To late to get into the game?

By captkahos13, in Star Wars: The Card Game

Hey just wondering if it's too late to get into the game? Really interested but added up the cost of getting one of everything so I can be competitive but yeah way to expensive to buy one of everyting.

Unless you are a diehard completionist - then it's not too late. Why not just get the base game and see how you like it. If you do, then you can add some expansions over time.

I get that it's a bit to go all at one time, but we've all spent it wether we started at day one or last month. Like morenachos said, get a core set and see if you like the game. Then use online resources to see what kind of decks you'll like and just by targeted packs. Keep up with the current ones as you go and maybe buy one back pack for each new one if you feel the need to get them all. Remember, they've gone to a rolling system for what is valid in competitive play, and while the first roll off is a year or two away you might never need some of the older stuff.

Unless you are a diehard completionist - then it's not too late. Why not just get the base game and see how you like it. If you do, then you can add some expansions over time.

I just discovered this game over Christmas. I found a Dutch (translated) version which was on sale because apparently the real fans over here prefer the Original English cards.

What a pleasant surprise. I never thought this game was that good.

The game play, theme and flow of this game is surprisingly fast, fresh and exciting.

No doubt I will buy a few expansion packs and since I found an excellent solo variant on BGG, the game will age very well as you can play it with these solo rules or just needs 2 players.

To me it is one of the best games I purchased over the last 18 months.

A great addition to my collection of Death Angel, Lord of the Ring LCG and Warhammer Quest Card game.

Thanks will pick up core set and a few packs I think. Have looked at a lot for it and for sure gonna get a few things. Will to see what is competitive and stick with those packs for sure.

I've found that this is a game that you can literally be competitive with just 2 core sets. (Sith Control, Rebel Vehicles, Smuggler Den, etc).

It is definitely not too late to get into the game.

Hoth, even if you just grab the core set (or two) and this new Galactic Ambitions expansion that should be hitting stores soon, you will have very competitive options right off the mynock. Then you can experience the new shininess with everybody else!

I picked up a Core, the Hoth cycle and Edge of Darkness and feel pretty good about my collection of cards--lots of variety in decks and strategies. I was always intending to continue picking them up a cycle-at-a-time-plus-Deluxe but so far haven't felt a need to.

I am playing casually though, so I'm not concerned about staying optimal.

I hope it's not too late to get into this game.

I am looking at casual play, so I don't think it will be. I have the core set and Edge of Darkness. I have already played it with my Star Wars obsessed daughter, and we've had a lot of fun with it.

Seconding those posters who say it's not too late to get into the game.

The advantage of this being an LCG is that cards don't go out of print (at least not indefinitely), and so you can buy the first Hoth force packs for the same price as the latest Endor force packs. The second advantage is that you can know beforehand exactly which cards you will get from which set.

Buy a Core set (or two if you're lucky and find them for cheap) and you have a strong basis to start with.

I'd advise to also get an "Edge of darkness" set. That way, you can have a basic deck of all factions and get a feel of the different strategies of all factions.

Then you expand on the strategies you like and look for decks that really fit those strategies and first buy the force packs that contain the objective sets you need for those decks.

You can also be look for a play group in your neighbourhood. Most regular players are welcome to new players, and you could always ask them whether you can borrow a deck using more varied cards to get a feel of how specific strategies play.

Another vote here for the solo variant from bgg being excellent and adding infinite longevity even if you have zero opponents.

Awesome game, great cards, easy to obtain due to repeat printings.

Last October I bought a full complete set of all cards off the store shelf and dont regret for a second!

I have a ton of cards. Anyone looking to get into the game should PM me; I am looking to sell some of my stuff.

Two cores, two Edge of Darkness and one of each regular deluxe (anything but Balance of the Force) = huge game that lasts years, casual or not. Fill holes with recommended smaller packs (Heroes and Legends if you like Dark Forces/Jedi Knight, for example). It's not too late as long as you can still buy sets.

Edited by evilidler

You definitely don't need to buy everything to play even at a competitive level.

Yeah, but get all the big stuff and it'll be more fun :)