Morkanaut (and other Ork walkers)

By musungu, in Deathwatch House Rules

Has anyone attempted to whip up Ork walkers for use in Deathwatch? If yes, I'd love to see it - I have to admit I suck when it comes to conversions, so I'd appreciate if you guys could share something.

If nothing comes up, I can just go with slight changes to the Deff Dread from Only War, but I wanted to use something more impressive for the Mekboy in the boss fight of my upcoming adventure.

For a unique boss-level enemy you can pretty much come up with whatever you want. Personally for a Mekboy or Big Mek in a DW game I would go straight with a Stompa, but that's just me. As for actual stats, I would say look at the statline for the Warhound and reduce some stats while keeping the Structural Integrity the same or perhaps even a bit higher (Orky tek and all that). Add to that some kustom weapons and special rules that they whip out in a fight and voila, you have a boss.

For a unique boss-level enemy you can pretty much come up with whatever you want. Personally for a Mekboy or Big Mek in a DW game I would go straight with a Stompa, but that's just me. As for actual stats, I would say look at the statline for the Warhound and reduce some stats while keeping the Structural Integrity the same or perhaps even a bit higher (Orky tek and all that). Add to that some kustom weapons and special rules that they whip out in a fight and voila, you have a boss.

Pfft, as if Ork Stompas have higher structural integrity than mighty Imperial vehicles. They only are held together since they think it holds together. The secret is that it's all just a ton of gaffer tape! An Ork Stompah though is a bit smaller but the Supa-Stompah is about the same in terms of size and firepower as a Warhound Scout Titan. Managed to find this link which provides an interesting comparison. Not sure on accuracy mind...

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/e/e0/Ork_Gargants.gif/revision/latest?cb=20101101072721

So of course it'll need the usual assortments of loadout including a red paint job (makes it go faster ofc), deth kannons, big shoota's or a krusha ball, belly guns...

Can't forget an energy field (work like a void shield) and the hundreds of gretchin sacrificial crew.

Not sure if I'm responding to a joke here, but Ork vehicles have higher structural integrity than equivalent Imperial vehicles. For example in TT a Stompa has 12HP compared to the Warhounds 9HP. Orks rely on the robustness and sheer tenacity of their vehicles rather than advanced armor as Imperials do.

Beyond that I agree with the load-out for it, a Mekboy loves nothing more than making his big new clanking monstrosity his own unique creation. So slapping on any sort of shields, nonsensical weapons and tons and tons of them at that can provide you with some great entertaining situations for your players.

Not sure if I'm responding to a joke here, but Ork vehicles have higher structural integrity than equivalent Imperial vehicles. For example in TT a Stompa has 12HP compared to the Warhounds 9HP. Orks rely on the robustness and sheer tenacity of their vehicles rather than advanced armor as Imperials do.

Beyond that I agree with the load-out for it, a Mekboy loves nothing more than making his big new clanking monstrosity his own unique creation. So slapping on any sort of shields, nonsensical weapons and tons and tons of them at that can provide you with some great entertaining situations for your players.

More of a joke that the sixth edition rule book and the brutalising that my sisters of battle army got in White Dwarf...

They are admittedly not bad on the orks ethos of "more armour, more dakka, more red paint, more spiky bits" which does work but IIRC while they are tougher, in fluff isn't it slightly more unstable? Hit and damage an imperial Titan and it'll hurt but it'll be fine. Hit an ork Titan and if you get through the armour you risk causing serious chain reactions or detonations.

You might cause a chain reaction, but more often the shot will hit some random thingamajig inside the vehicle that was just there because the Mekboy felt like hammering something in there for no apparent reason and then promptly forgot about it.

The adventure went down on Saturday - I decided to stat up a Morkanaut, using Only War's Killa Kan as baseline and increased its stats based on the 7e Ork 'dex (I figured a bigger walker would be overkill). It gave the players a good run for their money, but they still killed it a bit easier than expected.

The successful tactic was basically the Assault Marine (the proud owner of a Melta pistol) zipping around on his Jump Pack and blasting it up close while the others tried to draw its attention and overload its Force Field with small arms fire from cover - I knew the doubled Penetration of Melta weapons up close is a mean thing, but I didn't expect a single Infernus pistol to be enough for the job. Since it was the final fight of a short shoot-'em-up adventure, it didn't get proper screening from allies to prevent that, but other Orks stopping anti-armour weaponry getting close could significantly raise its challenge rating.

That's all, folks, thanks for the advice :)

Edited by musungu

The adventure went down on Saturday - I decided to stat up a Morkanaut, using Only War's Killa Kan as baseline and increased its stats based on the 7e Ork 'dex (I figured a bigger walker would be overkill). It gave the players a good run for their money, but they still killed it a bit easier than expected.

The successful tactic was basically the Assault Marine (the proud owner of a Melta pistol) zipping around on his Jump Pack and blasting it up close while the others tried to draw its attention and overload its Force Field with small arms fire from cover - I knew the doubled Penetration of Melta weapons up close is a mean thing, but I didn't expect a single Infernus pistol to be enough for the job. Since it was the final fight of a short shoot-'em-up adventure, it didn't get proper screening from allies to prevent that, but other Orks stopping anti-armour weaponry getting close could significantly raise its challenge rating.

That's all, folks, thanks for the advice :)

What, no reactor overload result?! Titans should have gone with a big, terrain glassing kaboom!

What, no reactor overload result?! Titans should have gone with a big, terrain glassing kaboom!

It exploded all right, but I messed it up bit as I used the crit chart for plain vehicles. Won't happen again, from now on everything bigger than a Land Raider dies as Titans do :D