Total Ripoff!!!

By Jeff Kaos, in XCOM: The Board Game

So I ended up getting this game for Christmas, downloaded the app on my Kindle Fire HD setup the tutorial game and.....NOTHING!. The **** app just froze on the load screen. I decided to try the "Easy" game and the same thing. Not at all impressed by this gimicky piece of crap. I knew that buying a game that required a separate app to play was a gamble but Fantasy Flight makes quality games so I took that gamble. And I lost. I got the stupid game from Amazon so I guess I'll see how the return policy works on a game that's been opened. Before I return the game next week I'll try to see if the app works if I re-download it.

Use any iOS or Android devices. It isn't meant to support other mobile platforms (it may work but not guaranteed).

So I ended up getting this game for Christmas, downloaded the app on my Kindle Fire HD setup the tutorial game and.....NOTHING!. The **** app just froze on the load screen. I decided to try the "Easy" game and the same thing. Not at all impressed by this gimicky piece of crap. I knew that buying a game that required a separate app to play was a gamble but Fantasy Flight makes quality games so I took that gamble. And I lost. I got the stupid game from Amazon so I guess I'll see how the return policy works on a game that's been opened. Before I return the game next week I'll try to see if the app works if I re-download it.

I've played the game using the app on a friend's Kindle (I forget which model) - the game worked fine except for one thing - the splash screen before each Timed/Resolution phase didn't display the button to start the phase - the button was still there (middle third of the screen width, about 20% of the way up) and could be pressed to start the 5 second countdown (also not displayed) before the first action came up.

If you tap the screen a few times around the right sort of place and then wait for a while, there's a good chance you'll get it to continue that way.

I don't know why that's the one thing that doesn't work on Kindle, but the real surprise is not that something's broken, but that anything works at all on a platform that the software isn't designed for.

For future reference, most, possibly all (I've not come across an exception), "required" game apps can be downloaded for free before purchasing the game, so you can check them out on your device and discover this sort of thing before spending money...

I've played the game using the app on a friend's Kindle (I forget which model) - the game worked fine except for one thing - the splash screen before each Timed/Resolution phase didn't display the button to start the phase - the button was still there (middle third of the screen width, about 20% of the way up) and could be pressed to start the 5 second countdown (also not displayed) before the first action came up.

If you tap the screen a few times around the right sort of place and then wait for a while, there's a good chance you'll get it to continue that way.

I don't know why that's the one thing that doesn't work on Kindle, but the real surprise is not that something's broken, but that anything works at all on a platform that the software isn't designed for.

For future reference, most, possibly all (I've not come across an exception), "required" game apps can be downloaded for free before purchasing the game, so you can check them out on your device and discover this sort of thing before spending money...

Thanks for the advice; I'll give it a try. As for the app not being supported on the Kindle all I can say is "why is it on the Kindle Store then"? There's nothing at all on the Kindle Store page that indicates that it may not work properly. And as for testing an app for a game before purchasing it I've learned my lesson: if I can't play the game "out of the box" I'm not buying it. It may be the best game ever but I have enough great games that I won't be missing anything.

Jeff Kaos, on 18 Dec 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:
Okay so I know the Windows phones isn't all that popular but c'mon, people still use it. Not even an app for Kindle? Kindle is probably the second most popular tablet out there. I understand I can run the app from my computer but hell if I did that I'd just play the **** video game. Sorry if I sound angry but I really wanted this game but it seems like FF doesn't want me to. Any word on if they plan on making the app available to everyone?

you made a thread about the app not being available on Windows Phone. Complained about the lack of Kindle support. Then 3 weeks later come back to say you purchased the game and feel ripped off that it does not work on kindle? I have many friends who enjoy this game and even after a year from it's release it finds it's way to the table now and then. I'm sorry you never got the chance to experience the game the way it was designed to be played. I for one hope that FFG keeps exploring the mixing of chipboard and cardboard as the possibilities are endless.

Edited by Osoroshii

Thanks for the advice; I'll give it a try. As for the app not being supported on the Kindle all I can say is "why is it on the Kindle Store then"? There's nothing at all on the Kindle Store page that indicates that it may not work properly. And as for testing an app for a game before purchasing it I've learned my lesson: if I can't play the game "out of the box" I'm not buying it. It may be the best game ever but I have enough great games that I won't be missing anything.

There is web version, you can just use the browser on the Kindle and run it.

I ran into the same "button missing" issue on my old phone, but my Kindle Fire and new Samsung work perfectly. I thought the app had frozen too but after punching the screen a few times I found out there is just some display issue with the button but the code for it is still functioning.