Battlelore terrain rules.

By Matt Bartsch, in BattleLore

I just bought the main Battlelore second edition game, I just have a question on what the rule book is meaning when talking about the forest tile. The rules talk about when being in a forest hex "you role a maximum of two dice (before modifiers) when in combat." What does the before modifiers mean? Thanks.

The before modifiers means that a unit rolls two dice when attacking into or out of a forest and then you apply any effects that change the number of dice rolled. For example the Blood Harvester's "rage" ability. Or a melee unit attacking a flying unit. These effects modify the number of dice rolled, but they are applied after the forest's effect of bringing the unit down to 2 dice.

Let's say there is a Blood Harvester unit with two figures remaining. Normally due to rage this unit would roll a total of 4 dice in combat (3 base roll, +1 modifier due to rage). When attaching into or out of a forest they roll 3 total (base roll goes down to 2 due to forest effect, then apply +1 modifier from rage).

Okay thanks, that is what I thought it meant, but just wanted to confirm it.

One other thing to clarify in the game. When you draw a command card that specifies movement, for example "order 3 units in the right section." Units can posibly be a card of 3 figures right? So when moving "3 units" you could potentialy move up to 9 figures? Thanks

Yes, a unit is made up of all figures standing in the very same hex, so, if you have 3 units of 4 figures each, then you move all the 12 figures. For the rules reference, you can find the extended definition in the Ref Guide, pag. 9, under "Units"

Very helpful Thanks

Sorry just a few more questions about Battlelore second edition.

1. Just wondering about the viper legion's spedcial ability. The viper's ability allows you to use poisen if you role the heroic crown marker. Does one role seperatly for the poisen attempt though? For example if I roled the two dice used by the viper at a target, and roled a Heroic and a target, could I use the hit from the target as a damage and then use the Heroic emblem for my special ability in which I would role the dice again, the lore markers the only thing of value to me?

2. Would there be a time where one could not be able to play any command cards because he would not have any cards that would allow him to move? If he had no more units on one or more sides for example? Would he just miss his turn?

Hope these questions are clear thanks.

Hmmm, possibly something got lost in translation?

1. First of all, dice are committed before applying damage (you may want to check the combat resolution sequence in the Reference Guide); then there is no reroll involved in resolving the Viper Legion's poison ability. You commit the Heroic symbol, and give the target unit a poison marker. Then, every time that unit is targetted by an attack (unless the poison status is removed), attacking unit may commit lore results to generate damage (and this includes the Viper Unit when the original attack is resolved, but also any other unit attacking afterwards)

2. If your command cards cannot legally target any of your units on the board, you are allowed to discard one card from your hand to command any one unit on the board, regardless of type and position

Hope this helps

This is helpful thanks.

So if I where to role the crown marker and a target for my two dice attack for the viper legion, could I use the piosen ability for the crown and the target for damage or I can just choose which one of the two I will use?

You can use both during the same attack. It's step 4 of the combat resolution (check Ref Guide, pag 2, under Combat); you may commit both dice and resolve them in the order of your chosing (so, first poison, then lore for damage)

Okay thanks

The Citidal Guard's pursue ability, does one always have to use the pursue's additional attack on the unit that retreated or was forced to retreat? Or could he move in the the retreated unit's original hex and attack another unit adjacent to him?

Hope that clear thanks.

You're allowed to attack even another unit, as long as the adjacency condition is met

Sorry again have a question about the viper legion unit. When they poisen a target, can that target remove the poisen marker away right away with two lore, as soon as the attacking player roles the poisen, or does the attacked unit have to wait until the end of the attacking players turn?

I mean this in the nicest way, but did you read the "how to play" and the keyword rulebook at all?

All of these questions are very clearly anwsered in the books. Look up the viper ability in the keyword book, it will tell you when the posion can be removed.