Beastmen for 40k

By Gurkhal, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Hello guys! I've been away but have now returned at least for a while. :)

I've got these bunch of critters that I thought I would share and see if they would need some modifications before I unleash them on my players. I am a firm believer in the diversity of life and antagonists in 40k and so I hope that these hyena-based Beastmen will add something beyond the usual cults and mutants that my players normally encounter.

If my descriptions for their looks leaves something to be desired, think of them as looking kind of like Gnolls from D&D. In advance I apologize that English is not my native language and mention that the bite attacks are indeed intdended to be their primary danger, and ensure that they can both be faithful to the real hyena animal and that they can pack a punch against also experienced and well-armed Acolytes.

EDITED: I see that I left out something to penalize social interaction with non-Beastmen for these guys. Rest assure it will be added in the final draft, they supposed to be clever but not candy-like.

Corpse Stealers (Brown Hyena)

Appearance

The mutant has a basic humanoid build with long and shaggy coat of dark brown hair with grey and tawny parts on the head, upper body and legs, as well as a dark brown tail. Down their backs one can see a long black mane of fur. They have hind legs and hands with four digits, including a thumb. Their heads are shaped like a hyena’s with a powerful set of teeth and muscles of drive the strong jaws.

Behavior

In terms of diet the Corpse Stealers are mostly scavengers and tends to favor living near and on supplies of human corpses, but they are not beyond creating corpses to feed on if an the opportunity would present itself with little risk to themselves.

Larger cooperation between packs can happen but it’s fairly rare, as are larger packs than at most a dozen individuals.

Social Structure

They tend to live in small biologically related groups of around 5-7 individuals which for the most part create a lair to sleep in for themselves. In terms of mobility its often young males who leaves their old packs in order to find new ones or just being driven by wanderlust

The hierarchical order is determined by fighting between the involved parties.

Inquisitorial Review

Classification : Hereticus Minima

The Corpse Stealers are considered to be a minimal threat on a large scale and at best an irritation on the local level. They are deemed to lack the ability to become a threat but can deteriorate an existing problem.

Corpse Stealer

WS 30

BS 25

S 35

T 35

Ag 30

Int 25

Per 35

WP 25

Fel 30

Movement : 2/4/8/16 Wounds: 10

Skills

Athletics

Awareness +10

Dodge

Linguistics (Hyena)

Linguistics (Low Gothic)

Resistance (Bad Food)

Stealth +10

Survival +20

Talents

Sprint

Heightened Senses (Smell) +20

Traits

Improved Natural Weapons (Bite)

Natural Weapons (Claws)

Size (3)

Tongue of the Beast*

Attacks

Claws (1d10+3)

Bite (1d10+4)

Laughing Devil (Spotted Hyena)

Appearance

The Laughter Devil is a humanoid with a spotted black-on-yellowish-grey fur, with rounded ears, short nose, hind legs, a short tail and an almost bear-like build.

Behavior

The Laughter Devils are predators to the bone and rejoice in the thrill of the hunt, attacking preys larger than themselves in vicious packs or sneaking up to drag the unawares into the night. Aggressive, intelligent and territorial the Laughter Devils are most infamously known for their laughter which many humans take as a sign of mockery by the mutants. As highly intelligent creatures, the Laughter Devils are known to spring elaborate traps and use refined tactics against prey, rival and enemy, as well as using looted or stolen weapons and equipment, in particular if there are other anti-Imperial elements to give them instructions regarding these.

While the Laughter Devils usually congregate into packs of potentially hundreds of individuals they are also perfectly capable of having several of these packs cooperate towards a common goal over an extended period of time and through harsh opposition.

Social Structure

The normal unite is large packs, often over a hundred individuals, which are dominated by the aggressive female members and tends to be the scene of fierce power-plays and jockeying for position, status and prestige. The pack is itself lead by an alpha who can muster sufficient backing within the pack to cow would-be-challengers.

Inquisitorial Review

Classification : Hereticus Majoris

Individual Laughter Devils should not be underestimated and the fact is that when growing in numbers they can become a problem on a planetary level to Imperial rule. Thus it is advised that if possible they are exterminated when possible and if not, that their population is kept under observation to allow the deployment of resources in order to curb it before it goes out of control.

Examples of Laughing Devils

Laughing Devil Alpha

WS 45

BS 25

S 45

T 45

Ag 35

Int 42

Per 35

WP 25

Fel 55

Movement: 3/6/9/18 Wounds: 23

Skills

Athletics

Awareness +10

Command

Dodge

Linguistics (Hyena) +10

Linguistics (Low Gothic)

Intimidate

Resistance (Bad Food)

Stealth +10

Survival +20

Talents

Heightened Senses (Hearing, Sight) +20

Pack Master**

Swift Attack

Sprint

Takedown

Traits

Improved Natural Weapons (Bites)

Natural Weapons (Claws)

Tongue of the Beast*

Attacks

Claws (1d10+3)

Bite (1d10+5, Tearing)

Laughing Devil

WS 40

BS 25

S 40

T 40

Ag 30

Int 38

Per 35

WP 25

Fel 50

Movement: 3/6/9/18 Wounds: 13

Skills

Athletics

Awareness +10

Dodge

Linguistics (Hyena) +10

Linguistics (Low Gothic)

Intimidate

Resistance (Bad Food)

Stealth +10

Survival +20

Talents

Sprint

Traits

Natural Weapons (Claws)

Tongue of the Beast*

Attacks

Claws (1d10+3)

Bite (1d10+5, Tearing)

Laughing Devil Witch

WS 40

BS 25

S 40

T 40

Ag 30

Int 38

Per 35

WP 25

Fel 50

Movement: 3/6/9/18 Wounds: 13

Skills

Athletics

Awareness +10

Dodge

Linguistics (Hyena) +10

Linguistics (Low Gothic)

Intimidate

Resistance (Bad Food)

Stealth +10

Survival +20

Talents

Sprint

Traits

Natural Weapons (Claws)

Psyker (2)

Tongue of the Beast*

Psychic Powers

400 XP powers

Attacks

Claws (1d10+3)

Bite (1d10+5, Tearing)

Extra

* Tongue of the Beast: Only use full Fel against Beastmen or other beastial creatures (GM's discretion), otherwise interaction suffers a -30 penalty for the character

** Pack Master: Through a successful Fellowship test, the character can make a number of allies do a half-action in the character’s own turn. The number of allies is limited by the Fellowship bonus of the character making the test.

Edited by Gurkhal

I'd suggest increasing their speed a bit with Sprint or something; the little ones are going to be slower than your average human, which means a brisk pace can save you.

I'd suggest increasing their speed a bit with Sprint or something; the little ones are going to be slower than your average human, which means a brisk pace can save you.

Thanks!

This is precisely the kind of stuff I'm looking for. More is always appreciated! :)

Very cool!

Since you mentioned that English is not your native language, I'll point out that the Laughter Devils should probably be called Laugh ing Devils.

You should also post this over in the Fan-Made Bestiary in the GM's section.

Edited by Adeptus-B

Very cool!

Since you mentioned that English is not your native language, I'll point out that the Laughter Devils should probably be called Laugh ing Devils.

You should also post this over in the Fan-Made Bestiary in the GM's section.

I'll bring it over to the fan beastiary. Thanks!

Edited by Gurkhal