Pits in Inner region vs Misfortune (and other spells...)

By Filippo, in Talisman Rules Questions

If a character want to fight only a pitfiend in the Inner Region, can Misfortune be casted?

Rules pag 19:

"None of the creatures in the Inner Region can be affected by

any Spell, nor may they be evaded."

Pits:
"Fight the Pitfiends"
Roll one die and fight that many Pitfiends with Strength 4 each one-by-one until either you are defeated or you defeat all the Pitfiends.
You may move on the turn after all Pitfiends are defeated.

Misfortune:
"Cast on any character who is about to roll a die. That die automatically rolls a “1” result and cannot be rerolled."

I think the most important thing is the -target- of the spell.
The target in this case isn't the creature, it's the character, so I presume I can use misfortune. Is it correct?

For the same reason, I think I can't use Finger of Death because the target is the creature. Is it correct?

What about Fireball?
"Cast when you are about to engage in battle . Roll 1 die and add your Craft . If the total is higher than an opposing creature's Strength , it is killed . If the total is higher than an opposing character's Strength , he must lose 1 life . Otherwise the Fireball has no effect."

Thanks.

Edited by Filippo

If a character want to fight only a pitfiend in the Inner Region, can Misfortune be casted?

I think the most important thing is the -target- of the spell.

The target in this case isn't the creature, it's the character, so I presume I can use misfortune. Is it correct?

For the same reason, I think I can't use Finger of Death because the target is the creature. Is it correct?

What about Fireball?

"Cast when you are about to engage in battle . Roll 1 die and add your Craft . If the total is higher than an opposing creature's Strength , it is killed . If the total is higher than an opposing character's Strength , he must lose 1 life . Otherwise the Fireball has no effect."

Thanks.

Misfortune - correct

Finger of Death - correct

Can't use fireball

Hi (I'm not really new btw - I was Séamus Mór but couldn't log in),

You can't use Misfortune when rolling for the number of Pit Fiends. This is because the roll is not directly relevant to your character - it just determines how many Pit Fiends appear.

Hope this makes sense,

Jack

Hi (I'm not really new btw - I was Séamus Mór but couldn't log in),

You can't use Misfortune when rolling for the number of Pit Fiends. This is because the roll is not directly relevant to your character - it just determines how many Pit Fiends appear.

Hope this makes sense,

Jack

Well, I am pretty sure you can use Misfortune when you are about to roll for the number of the Pit Fiends.

The target is the character, you can most certainly use it to determine the number of pit fiends, and someone could cast it on you when you're about to fight them also.

The target of Misfortune is a character, yes. But the die roll on the Pits space concerns the number of Pit Fiends that appear, which is completely unrelated to the character. You *cannot* cast Misfortune or use fate on die rolls that are independent of the character.

Rolling for the number of Pit Fiends is exactly equivalent to rolling for the Vampire's Tower and the Werewolf Den, both of which are completely character-independent rolls.

Edited by Jack Naples

Gentelmen, may I quote relevant passage from the Bib....rulebook :)

Fate is a measure of a character’s luck and fortune.

Once per die roll, a player may pay one fate token to reroll one die he has just rolled under the following circumstances:

1. Rolling a die for his character’s movement.

2. Rolling a die to determine his character’s attack roll.

3. Rolling a die due to the instructions on a card or board space.

A player may not pay fate tokens to reroll a die used to determine a creature’s attack roll or to reroll another player’s die roll.

So yes, the pits can be affected by fate.

Exacto~

Sorry, but you're misinterpreting the rules here.

3. Rolling a die due to the instructions on a card or board space.

Instructions that *pertain to that character* only. You *cannot* reroll for the Earthquake, or the Fire in the Dungeon, or the Planeswalker's teleportation. Nor can you in the Pits.

I have definitely got this from Elliot somewhere, I'll try and find it...

Here we are:

Q: Creatures like the Hydra in the Reaper Expansion instruct that once it is killed, you roll another die and on a 1 or 2 the creature regenerates and the battle is considered a Stand Off. If you roll a 1 or 2, can fate be used to re-roll the Regeneration die?

A: You cannot pay a fate token to re-roll the die to see if the Cave Troll or Hydra regenerate. It is a direct effect of the creature and not a direct effect on your character.

Q. Can I use Fate Tokens to re-roll the dice on "Dice with death" in the inner region?

A: You cannot spend a fate point to re-roll a die for "Death". Fate can only be used to re-roll a die for your own character.

That's nice that Elliot has his opinion, but it clearly contradicts what's written in the rulebook. Sorry, but there's no ambiguity in the chapter on fate. Even if game's creators inteded it to work differently, they should have made better job with writing. What they put in the book leaves no room for interpretation - you can reroll any roll ordered by the space you land on.

FAQ will not change that, although errata would.

FAQs are great if you are uncertain about a rule, but this is not the case here (at least for me, it's ok to disagree :) ).

Edited by Bludgeon