insert it into the crystal housing. Only a single Force Point needs to be generated on this roll, however if you opted to use the free modification success on another component in the above step, you’ll now need to make an Average Mechanics check to successfully install the crystal in the housing.
Once a Jedi or Sith has constructed their lightsaber, they are deemed worthy to complete their training in advance Force techniques and face their final trials before attaining the title of Jedi Knight or Sith Lord.

I have to say I like this. It puts an appropriate bottleneck on building lightsabers that fits with the lore, and requires the PC to spread their Force power investment into what, IMHO, are the essentials.

While I appreciate the openness of FFG's Force power rules, I sometimes wish there was more structure, or some kind of prerequisite chain.

It's a nice set of rules and gives structure where the game lacks it.

My only concern is the crystal color since each color represents a specific personal thing about the user. Here's the official list of colors and their meanings.

Green: Peace through force when necessary.

Red: Evil and power

Blue: Justice and protection

Purple: Moral Ambiguity

Yellow: Intrigue and pursuit

Orange: Negotiation

Gold: Strength on the Light Side or Highly Skilled Force User

Bronze/Dark Yellow: Physical Strength

Silver: Calm and Clear

Silver w/ Black Center: Self-Obsession

I like this a lot, and plan on using your awesome questionnaire in my game when the time comes. That said, and I realize I'm probably in the minority here, I won't be requiring any Force powers for the construction of the hilt or the placement of the crystal. I see no reason why a non-sensitive character/droid couldn't do those particular tasks using tools of some kind. I'll probably just use the rules given in the F&D GM screen book.

Edited by Jasonco2

My only concern is the crystal color since each color represents a specific personal thing about the user. Here's the official list of colors and their meanings.

You should probably source that. I've never seen those interpretations from any canon or Legends source material before. There's been quite a bit of discussion on how to handle colors on threads on this board in the past.

You should probably source that. I've never seen those interpretations from any canon or Legends source material before. There's been quite a bit of discussion on how to handle colors on threads on this board in the past.

I really like these but would also like a source. One of my players will be building a light saber over the course of the campaign and this would be really helpful.

It's from an article on Epicstream where they have the colors and meanings.

Clicky

Edited by ThePatriot

According to Wookiepedia the colors used to depend on the class of Jedi. Also there are a ton of colors:

Acid Yellow (Anja Gallandro's lightsaber)

Amber

Amethyst (such as Mace Windu's lightsaber)

Aqua (Galen Marek's modified lightsaber)

Azure (Nikkos Tyris's lightsaber)

Blue (traditional Jedi lightsaber color)

Black

Blue-core (white with blue core)

Blue, w/ black core

Blue, w/ cyan core

Blue, Dark (such as Anakin Skywalker's lightsaber, Kenobi's Legacy)

Blue, Icy (Permafrost crystal)

Blue, Jade

Bright Gold

Bronze (Lowbacca's lightsaber and Freedon Nadd)

Bronze w/ yellow core (Heart of the Guardian)

Brown (Bnar's Sacrifice)

Burgundy (Solimon Dambrizi's lightsaber)

Carmine (Bane's Heart)

Clear (Barab ingot)

Cobalt (Saesee Tiin's lightsaber)

Copper

Crimson (Adi Gallia's lightsaber in 32 BBY)

Cyan (such as Meetra Surik's lightsaber)

Cyan w/ silvery glow (Mantle of the Force)

Electric Blue

Emerald (such as Jacen Solo's lightsaber before his defection to Sith)

Gold (such as Qu Rahn's lightsaber)

Gray

Green (Luke Skywalker's lightsaber)

Green, Dark

Green, Jade

Green, Light

Green, Sage (Rahm Kota's lightsaber)

Green, Lime

Green, Mint

Green w/ black core (Dahgee crystal)

Indigo

Magenta (such as Mara Jade's first lightsaber)

Orange (such as Kyle Katarn's in 10 ABY or the Mandalorian Knights)

Orange w/ black core

Orange w/ yellow core

Orange, Hot

Orange, Burnt

Pearl White (Krayt dragon pearl, Wisdom crystal)

Pewter (Raynar Thul's lightsaber)

Pink (Lambent)

Pink-Purple

Purple (Mace Windu's lightsaber)

Purple w/ black core

Red (Darth Andeddu's Crystal, generic Sith/Dark Jedi lightsaber)

Red, w/ black core

Red w/ orange core

Red, Blood (Qixoni crystal)

Red, Dark

Red, Light

Sapphire (Yarael Poof's lightsaber)

Scarlet (Depa Billaba's lightsaber)

Sickly green (Jedgar's lightsaber)

Silver (Durindfire (crystal))

Silvery-blue (Toro Irana's lightsaber)

Silvery-green (Viridian crystal)

Teal (Sunrider's Destiny)

Transparent Blue (Pix's lightsaber)

Turquoise (Tenel Ka Djo's lightsaber)

Violet (such as Anakin Solo's, Kyp Durron's, and Jaina Solo's lightsabers)

Violet, Dark

Violet, Light

Violet w/ Black Core

Viridian

White (Imperial Knights, Star Wars: The Old Republic)

White-black (white with black core)

Yellow (Impact Crystal from the Force Unleashed II Collectors Edition, and Yun's lightsaber)

Yellow, Dark

Yellow, Light

Yellow-White (Nelani Dinn's lightsaber)

Yellowish-green (such as Ahsoka Tano's Shoto)

Yellowish-orange

Yellow w/ Black Core

Clicky

Right, so a big collection of fanwankery based on nothing but the author's preconceptions. Got it.

