3e: How many dice?

By i101, in WFRP Rules Questions

Hello there,

I recently got into WFP3 and bought me the The Players- Gm and Creatures Guide. Gonna run a WFRP3 light round, so no tokens and cards. My question is now, how many dice do I need? Are 3 sets of enough?

9x blue, 6x red, 6x green, 6x white, 3x yellow, 3 black, 3x purple

I havent read thru the complete rules yet but I found a place that still sells dice ...

I found that with the amount of dice your having to share. Most people tend to buy more so the GM can have his own set of dice pool.

Then more so the rounds go faster.

There is an app as well. But not sure if its still updated.

Edited by DurakBlackaxe

There are a few apps, but if you want to stick with dice I will say that you're a little light on black dice, as misfortune can sometimes pile up. You might want to rule that Fortune/Misfortune cancel each other out since they are opposites of each other (e.g. 3 Fortune, 1 Misfortune becomes just 2 Fortune).

I've had several instances where my players had to roll more than 3 purple, so that'll be hard to get too.

Where is this source of dice you've found by the way? I have the Core Set and two GM Kits, but wouldn't mind one more set of dice.

@DurakBlackaxe: I ve read that there used to be an App for iOS devices, but FFG took it offline.

@Erathia: Thanks for the advice regards the Fortune/Misfortune houserule. I thought so myself that there are too less misfortune dice.

The source? A local gamestore in my town. But it hurts to pay €36 for a dice set that doesnt seem to be enough. Are there any dice stickers available like for the Star Wars RPG?

Yah, a few more blacks would see you right.

I don't believe there are stickers, but you could just map a normal d8 to a Challenge Die.

EX:

1 - Blank

2 - Bane

3 - Challenge

4 - Challenge

5 - Double Bane

6 - Double Challenge

7 - Double Challenge

8 - Chaos Star

There's also an online dice roller I quite like that you could use here: http://brokentome.com/tools/DiceRoller.aspx

@DurakBlackaxe: I ve read that there used to be an App for iOS devices, but FFG took it offline.

There definitely is an ios app because I have it on my phone. I'm bemused as to why it's been taken down though. It's not like it being available affects their sales of dice which aren't available anyhow and always sell like hotcakes whenever they are available. Just another bizarre decision that can be added to the already huge list of bizarre decisions made by FFG regarding this game of ours.

Maybe the WFRP3 community collectively rolled two Chaos Stars once upon a time and this is our penance :)

I think I purchased somewhere around 8-10 dice packs (plus the dice from the core set, we're note playing the light-version). We are a group of 5 playing, so we needed a bunch of dice. Sadly the dice packs are not very well balanced. You get loads of conservative and reckless dice, and only one challenge and misfortune in each pack. So we have too many of some of the dice and the right amount for some.

I'd probably recommend that you start with about 5-6 dice sets for a a normal sized playgroup.

@iOS app: They removed it from the Appstore. Guess we really rolled a few Chaos Stars too much ;)

Thanks for the input everybody. So if I want a fluid dice flow I'll need 5-6 dice sets ... Dang, this hurts ...

Yes, or you'd need at least 4 sets as to begin with, difficulties go up to 4 purple dice (even if it's not very common, especially in the beginning). At times you might need more than 3 black dice in a roll as well. With 4 sets you'd probably cover most roll difficulties and modifiers, but players would still have to pass the dice around the table a lot.

You could allways get a couple of dice packs yourself and then ask the players to buy one each and bring to the game.

Actually since i've only just noticed that the app doesn't work I'm suddenly wondering what's happened. I paid for that app. And if it's suddenly withdrawn shouldn't current owners be notified and/or compensated? I can feel an irritated email to FG coming on.

Actually since i've only just noticed that the app doesn't work I'm suddenly wondering what's happened. I paid for that app. And if it's suddenly withdrawn shouldn't current owners be notified and/or compensated? I can feel an irritated email to FG coming on.

Dice roller still works for me

I am not familiar with Android, but if you buy an App in iTunes and download it on you Mac, you can re-install it again on your iDevice if it got removed from the Store. In case you have not not downloaded it on your Mac you cant re-download it again from the iTunes Store.

(Die. Die. Die)

I was thinking about ordering a 3D printing of modified challange dice. I would swap D8 for D12 just to make Chaos Star appear less often with a bigger impact on game events, leaving the rest of symbols relatively unchanged (there is 50% chance you get a challange symbol and I don't want and don't have to modify it). What do you guys think of it?

The local gamestore in my town could not provide me with the the wfrp3 dice it promised, neither could I find any other source here in europe ...

But Randal smiled upon me and made me make a find at www.TheWarStore.com (USA, NY). I ordered 5 packs a week ago and got them today! Hurray! As much as I love VTT rounds, I still favor sitting at real table with my mates.

If anyone else is looking for additional dice grab them at TheWarStore.com as long as they have them in stock.

:)

I have the iOS app and it no longer works for me. Maybe it no longer works with the latest iOS and FFG is unwilling to pay a programmer to update it.