Difficulty Question

By DurinIII, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Hello all,

My wife and I have played 6 games so far, all the first quest and we CANNOT win. We always find ourselves under the same amount of pressure once in the last location. We are beginning to think the game just comes down the lucky dice rolls and how many bad cards happen to comprise the dungeon deck that game.

We love the game but we want to win occasionally! I mean this game is harder than LOTR LCG and that's often not an easy game!

So, for those of you who have beaten the first quest, how did you manage to do it? Thanks for the help!

First off characters, we used the warrior priest (WP) and Waywatcher (WW) first successful time.

Plan each turn carefully and preferably a turn ahead. If you know Grump is going to drop in 2 turns you should have the WP ready with 2 success, empowered and another action to tap for when he lands.

Use the WW to keep or move things into the shadows. Anything bar bats in the shadows dissappear when you travel so WW rest that Orc Boy into there or tap that rat swarm that is already there with WW explore.

Finally Explore, Explore, Explore. Exploration is the key to winning the first quest. You should be traveling turn 2 at the latest, and with luck have traveled twice at the end of turn 3 (from killing Grump and adding his 4 explore tokens).

Hey Vixen,

Thanks for the tips! All solid advice. We tried again and it came down to two explore rolls(one for the WW and one for the IB) and we rolled only one success out of 4 dice. Sad day. We needed 2 successes to win.

Is it imperative that we kill Grump at least once? Cause we generally just leave him in play once he spawns the first time...which means he wounds us alot...but he's hard to kill!

Are you continuing to the next adventures in the campaign? You don't have to win a quest in order to continue. In fact, I suspect they specifically crafted this first campaign in order to ensure you win some and loose some, to see how the quests all tie together.

Hey John,

Though we are aware we can simply continue on to the next quest, we really want to beat the first one before we do. We'll probably give it a few more tries and if we don't win start the second quest. I assumed the game just gets harder as it goes along...is that not necessarily true?

Thanks for responding!

Is it imperative that we kill Grump at least once? Cause we generally just leave him in play once he spawns the first time...

I would say all story quests are fairly balanced, except the third one, which is very punishing if you play with less than four characters. That one may needs errata, or we just need to find the right strategy (I really hope it is the later!).

Edited by Rince