Homebrew angel race

By odium1, in Anima: Beyond Fantasy RPG

So after seeing the Demon race that somebody on here made ( https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/136534-demons-could-i-get-some-info/?hl=appearance#entry1474870 ) I decided to do a minor rework of it and make an Angel out of it. Just thinking that if you have demons, well, at some point you're going to need Angels.

Angel:

Blood Bonds : Due to their quasi-divine nature angels cannot develop blood bonds or any thing that requires them to be a descendant, unless the blood-bond or ability states otherwise..

Children of The Glorious Heights : Angels only suffer half damage from Fire and Light effects. Angels cannot buy any Vulnerable to Heat or Light Disadvantages.

Angelic Skin : Angels have an AT3 Physical Armor and an AT2 Mystical Armor. Angels may spend DPs to further buy Physical Armor and Mystical Armor, with the limits of Gnosis described in the Increasing Power Section.

Angelic Form : Every Angel can Shapechange their form between angelic and human form. They must be in Angelic Form to use Form of Divine Wrath. As a side effect they glow with a holy light and they increase their appearance by 2, but do not sexually attract anyone, instead they make people cry in awe or kneel before their might at higher appearances.

Human Form : Angels can shapechange their form to that of a humanoid being of the chosen race and same sex, but they reduce their size by 2 points. While in Human Form, they don’t have any of their racial powers or restrictions. It takes a full turn shapeshifting from one form to the other, and it is an active action.

Increasing Power : Angels can buy selected Creature Powers (described elsewhere) as if they were beings with a Gnosis of 20. The Gnosis Limit goes up to 25 at Level6, 30 at Level11, and 35 at Level16. Their actual Gnosis is not affected by this rule and they are always considered as Natural Beings.

Wings : Angels have natural flight with a Base movement value equal to their agility +1, in Angelic Form or Form of Divine Wrath this manifests as a set of giant white, silver, or golden wings. In Form of Divine Wrath they may be used as Natural Weapons with a base damage equal to the presence of the angel plus half again.

Form of Divine Wrath: acts similarly to angelic form. Same as the others it requires a full turn transformation. A player can only activate form of divine wrath after sacrificing 30 LP, life points lost this way recover at the rate of sacrificed life points. In this form the Angel receives a +1 str, +1 dex bonus, and receives a +30 to All Actions including Initiative. If the player Has natural Weapons increase their damage by 20 points, if the player has Natural Flight, increase their flight value by one degree. and they get a special +40 to Intimidation checks. This form Lasts 30 seconds and it cannot be reverted until the 30 seconds is over.

Divine Power: Angels have +1Str, +1 Dex, +1Con, +1Pow, and +1Per. They count as having inhuman for all checks and ability scores.

Resistant: Angels have +20 to their Resistances. Angels may spend DPs as creature to further increase these Resistances, with the limits of Gnosis described in the Increasing Power Section.

Extremely Variable Powers: Angels can spend DPs to buy the following creature powers as if they had a gnosis of 15 (can be increased as explained earlier), Natural Weapons, Increased Damage, Increased Critical, Special Trap, Natural Flight, Physical Resistances, Physical Armor, Additional Attacks, Increased Reaction, Damage Energy, Armor Modifier, Special Attack, Poisonous Attack, Added Mystical Effect, Independent Attack, Retarded Attack, Disguised Attack, Reflect Attacks, Natural Distance Weapon, Random Additional Attacks, Damage Reduction, Defensive Style, Shield, Incremented Special Attack, Special Movements, Automatic Transport, Increased Movement, Mystical or Psychic Resistance, Innate Magic, Innate Psychic Ability, Aura, Special Means of Vision, Special Senses. Mystical Armor, Permanent Effect, Supernatural Mastery, Natural Magic.

Level Modifier: +3.

And then a Blood bond to go with them:

Arch-Angel’s Blessing:

You have been blessed by an Arch-Angel, granted sacred power. You may take this blood-bond as an angel, it means that instead of being an angel of the Low-Choirs you are an angel of the High-Coirs, but still are not an Arch-Angel, those are for the GM and the GM alone.

