New Comer - Thoughts on box expansions?

By Brooklyn89, in Star Wars: The Card Game

So I just bought the core set to play with my family and friends. And I would really like to get some more cards so I can play 2v2 and have access to a better card selection for all 6 factions. Is there anything wrong with just getting the box expansions? Or should I get a couple of box expansions and certain force packs?

Thanks!

Edited by Brooklyn89

Welcome to the game! The box expansions are a good way to quickly expand your options in a pair of affiliations. A quick run-down:

Edge of Darkness - Acts kind of like the core set for Scum and Smugglers. Like the core set, only has 1x of each objective set instead of 2x, but that results in more different sets than other deluxe expansions.

Balance of the Force - Focused on multiplayer. Has a single objective set for each affiliation (with specific multiplayer synergies). Also has challenge decks allowing for 1v2 or 1v3 games.

Between the Shadows - Jedi and Scum focused deluxe. Has several popular sets for each affiliation.

Imperial Entanglements - Smuggler and Navy focused deluxe. The Smuggler sets haven't been very popular, but the Navy sets are all very strong and see tons of play.

Galactic Ambitions - Not yet released featuring Rebels and Sith.

Also, you'll find most of the community uses the boards at cardgamedb.com instead of these boards.

So I just bought the core set to play with my family and friends. And I would really like to get some more cards so I can play 2v2 and have access to a better card selection for all 6 factions. Is there anything wrong with just getting the box expansions? Or should I get a couple of box expansions and certain force packs?

Thanks!

One core, one Edge of Darkness and one Balance of the Force should be a pretty great start for up to 4 players. I recommend browsing the packs on Card Game DB *after* you've tried building a few different decks and found play styles for all involved. That should give you an idea of what you want more of, and helps keep costs down.

If your family-friend group becomes truly obsessed with the game, get one extra core and EoD. But casual players will probably be fine with more objective sets over doubling up on the basic ones.

I see many people consider Edge of Darkness basically a second core, since it's essential to do anything fun at all with two of the factions. The big boxes are very focused on two groups, with a few bonus cards for the rest, while the smaller packs give you piecemeal objective sets for everybody, with a common theme. It probably won't hurt to consider each cycle of force packs a unit you should buy all at once. Competitive players are better off picking individual packs for the best cards, while casual groups are served better with thematic sets, in my opinion.

The second expansion I purchased was the Edge of Darkness deluxe expansion which gives you what you need to use the Smugglers and Spies and the Scum and Villainy decks. Also if your thinking what I was when I first bought game than you might logically think to buy the first expansion (the desolation of Hoth) the deck works much better with the other decks together as a majority of the objectives focus on enhancing other Hoth cards. Most deluxe expansions focus on two main factions (i.e. Jedi, The Empire, etc.) Hope this helps!