Dodge and Parry changes.

By phantam23, in Dark Heresy House Rules

I'd just like to share a small change to the dodge and parry rules I use for most of my games. Not sure if it merits it's own thread but here we go.

Parry and Dodge changes.

Parry and Dodge are Evasion actions which use up your reaction for the turn..

A parry is announced after the attack roll is made but before damage is rolled. Passing the Parry roll negates the attack and every two degrees of success negates another attack. You may only parry close combat attacks and shooting or throwing attacks made within a metre of you, possibly more based off your weapon. When parrying close combat attacks, you suffer a -5 penalty for every 1 Strength Bonus the opponent has over you.

A dodge may be announced at any time during your turn or the enemy turn to move your half turn movement speed in any direction or jump your base jump distance in any direction. A dodge may be called after an opponent declares an attack but before it is rolled to inflict a penalty on the roll. The player rolls his dodge and imposes a -5 penalty for every degree of success on the roll. Movement must be occur for the dodge to be counted unless the character is already in cover. If the player successfully reaches cover in that move, hits against locations covered by the cover are resolved against it. If the player is already in cover, every degree of success causes one hit to be resolved against the cover.

I like this for the sake of verisimilitude, but it is definitely feels a bit bulky/cumbersome.

Personally I have my players declare Parry/Dodge after the attack roll, but before the damage roll, featuring as an Opposed Check: Parry/Dodge test vs the attack roll, subtracting the amount one succeeded by from the other, and dividing by ten to get the net degrees of success/failure.

One thing I've had to houserule is dodge and the use of personal shields.

It never made sense for my players to roll, wait to see if the shield worked, and then dodge. Unless they're Neo, dodging a bullet one foot away from your face is both silly and impossible. Therefore, before testing the shield, they have to declare whether or not they're dodging.