Attacking a face down enemy

By Cejel, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Here are two quotes from the Rulebook, Shadow Zone section...

Facedown enemies can be engaged, targeted by effects, or
attacked. If the enemy suffers [wounds], is engaged, or activates, that
enemy is revealed and its card is flipped faceup.

While an enemy is facedown, any effects on its card do not apply.

I am a little confused. Here's the scenario.

Suppose a Hero makes a ranged attack against a face down enemy and rolls 2 successes.

Are the 2 wounds applied before or after the enemy card is flipped face up?

If the face down enemy is flipped up and it has a resilience of 1, does the attack ignore resilience and cause 2 wounds? Or does resilience come into play and only 1 wound is inflicted?

Any help would be appreciated.

As soon as you turn the card over, any relevant card effects will kick in. So if it has resilience it will reduce the damage done. If it is a pesky bat then any damage done will be ignored, because it can't take wounds in the shadows. It's a risk with attacking face down cards.

And don't forget that you have to assign all damage counters to face down cards before you turn them over. So you can't deal a face down card one damage so that you get to turn it over and then decide what to do with the rest of the damage.

Edited by Gazery

I read that differently, since it says it flips when it suffers wounds, that would be after it gets the wounds so the card effects can't mitigate it, right?

One of the "golden rules" states that "cannot" rules are absolute. I dont have the exact wording, but it is in the beginning of the reference book. Also look at the sequence of how an action is resolved in the reference book, wounds are applied (step 6) after applying modifiers (step 5).

I'm pretty sure the original reply is correct.

The most relevant rule is on page 15:

If a facedown enemy cannot be affected by a particular game effect that reveals it, it is still revealed, but the specific effect is ignored. Any associated costs for the effect are still paid.

It would seem that this scenario would also apply here.

Also check the wording on resilience: it ignores wounds "suffered during a hero attack action" to me that doesn't stop them from being suffered in the first place.

Here's a ruling I received from FFG on the subject.....

The enemy card is flipped faceup at the very start of the “Apply Results” step of an action, when the success results are resolved. Thus, resilience still applies and reduces the amount of wounds the enemy suffers, so in your case the enemy suffers 1 wound.
On the other hand, if the same attack rolled zero successes, no wounds are applied and thus the enemy is not flipped face up. Finally, and probably the strangest of the situations, if there was one success, it is applied to the enemy, which flips face up, but then doesn’t actually suffer the wound because resilience reduces it.

Thanks,
Justin Kemppainen
Board Game Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Thank you everyone for the clarifications and Cejel for getting official word on it.