UFOs in orbit changing the timed phase events

By Kendraam, in XCOM: The Board Game

Played a game last night (Domination on Hard with 4 players, no newbies) and on two occasions we got to the end of the Timed Phase and realised we had only had two Research tasks given to us.

Was my Central Officer missing things and there are always 3 Research tasks or does having UFOs in orbit cause some Research tasks to be dropped from that turn?

I was pretty sure you always got the same tasks, just something in different orders once UFOs start scrambling stuff up and thus my CO was at fault.

Incidentally we failed at the final hurdle - got to the Final Mission, completed the first two tasks and then realised the SL hadn't assigned a soldier that could attempt the final task. Doh! We then got massively overwhelmed by UFOs the next turn...the CO went through 3 assign UFOs without being able to place any as all where already on the board!

I'm reasonably sure you always get all 3 Research tasks. The usual cause of missing an event is hitting "Done" as you run out of time on the previous one - though it should still appear in the log.

Unfortunately, there's no way to go back and check the log once the End of Timed Phase has expired (and even during, the earliest events of the phase may have fallen off the bottom of the list), and if you're running short during the phase, you probably don't have enough saved pause time to realise something's missing and go back and check...

thanks rmsgrey

I've done a few dummy runs through the app and it does look like there are always 3 research tasks - I guess my CO fell foul of the hitting "Done" issue you mention.

And thanks for the tip on the log - never paid any attention to it before!

When the player action timer runs out the app simply moves on to the next alert. When an alien event timer expires it doesn't go away until they hit "done" and it eats through the time you would get for your next player task. If you take to long, I suppose you could miss entire actions that way.