Where do I start? What do I need?

By RLogue177, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

The Star Wars glut has me becoming a bit burned out and it's starting to show in my SW RPG. I'm wanting to take a break from it, and I'm thinking I want to run some awesome fantasy. I don't want D&D or Pathfinder, so I'm looking around for a suitable fantasy RPG.

Which brings me to Warhammer. I've always liked the setting, having been a WFB player many years ago. I've played the 1st or 2nd edition WFRPG long ago as well. FFG generally makes a quality product. All of this makes me interested in FFG's Warhammer.

But I'm looking at the product line list, and I'm wondering where to begin. I see some of it isn't available at the moment, but that's usually temporary with this company. (Unless the line is being discontinued, of course.)

The core box set seems like the place to begin. The descriptions of the Player's Guide and the GM's Guide makes it seem like some of the other products aren't necessary to pick up, including the core. Other products also seem like they contain the same material as the core, like the Player's Vault.

So I'm a bit confused about what I'd want to buy to begin running a Warhammer campaign for my players.

Well the core box is the best place to start. But to be honest, I would suggest a different game.

It is very hard to find material for this game since it isn't really supported anymore.

Maybe dungeon world? Or dragon age? or vampire the masquerade? or numenera?

well, if youstill wantto go for wfrp I would suggest get some dice and the core box. But do some research first before you drop 100 dollars for it :)

The Player's Guide and Game Masters Guide are primarily supposed to "replace" the core box and make the game run without components (i.e. without the cards and cardboard bits etc). So depending on if you like the idea of having a bunch of cards and other "bits" you could choose either the core box or the Guides.

If you want to play WFRP I'd personally recommend the core box as a starting point, as I prefer playing with all the cards and stuff. If you do not want to play using any bits you could go for the Guides.

If you want my list of things to get first this is the order I'd get the stuff in:

• Core box
  • Signs of Faith (priests + Nurgle)
  • Winds of Magic (wizards + Tzeentch)
  • Omens of War (fighters + Khorne)
  • Lure of Power (nobles/social + Slaneesh)

With those boxes you have a solid and quite complete system.Diseases for example is introduced in Signs of Faith, mutations in Winds of Magic, permanent wounds in Omens of War and while Lure of Power doesn't introduce much in the way of new game mechanics it's a solid buy for the social and noble careers and cards in there. Depending on you and your players preferences you could get the "Chaos God" boxes in any order.

EDIT: By the way, when I started playing WFRP 3ed we had only the Core Set and Adventurer's Toolkit, and that worked great for a long time. If you don't want to buy a lot of boxes right of the bat. :)

Edited by k7e9

I also only recently got into Warhammer 3rd Edition when my game store was moving and sold a lot of it out, so I managed to acquire basically everything. So far I've run three sessions of it, and these seems like what I would consider "essential"

• Core Set - The dice and careers in here are great. You'll probably use the components to taste (I do not hand out Wound cards anymore for example, just Criticals), but the dice and the careers are good to have and you can get everything you need out of this.
  • The Edge of Night - I legitimately qualify this adventure as the next most important Most of this setting is in Ubersreik, and apart from loving the layout of the official adventure, there are enough NPCs and minor plot hooks to fuel a bunch of stories I feel.
  • The Creature's Guide - The hardbook is really important, more so than the Vault though I'm enjoying that too. Stats for a bunch new creatures that you can also adapt to anything else. Plus adventure hooks and a lot of fun text for your players.

After that I'll just copy k7e9's list for the four "Chaos" books, and I think the Gathering Storm and the Enemy Wtihin sound very fun but I haven't played either yet. If you can track down a copy of the Adventurer's Toolkit, which seems to be the hardest to find, your players will be very happy but as a GM you can miss it.

Thank you all for the excellent answers.

So it is my understanding that If I picked up the Player's and GM's Guides and the Creature Guide books, then I would need the Player's, GM's, and Creature Vault boxes to get all of the cards and tokens. I would also need/want the Signs, Winds, Omens, and Lure expansion boxes.

Alternatively, I could pick up the Core box, which is currently on the boat, and have all of the above. I would also need/want the Signs, Winds, Omens, and Lure expansion boxes.

On top of either of those, The Adventurer's Toolkit and the GM's Toolkit adds more. And then the Hero's Call box provides for high-level playing.

Do I 'ave it?

Hero's Call adds high-level playing, as well as rules for Ogres (meh), Halflings (Yay!) and origins for Humans/Dwarves outside of the two provided (fairly good).

Otherwise you have it mostly right, although things you have in the Creature Guide/Vault are not found in the Core Set. Since the four "Chaos" sets are fairly important, I find that has a lot of duplication with the GM's Guide, so if you're going to buy those four anyway don't get the GM Guide.

As mentioned, get Edge of Night. Loved that story.

That is correct. Vaults + Guides means you have books, cards and bits. But I believe the price tag is higher than the core set, and the core set contains quite a lot of dice, while the GM Vault only has a few dice (not enough to play).

So if you get the Guides + Vaults you will need at least three or four dice sets as well. The dice packs are also "on the boat" (probably it's the same boat) I believe. If I were you I'd waitiuntil the core set arrives and get that first. However, I can really recommend getting the Guides as PDFs, at least if you have an tablet or laptop, and the PDFs are cheaper than the hardcover books.

Hero's Call is great if you plan a longer campaign, I've also found that it's great to be able to create humans from other provinces than Reikland.

The content in the GM Toolkit is probably the box I use the least. I use the GM screen which was included in the box each session, but other than that I've barely used it.

Players guide gives you some tips/ clarification that does not come with the core rulebook. Also, its hardcover compared to sofcover core box books. My rulebook started falling apart few weeks of use. Also players giude contains all actions and talents , with vaults content you end up with practicly 2 sets of those

The only real bummer to all of this is that the line has been discontinued due to GW blowing up the Warhammer World (Arrrrgh!). We wont get newly developed content (like an Elves expansion!) and there are products that are now simply out of print, with no guarantee that they will get re-prints...the Adventurer's Toolkit comes to mind here. The content in that little box was really great, and really went a long way in expanding the options given in the Core box set. I ended up getting at least one of everything they made, including the guides and vaults that came out later...

Now, I did read somewhere that a fan-made Elf expansion for WFRP3rd was made, maybe someone else can provide a link to that content.

I'm currently having loads of fun with the Star Wars RPG, but I fully intend to come back to this game when Star Wars starts to get stale for us.

Now, I did read somewhere that a fan-made Elf expansion for WFRP3rd was made, maybe someone else can provide a link to that content.

You're probably referring to the Book of the Asur, the fan made project re: High Elves done by Yepesnopes from these forums I do believe. You can find it hosted here at the Daily Empire

http://dailyempire.guildredemund.net/2012/03/the-book-of-the-asur.html

A huge and truly fabulous piece of fan work I think you'll agree