Clicky

Neat interpretations, but looks to be fanon. Most official sources have always been kind of non-committal about any symbolism regarding colors.

I'll be honest, I really don't see a need for this extra level of complexity in what's already a perfect streamlined system in regards to building a lightsaber hilt.

Plus, the newer canon shows that for the Jedi Order, making your own lightsaber isn't as critical a step in the process of becoming a Jedi Knight as was once believed. In TCW, making a lightsaber is something expected of Initiates as part of the process of proving they're ready to be considered as candidates to become Padawans.

If anything, more of the focus seems to be on getting the crystal than on building the hilt. In Rebels, Ezra building his own lightsaber hilt was treated as something of an after-thought in the episode where he underwent a vision quest to get his kyber crystal.

Agree with Don van on this. I am not a fan of a toll or a gate on things that are inherently a part of the career/specialization. If I want to spend experience on other powers that should not prevent me from getting/using a lightsaber.

Which is precisely why I prefaced it with the decision to make things fluffy. :) It (like everything else I post) is a "use it or don't" gift to the community. I just figure since I did the work I might as well save other GM's the time of doing it themselves, I know I appreciate all the work Don and the others put into their stuff that they post.

Just giving back, ya'know?

Thanks Kyla, this is great . I always appreciate work made available to the community. And I like fluff.

I like it. It's a pretty good base line, if you want to run something more traditional and looking for a mix of fluff and crunch to get the job done.

Edited by kaosoe

Which is precisely why I prefaced it with the decision to make things fluffy. :) It (like everything else I post) is a "use it or don't" gift to the community. I just figure since I did the work I might as well save other GM's the time of doing it themselves, I know I appreciate all the work Don and the others put into their stuff that they post.

Just giving back, ya'know?

Maybe I'm misreading your initial post, but it sounds an awful lot like you're requiring a PC to have the Sense, Enhance, and Move powers before they can begin to consider building a lightsaber. Which effectively puts a 30 XP tax onto the process, in addition to any skill ranks the PC might want to pick up to have a better shot at succeeding the check.

And if you look at Legends, we've got a prime example of a Jedi building a lightsaber without having a lick of telekinetic ability in the form of Corran Horn

Which effectively puts a 30 XP tax onto the process, in addition to any skill ranks the PC might want to pick up to have a better shot at succeeding the check.

That's what I like about it. It encourages breadth instead of depth. And it's not like the PC doesn't get something for their 30XP.

I'll be honest, I really don't see a need for this extra level of complexity in what's already a perfect streamlined system in regards to building a lightsaber hilt.

Plus, the newer canon shows that for the Jedi Order, making your own lightsaber isn't as critical a step in the process of becoming a Jedi Knight as was once believed. In TCW, making a lightsaber is something expected of Initiates as part of the process of proving they're ready to be considered as candidates to become Padawans.

If anything, more of the focus seems to be on getting the crystal than on building the hilt. In Rebels, Ezra building his own lightsaber hilt was treated as something of an after-thought in the episode where he underwent a vision quest to get his kyber crystal.

Agree with Don van on this. I am not a fan of a toll or a gate on things that are inherently a part of the career/specialization. If I want to spend experience on other powers that should not prevent me from getting/using a lightsaber.

It's makes a lot of sense for Age and Edge because it's a lot bigger deal to have a lightsaber. If you are playing one of those games you can send a player on a multi-mission journey to build a lightsaber over time. If you are playing Force you can have them do it over the course of just a few missions as a right of passage to becoming a Jedi Knight from a padawon.

Why can't a non move user make a lightsaber? It happens in the books. I think requiring force powers to make a lightsaber is kind of lame. It is already hard enough to do.

Rather than tie the ability to craft a lightsaber with specific Force abilities, I would just require that they spend a certain amount of XP on Force-related specializations, talents, powers, etc to reflect that they've achieved the overall level of training required rather than bottlenecking every character into picking the same three powers.

As much as I hate to bring up the Mary Sue himself, Corran Horn is a prime example of a Jedi who would be completely %&$#ed by these rules. :V

Or just use the RAW rules of needing to be able to make a lore check. which makes more sense as there were non jedi non sith who could make lightsabers. everyone seems to think only jedi and sith use lightsabers. which is not true.

Or just use the RAW rules of needing to be able to make a lore check. which makes more sense as there were non jedi non sith who could make lightsabers. everyone seems to think only jedi and sith use lightsabers. which is not true.

I dunno; I'm all for including alternate schools of thought with the Force in one's games, but lightsabers have always struck me as a Jedi thing.

Before Maul the only non-Jedi who held a lightsaber was Vader, which made sense because he himself was a fallen Jedi. I always liked this distinction between the dark side and the Force, where the Jedi are the chivalrous knights with their civilized weapons and villains like Palpatine are cackling old wizards or corrupted blackguards like Vader.

This is all personal interpretation of course. If I was playing in a game with alternative Force users I'd hope to see them distinguished from the Jedi and Sith; giving them lightsabers wouldn't really be a step in that direction.

The Jansuraii had them. as have a lot of non jedi in books. In Canon the Inquisitors have lightsabers and they are certainly not Sith or Jedi. And the Inquisitors predate the Phantom Menace.

And the Inquisitors predate the Phantom Menace.

? I haven't seen this, got a link?

And the Inquisitors predate the Phantom Menace.

? I haven't seen this, got a link?

The Fragments from the Rim Supplement from West End Games is where the inquisitors come from. Fragments from the Rim came out in 1993. This is also where Lightsaber Cadences came from as well. It is actually a really really good supplement that is still very useful as it is mostly background info, story hooks etc.