Silly Idea for Ship Rules in _WoW_

By csadn, in Wings of War

To over-simplify: Take a standard-size _WoW_ plane card; print a naval vessel on it; provide a small maneuver deck for it; use the same maneuver rules as the planes, but allow only one movement per turn (or one every alternate turn for WW2), and require ships to move prior to acft. (to represent the more-limited handling of same).

Or has someone already tried this?

Something like that could work. We havnt used any ships so far. I have been thinking a bit about having a water scenario with flying boats and perhaps a brittish carrier with Pups or 2F1 camels.

However are those models hard to get, only the Pup is easy to find (there is a Hansa brandenburgh flying boat in 1/144 but no italian).

The 2F1 camel is rather easy to modify from a regular camel, the biggest difference is that it only have 1 vickers gun and a Lewis gun in a foster mount. I am building one in 1/72 right now for my try at the larger scale.

But boats are slow compared to planes so the speed should be low even if it only moves every 4th time a plane does. I think a template is best, one you put in front of the boat and shows all locations it can be in the next turn and then you just move it. No one in a plane will be surprised on how a ship moves anyways so there is no need to hide it behind cards.

Pour Le Merite said:

But boats are slow compared to planes so the speed should be low even if it only moves every 4th time a plane does. I think a template is best, one you put in front of the boat and shows all locations it can be in the next turn and then you just move it. No one in a plane will be surprised on how a ship moves anyways so there is no need to hide it behind cards.

Well, for WW1 _WoW_, the ships would move only once per turn, where the planes move three times; which for the period is about accurate.

For WW2, the ships' move rates would essentially have to be "play a stall every turn"; otherwise, there'd have to be a mechanic for figuring out which turn to move them on.

And some models of the 2F1 had *two* Lewis guns and *0* Vickers.... :)

csadn said:

Well, for WW1 _WoW_, the ships would move only once per turn, where the planes move three times; which for the period is about accurate.

For WW2, the ships' move rates would essentially have to be "play a stall every turn"; otherwise, there'd have to be a mechanic for figuring out which turn to move them on.

And some models of the 2F1 had *two* Lewis guns and *0* Vickers.... :)

True, but most had one of each. Heh, they even experimented with 4 lewis guns, both on the F1 and 2F1.

The reason was BTW to be able to shoot down bombers and airships at night. When you shoot a gun in front of you in darkness you get blinded, but the wing is between you and the lewis gun, or so does my books about it say at least. But the lewis did have limited ammo and the vickers was a good gun to have in regular dogfights. I am not sure if the SE5 had the 2 guns for the same reasons however, I miss that book in my windsock files collection.

Yes, WW2 ships are a different matter, at least the smaller faster one. A bombing Bismark scenario would be interesting there.

Which scale do you prefer for boats BTW? models or flat cardboard markers?

schoon said:

Does the ship move? I can't see any markings for movement.

Also, the ship card is considerably bigger than what I was thinking of.