Weasel-Fierce's painted minis

By Weasel-Fierce, in Imperial Assault Painting and Modification

Hi all, just thought I'd share my progress painting my IA units. I only recently purchased the game and some expansions and have been painting them over the last 3 weeks, spending about an hour or two a day after my 2 year old daughter goes to bed. They were painted using a combination of Sorastro's techniques and my own. Pretty pleased with how quickly things are coming together but I still have a lot to do!

I haven't painted the bases yet as I am planning to rebase them on clear acrylic.

image_zps6v6aie4v.jpeg

image_zpsgbozkoqj.jpeg

image_zpsmtvuwmff.jpeg

image_zpsomi2sgjk.jpeg

image_zpsqakt069i.jpeg

image_zpsiyzthkcf.jpeg

image_zpshjrtumbj.jpeg

I replaced Diala's bendy plastic lightsaber with one made from acrylic rod courtesy of Hasslefree Miniatures.

image_zpsiozllayv.jpeg

Following Sorastro's tips, I tried my hand at a glow effect for the lightsaber.

Thanks for taking the time to check them out!

Edited by Weasel-Fierce

I like the clean and bright overall look to the minis, and especially the lightsaber. Very cool.

I found some here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161436215891?var=460475977222 and am blatantly nicking your excellent idea..... just a heads up and thanks ;)

Edited by D503

Very nice work!

The mod light saber that Diala has is an awesome idea!

It looks perfect.

Thanks guys. D503, feel free to steal the idea (it wasn't originally mine anyway!). Nice find on the acrylic but international shipping is ridiculous. I got mine from Hasslefree Miniatures while I was ordering a few other things as well and the shipping was much more reasonable. I'd like to get some red acrylic for Vader as well, but they seem to be out of stock at the moment.

Here's some progress from last night's session. It's not really Star Wars until these two show up...

image_zpsamlyhyza.jpeg

Some more progress from this week.

First up, some Snowtroopers.

image_zpsxloimrya.jpeg

HK-47 and HK-50 droids ready to assassinate some meatbags.

image_zpsqphdqayb.jpeg

Walking Carpets (AKA Wookies)

image_zps5hnwl8w2.jpeg

Edited by Weasel-Fierce

They look fabulous! I especially enjoy the Snowtroopers. So **** hard to get a nice white.

Thanks! I'm quite fond of the Snowtroopers, myself. It was a bit tricky deciding how to paint them but I decided to go with a warmer off-white for the cloaks, and pure white for the armour. White isn't that scary if you use the right paint. I did a white spray, then washed it with a mix of khaki and bone colours (I forget the exact mix), before highlighting the cloth with P3 Menoth White Highlight and then a second highlight of P3 Morrow White, which I also used to paint the armour. Very straightforward and only needed a single coat of white because P3 paints have awesome coverage.

Great paint jobs. They all look very clean and crisp in terms of details and textures. The light effect on the lightsaber is really well done, especially given how tough those can be to pull off. Great idea using the transparent plastic rod in place of the original lightsaber blade.

How did you do the rod? Is it attached flush with the handle? Or did you drill into the handle and pin it in some way?

I just carved out the old lightsaber and filed the area a little to look more like a cloak and hood. Then I just glued it in flush with the handle with a little superglue (not too much or it will have a smoke effect on the plastic). Seems solid enough for now.

stormies!!