Need help for a melee psyker

By janikest, in Dark Heresy

Counter attack can't be parried, so these are the real game changer. Parrying, counter-attacking, one-shot killing your adversary.

Could you point me to the passage where it states that Counter Attack is immune to Parry? Its the first I've heard of that and the talent description itself on page 114 of the 1st Ed. Core Rulebook says nothing on the matter.

Edited by SCKoNi

Counter attack can't be parried, so these are the real game changer. Parrying, counter-attacking, one-shot killing your adversary.

Could you point me to the passage where it states that Counter Attack is immune to Parry? Its the first I've heard of that and the talent description itself on page 114 of the 1st Ed. Core Rulebook says nothing on the matter.

The descriptor of "Reactions" in the 1st Ed CRB specifies that a Reaction may only be taken on an opponent's round.

Page 188: "All characters receive one reaction each round which may only be used when it is not their turn."

Ah I see, thanks for pointing that out to me. :D

Personally I (and my GM agrees with this) just houserule that you may spend your Reaction at any point as long as you still have it. Cuts down on Overwatch or Counter-attack shenanigans.

The ability to parry / counterattack is one key reason why i want a weapon that deals massive damage in one single blow, such as an axe.

The idea is to use a half action to make sure the enemy won't dodge, and half an action to cleave them in half.

There are several possibilities for a melee psyker in that regard:

- Feint (good when you have good WS or against poor WS enemies - can be used nicely with precog strike-)

- Spasm (great ability especially if you go for the overbleed, but has to be used carefuly against pistol wielding opponents)

- Push (against strong oponents, to inflict them levels of fatigue and make sure they won't be able to dodge

- Distort vision + half move => disappear and attack people in their backs

- Knock down action (with 52 str and power armor, you have a good chance to succeed). I would rule that people on the ground can't counter attack

The mechanics of melee in DH is full of possibilities, especially for a psyker, and thats also why i want to give it a try. Full autoing people all the time is kinda boring.

Hello guys,

A few updates about our DH game. (we still play the first edition)

In our 7 members team, my psyker and the guardsman have been a lot combat oriented but both of us really didn't want to go melee, and we avoided it for a long time.

We both patiently developped some abilities and talents to make it viable. I, as the psyker player spent roughly 1000 XP points to get there and some dedication, but it was definitely Worth it.

Guardsman has powersword, and i although it wans't expected, i got a hand on an eviscerator asides my mono great weapon. Guardsman has a power sword.

We have reached a point where our melee damage starts to outstrip range attacks due not only to the talents (Blademaster!) and gear, but also the sheer amount of strength.

Melee can be frustrating and scary to begin with but past a certain level it is really cool