what all do i really need?

By Tikiwaka, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

I'm new to android netrunner and so far the game looks really amazing. Started looking up expansions and wow is there a lot. I'm curious as to what is really needed and what can i avoid. I don't think i'll be going into any tournament level play at all so it's not like i need the best cards. I'm curious if anything helps make a specific themed deck like the corporation digging through his deck for advancement cards (not sure if any cards actually do this i'm just spitting things out) or some sort of rush deck for the runner. Like i said i'm very new to this only played a couple of games but i'm really getting into it and i really enjoy building my own type of deck. Any info anyone can give will be helpful the last thing i'm just wondering about are those draft packs, if anyone could give me some more explanation on those that would be great. Thank you for your time =)

This is not really a subject for the Rules Questions forum, but no worries.

Draft Packs are randomly assorted packs of cards from the existing card pool. I would not look to those to expand your collection as they are full of jank that works in that setting but not so much overall. But it's a fun time =)

Your best bet to fill out your collection is a second core set. That will give you multiples of key cards and a lot more flexible deckbuilding options. From there, the deluxe sets are a good value because they and the core set are immune to rotation. Two core sets and all four Deluxe sets in the order of your choosing will be a pretty varied card pool for casual play.

I would not focus on the Genesis and Spin cycle packs for the time being, unless you identify specific packs that have cards you want. (Which may be so, just don't feel like you gotta catch em all.) These two pack cycles will rotate the soonest, probably about 18-24 months from now.

Different factions specialize in different things, but don't take this as gospel because what you can build around is going to depend on what you own. Some themes may be represented by cards outside your collection.

HB: recursion effects, gaining extra actions, taxing runner actions. Strong but often somewhat porous ice

NBN: Tagging and resource destruction, fast-advancing (scoring agendas without the runner having the opportunity to interfere). Weakest ice overall

Jinteki: Net damage to slow the runner's game, traps, presenting intractable risks. Ice tends to be hostile or taxing

Weyland: Big, expensive ice, tools to flatline the runner or inflict damage. Some Tutoring effects.

Anarch: destroying corp cards, efficient but limited-scope icebreakers. Tends to have weak economy.

Criminal: circumventing or obviating corp defenses. Often has strong but situational economy.

Shaper: heavy investment in reusable software and hardware, with tutoring and card draw to support. Limited economic options, and potentially slow.

Going forward, I would watch gameplay videos from The Winning Agenda or Bad Publicity because they include a lot of commentary about how their decks work. Use Netrunnerdb to find interesting decks, print paper proxies of cards you don't own, and play decks that look fun and interesting--don't necessarily focus just on what won the last tournament! Buy new packs as they come out, and as you try more things, you'll naturally start to find which packs would be the best value to add to your collection from the back catalogue.

Lastly, don't be afraid of tournament play! Netrunner has a great community that is very welcoming and supportive of new players and features organized play at many casual levels. Even going to a local Game Night Kit event can be a great way to pick up attractive Alternate Art cards or a printed deckbox, and get tips from more experienced players. Making friends in the game will often enable you to borrow a card or two and save yourself a pack purchase, sometimes.

Immune to rotation? Does this mean that the cycle packs are only playable for a certain period?

For tournament play, yes. Once the first data pack of what would be the 8th legal cycle is released, the oldest 2 are removed. Mumbad is only the 5th cycle, so there is still a lot of time left until any rotation begins. This article explains it in more detail: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/5/when-new-programs-overwrite-the-old/

Of course, when just playing with your friends (and if any eternal formats show up at your local game store), you can still use anything you like.

Just start with a core and the deluxes (just the factions you like at first - but you might learn to like the others once you have a decent cardpool), then see if there's anything you *really* want to double up on from the core. There are people who've been happy with two cores, and a good player may not need more than that. I'm very casual, so I think I'm happy with the one core I have. Selective purchasing of datapacks will keep people like me happy.

Corp players are recommended to get Opening Moves for one card that helps against many runner tricks. Draft packs are a scam, just like MtG :)

*sigh* draft packs are not a scam. Draft packs exist to fill a niche for people who like draft play. Don't like to play draft? Don't buy draft packs! They're not for you!

Hence the emoticon ;)