Question concerning tests against remaining health and sanity.

By Zejx, in Mansions of Madness

So recently bought Forbidden Alchemy and it introduced the test against remaining health or sanity. The question that has come up among my friends and I is that should the 1 auto pass 10 auto fail roll apply to this. The only argument against it is that in the original rule book it states specifically its for attribute tests. In Forbidden Alchemy, it says nothing about the auto pass or fail in the rules explaining the non-attribute tests. So since the rules only mention the auto pass/fail rule is under attribute test (which were the only type of tests until Forbidden Alchemy) it shouldn't apply. Meaning if you have 10 or more health/sanity, you pass this test.

Yes, it should. It wasn't that "attribute tests" were specified, it's that there weren't any other sort.

Automatic results for 1 and 10 assure that a player can't have a guaranteed result on a roll. There is always a chance for failure and always a chance for success.

A more interesting question is whether or not you can spend skill tokens to add your luck (I don't remember if there's a rule for this). I would say you cannot, since these stats don't run the same range of values as your other Skill stats.

Edited by Tibs

That is what I was thinking but with a game that is very word specific we had questions about it. Thank you for your input.

And that is a very good question. I would agree with not being able to since there are other checks that you can't use it in. Skill would only be used to raise other attributes and since they call the other checks non-attribute checks, it wouldn't apply.

Edited by Zejx

Yeah, it's in the rules (if you need, I can search): you can't spend clues to add to a Luck check