Question about Snare!.

By DoccSampson, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

Hey all,

I played a game this past Tuesday, playing as the Corp: Jinteki. My opponent accesses Snare! from my HQ, and as I was pulling 4 credits from my pool to inflict damage, he presented me with 2 objections. A) Snare could only work when accessed from R&D based on the first line of text. B) He could trash Snare! before I was able to use it. The argument proceeded for 10 mins until I finally conceded just to move the game forward.

Now I know I was 100% right on this, but please vindicate me here. Was I correct in thinking I could use Snare! from HQ.

Also, this is the second time in 2 weeks that I had to argue over something that is very clearly and explicitly stated in the rules. Last week, someone tried to tell me the net damage I inflicted meant they could choose which cards to discard.

Is this common when playing Netrunner (I'm kind of new) or am I playing with grade-A stubborn f**ktards?

Thanks in advance.

Snare! triggers from anywhere except archives. Since it is 'on access', it can't be trashed or imp'd until it has resolved.

I haven't seen this in ANR at all really. You're dealing with some people very uneducated about the game and it is uncommon. Where are you playing at?

I'd rather not say the name of the store, but I'm in South Florida and there is not a huge scene here. From what I've found, there are maybe 5-10 consistent active players down here, but I'm trying to change that. A lot of my X Wing friends have seen me playing and it has piqued their interest.

As far as B) goes, how astoundingly preposterous that would be. It has a ZERO trash cost. If the runner could trash it before it fires, then how could the thing EVER fire successfully?

The first line on Snare! (must be revealed if accessed from R&D) is so the Runner can't ignore the fact they found a Snare! in R&D, and the Corp knows they have an opportunity to trigger it. If pulled from anywhere else the Corp will know they did.

​As others have pointed out your opponent was wrong on all counts.

Edited by CommissarFeesh