Character’s with this advantage are affected by the Unholy as an Angels. Those with Arch-Angel's Blessing can choose 2 special rules from the following list. Spending additional CPs will increase the amount of special rules acquired by 1 for each CP spent and will give access to some special rules.

Angelic Affinity: When attempting a Summon, Control, Bind or Banish roll against an angel, the character has a bonus of +80 to his roll. Also, the character gains a +80 roll on any Social check involving dealing with Angel, and +4Willpower when making opposed Willpower checks with Angelic Weapons or Items.

Elementality: The character becomes an Elemental Being with all that comports. You cannot choose Darkness as his/her Element.

Inhumanity: The character is Inhuman with all that comports.

Heavenly Sight: The character is able to see Magic and Spiritual Beings.

Protection of the Glorious Heavens : The character no longer has any vulnerable point and cannot be instantly killed due to the amputation effect of critical hits directed to his Heart or Head. The character must have spent at least 2CP on this advantage in order to gain this special rule.

Unlimited Power Source: The character automatically regenerates 10 Zeon Points or 1 Ki point per turn, unless he’s in an Unholy place or a place strongly charged with negative energy. The character must have spent at least 3CP on this advantage in order to gain this special rule. Also, choosing this advantage increases by +1 the Level modifier of this character.

COST: 1-3.

I'll admit, I'd have to do a lot of math to check out the race. At a glance the main issue is that Angels are supposedly Natural beings, according to the description of Increasing Power , but that doesn't make any sense at all. They should be Beings Between Worlds, pretty much hands down.

I did take a look at the Blood Legacy. My only issue with it at first glance is the last option, which is a bit... wonky.

+10 Zeon per turn is the same as a Zeon Regen of 288,000. In other words, any angel with this advantage would only ever be limited by their pool when it comes to casting spells, but could maintain pretty much every spell in the game at maximum level after casting without any sort of real hit to their regen level (I haven't actually done the math on this one, but given that the most expensive spell to maintain has nothing close to 1000 maintenance, I'm not worried about it). I get that it totals out to 3 CP and a +4 Level Mod (with the base race), but it's a bit ridiculous.

If I'm reading that wrong, and it's just that they add +10 to their daily regen level, then it's wholly underwhelming for requiring a +1 Level Mod and 3 CP.

Honestly though, the only thing I can suggest is toning it down by... a lot. Any Zeon Regen per turn is too much, and even 1/minute would be 1440 per day, which is a big boost for any mage or summoner, though possibly worth it for 3 CP and 1 LA. Possibly. I'd still need to do some math on it, but it would be at least a bit more reasonable.

Ki Regen per turn has a similar issue, because although it can already be recovered quite quickly, per turn makes it pretty darn powerful. However, if the Alternate Dominus rules are used for recovery then it's actually a bit underwhelming for the costs, since just spending 3 CP can get you to a base of 1 every 2 turns. Whether or not a +1 LA is worth the boost is... debatable, but at least it's not broken like the Zeon one.

Oh, and Inhumanity is a bit redundant since the base race already has it.

Ya i can see where zeon regeneration per turn would be overpowered, the inhumanity portion of it is for if you take it as a non-angel, it's not stricly for angels but it is a blood-bond that they can take, most of which they can't because, well there not descended from the sources that provide those.

the inhumanity portion of it is for if you take it as a non-angel, it's not stricly for angels but it is a blood-bond that they can take, most of which they can't because, well there not descended from the sources that provide those.

That... makes sense. For whatever reason I thought that the Blood Legacy was only for Angel characters. Well, that makes it better, definitely, and it makes a lot more sense too. I suppose that's what I get for reviewing on the fly. XD

@Tyr, I am not surprised that you find the Blood Bond powerful, since it was created by Elric as a Demonic Blood Bond. As you said on the other forum, he definitely makes stuff on the higher powered end of the spectrum.

@Odium, I have not taken a close look at the race, but the Bond should be carefully used. With the Angel race, that final ability gives the character a whopping +5 Level Modifier. However, if it can be taken by a human, then for only a +2 modifier, he gains access to insane levels of mana regeneration. Add that to a Wizard or, heaven forbid (pun intended) Summoner of Angels, then you are going to have a superpower on your hands.

Edited by Nurddude