New Faction Specific Formation Commands

By Commediante, in Only War House Rules

I invented them for Tyranids and Tau (from DW) and Eldar (from DH2). There they are

Tyranid Commands

Synapse Creature

Passive

Description: Tyranid Synapse Creatures are natural commanders, able to communicate with lesser beasts on the most basic level and practically share the same will through the Hive Mind.

Tyranid Overseer receives Synapse Creature Trait if it doesn't already have it. Aditionally when the Overseer is slain, besides normal effects, Underlings are knocked down to the ground and stunned for 1 round. In addition the Tyranid uses Willpower instead of Command in Tests involving the Formation.

Endless Numbers

Action: Full Action

Subtype: Concentration

Description: With loud shriek or roar, propagating through realspace as well as the warp, Synapse Creature summons new beasts that arrive through the vents or underground tunnels.

The Overseer makes Willpower(0) Test with a penalty equal to -5 times Unit Strength. If it succeeds it increases US by the number of DoS. This way US may exceed starting number.

Wall of Blades

Action: Half Action

Subtype: Attack

Description: Fury of the Hive Mind is unleashed upon it's foes, when Underlings in a Formation leap over their fellow bio-soldiers and climb over their backs to slay the enemy.

Command allows the Formation to attack for a second time in round if the first Command was Half Action Attack Command. It also makes the Formation more vulnerable to Spray and Blast weapons - they kill respectively 1 and 2 aditional Underlings for every Underling killed (in adition to normal bonuses).

Stairway of flesh

Action: Full Action

Subtype: Movement

Description: A Tyranid is but a tool of destruction subject to the will of Hive Mind, but when the stakes are high it may serve even less worthy purpose.

Overseer commands his Underlings to form a pyramid of bodies that other Underlings and himself use to climb over a wall, ridge, etc. They can move number of meters equal to their Half Move horizontally as well as vertically. For this the Formation has to test it's Climb(0) with a penalty equal to -5 times Unit Strength. They always succeed, but for any DoF 1 Underling is killed.

Now, what's the idea behind this set of Commands?

First of all I thought that Nid Underlings will be waay to easy to kill, comparing to Overseer. The easiest way around it is to increase US, but this would eventually turn Formation into a horde, being too difficult for any PC squad. That's why I made Overseer more rewarding target:

-When it dies it throws Underlings on the floor and stuns them, ready to be slaughted.

-When it is alive it can summon new Underlings and it's easier when US is lower, so no Overseer = no new Nids

Then I nerfed Nids a lil bit, because you know, Deathwatch. Synapse Creature is great Trait, but most potential Overseers have it anyway and without that penalty for dying.

Wall of Blades and Stairway of Flesh are those commands that reflect that "there's no escape from the horde" feeling concerning Tyranids. Almost all the Underlings are killed and PC's are happy? Not for long, they can still make 2 attack commands per round. PC's are in some kind of a tower or hanging platform from which they empty their magaiznes over the Tyranid Formation? No worry, they'll build a pyramid of their own bodies and climb to it in one turn.

I wonder what you think about them :)

Edited by Commediante