Stats for Primarchs, Etc...During the Great Crusade And Hersey Era?

By Brother Malachai, in Deathwatch House Rules

I am in a Campaign where due to Warp Shenanigans, my Kill Team has been sent back in time with an Inquisitor and his psyker to the days just prior the Horus Heresy. Of course, that means we are running into alot of rather famous people (The Primarchs, The Emperor, etc...). I was wondering if anyone had some cooked up stats from past games or homebrews for any of the Crusade and Heresy Era Characters? I mean, for the Emperor and Primarchs you could theoretically just give them a 99 in all stats and max out all their skill ranks and add a additional talented rank, but that seems a tad bit lazy. If anyone else has anything they could share in these regards would be appreciated.

I'm not really well-versed in 30k crunch, but you could look at the relation between the stats of a tabletop Primarch and a basic 30k Astartes, so you can get a rough idea about the difference - Marines didn't evolve much in the following ten millennia, after all.

The question is surely more why you would ever need stats for them? If the players somehow ever end up in any sort of situation where they will be facing a primarch or the God Emperor himself then they might as well start rolling up new characters now. Deathwatch marines are good but there is no way they can match the physical strength, resilience and combat excellence of the most mighty warriors of the entire Imperium. They may not have changed that much in 10,000 years but there is no way that a bog standard marine could ever hold up. These beings were effectively made as demi-gods, vastly superior in every manner made from the Emperors own DNA. Then each marione was made using genetic material of the original Primarch but lessened. They are copies of copies of copies.... A Primarch will snap them in two with barely an effort and the smart thing for them to do is to stay out of any and all encounters or they risk causing a massive paradox...but then since when do players always do the logical thing?

Therefore if they do end up in such a situation then the result is just a straight TPK and you should stress this. If players get into a combat with any of these, before they do it you need to just remind them of who these figures are. If they still go ahead with it, don't bother rolling for initiative and you as the GM are more than in your right to say "The Emperor smashes your face in". Therefore you will not need to come up with combat details for these at all. However you will need social details such as their Fellowship, what skills and lore they will have. Now most of them will have mastery of things like lore of war, combat doctrine etc. Few will know of the Warp, the Horus Heresy etc, some will have tech. So you're looking at maybe INTs of in the 60-70 region.

The trick for making character stronger is not simply ramping the numbers up towards 100 but adding modifiers so extra unnatural characteristics like Unnatural Speed, Toughness, Intelligence etc so consider x3 or x4 modifiers for some skills depending on the primarch.

Edited by Calgor Grim

The question is surely more why you would ever need stats for them? If the players somehow ever end up in any sort of situation where they will be facing a primarch or the God Emperor himself then they might as well start rolling up new characters now. Deathwatch marines are good but there is no way they can match the physical strength, resilience and combat excellence of the most mighty warriors of the entire Imperium. They may not have changed that much in 10,000 years but there is no way that a bog standard marine could ever hold up. These beings were effectively made as demi-gods, vastly superior in every manner made from the Emperors own DNA. Then each marione was made using genetic material of the original Primarch but lessened. They are copies of copies of copies.... A Primarch will snap them in two with barely an effort and the smart thing for them to do is to stay out of any and all encounters or they risk causing a massive paradox...but then since when do players always do the logical thing?

Therefore if they do end up in such a situation then the result is just a straight TPK and you should stress this. If players get into a combat with any of these, before they do it you need to just remind them of who these figures are. If they still go ahead with it, don't bother rolling for initiative and you as the GM are more than in your right to say "The Emperor smashes your face in". Therefore you will not need to come up with combat details for these at all. However you will need social details such as their Fellowship, what skills and lore they will have. Now most of them will have mastery of things like lore of war, combat doctrine etc. Few will know of the Warp, the Horus Heresy etc, some will have tech. So you're looking at maybe INTs of in the 60-70 region.

The trick for making character stronger is not simply ramping the numbers up towards 100 but adding modifiers so extra unnatural characteristics like Unnatural Speed, Toughness, Intelligence etc so consider x3 or x4 modifiers for some skills depending on the primarch.

GM speaking, my view on things is slightly different, the much shortened version being "don't be so quick to throw out a plot device" and "cornered players can be pretty clever" as such I don't entirely see the situation as an immediate TPK, player characters of high rank are exemplars of what the astartes can be, a group of them would absolutely be killed in a straight up fight, but not quite that easily. All that being said I don't really need a statblock, I already have some ideas, but since my player's taken some not unhelpful initiative here it would be helpful to get an idea of the communities views on the exact difference in strength between someone like Dorn and someone like Lysander, Vulkan and He'Stan, or Guilliman and Calgar. Are they pale shadows who would barely register, something akin to lesser siblings (who break much easier mind you), or what?

Why stats? I dunno. Ask my GM. I'm just trying to help him out. :P

One of the first advice I got as GM was "If you don't want your player to kill it, don't give it stats". In the end, rolling dice is still just rolling dice, and no matter the probability, bad crazy things can always happen.

Edited by Avdnm

One of the first advice I got as GM was "If you don't want your player to kill it, don't give it stats". In the end, rolling dice is still just rolling dice, and no matter the probability, bad crazy things can always happen.

Again, I am not the GM, you would have to take that up w/ him. I just set up a thread for him.

Oh don't get me wrong, stats are useful and players are crafty. I'm all for crafty and encourage rule bending or ideas so out of the box its actually in a jar in another box and sold as a wonder sauce but there comes a time when even my free reign has to say "no, you aren't thinking your way out of this one". As already said, if you stat line it then the players may kill it.

If you would like numbers I'm willing to advise though and will not snub your plan as much as my last post sounded. It's quite difficult to determine the relative stat value difference between marine primarch as a percentile system gives little to work with when the marines start and can reach half way to 3/4 up that system already and these guys are so many levels of separation higher it's going to induce a coma to climb that high. As a rough comparable though, the psyker ones like Magnus get the immense WP, the wolves get the tough and charismatic. Ultra-cheese get the holier than thou command up to the n-th degree.

I'd give 95 across the board, then insane unnatural x3 as a base, increasing it depending on the primarch for different stats