First mission designed - would appreciate feedback...

By Waldorf28, in X-Wing Mission Control Technical Support and Feedback Forum

Imperial forces have finally located a secret pirate base which has been a constant thorn in their side in this sector. Catching the pirates unawares they must purge the infestation by destroying the base.

Notice the Scum deploy with their backs to the enemy, and that the Imperials might get a swifter victory if they can get bombers through the Scum lines to hit the base. The Imperials have a decision to make with their deployment - they can get closer to the base more quickly if they fly in tight formation.
All constructive feedback gratefully received.
Edited by Waldorf

One thing you should definitely do is better define how players should set up the asteroid bases, their rules (do they act as obstacles that can be targeted, can they be target locked, etc).

Another thing to consider is that the attacking player will probably be single-mindedly attacking the asteroid bases to destroy them as quickly as possible. While that makes things straightforward to balance, the gameplay itself may suffer. X wing is often its most fun when players are dogfighting, and attack missions like this tend to devolve into one player making a predictable attack run while the other tails them, shooting them. It all turns into more of a dice game of chance than a dogfight.

To avoid that problem with a scenario like this you need extra layers to tackle, something to find race the attacker to engage the defender, and preferably present them with some interesting choices along the way.

I also think you should add in more obstacles- I've tried scenarios without obstacles, and it can make for a dull maneuvering game.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes I considered the linearity of the Imperial's brief but was hoping that the fact the asteroid base is quite hard to kill and that the Scum have to turn around to engage might make that OK. Also that the win conditions reference how much fleet survives I was hoping would prevent suicide runs.

Tightening up the asteroid base rules is a good call. I think I will add that they need to be touching when deployed and cannot be Target Locked. The scenario as written already covers the fact that they act as obstacles in every other regard.

As for more obstacles, yes I agree. I'll pop some in the open channel on the right.

Have made some tweaks. Haven't added alternative goals yet. We'll play it next week and I can make it more complex if a play test demands it. Thanks again.

I would also define the agility value of the asteroid bases; I assume it's zero but you should have it down in the rules. Also, do asteroid base tokens get plus 1 defense dice for range 3?

I would definitely recommend adding layers to avoid that suicide run. I'm pretty sure the obvious best play is to make an attack on the asteroids immediately, as the attacker. engaging the defenders is risky. If they start losing, they may get too thinned out to kill the asteroids before getting swept; if they ignore the asteroids, it's pretty much an even fight, but you just have a 200pt dogfight at that point. I've play tested a lot of very similar scenarios and found this to be the case; but definitely try this out a few times yourself.

We played it, but I forgot to post a follow-up. The Imperial player moaned and moaned about how impossible it was going to be, so we dropped each base asteroid to three hits and one green dice. He promptly mopped them all up and won.

Would probably adjust them to four hits each with a green dice. Another tweak would be to reduce Scum points to 150.

I'll update the scenario when I'm not on my phone :) .

Edited by Waldorf

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

But seriously... "dropped out of warp "?

Treason. :)