questions after 1st play

By Flyingmojo, in Talisman Rules Questions

Hey all

I ended up with a list of questions after a very enjoyable night of Talisman with my family. It was our first play, so we are still trying to figure things out

1. I used the "random spell" on a character right as he drew a card, before he attempted to resolve it. He got turned into a toad. His argument was that he should resolve the encounter first, then get turned into a toad. I disagreed, but let him go ahead and resolve first. However, because you can cast the spell at any time, my thought is that its effect is immediate, once it is cast, regardless of what is happening at the time. Thoughts?

2. When you draw 2 or more cards, the order of encounter is not the order you drew the cards, but based on the number in the lower right corner, correct (lower numbers first)?

3. If there is gold or any item/follower, etc on the space you land on, you have to draw a card and resolve any encounter(s) there first, correct?

4. When you draw a beneficial card and any card that requires a roll to determine what happens, you get receive the benefit or roll to determine the effect that turn, correct (unless you had to face an enemy first)? If correct, then wouldn't a good-aligned character drawing a fairy get to use the wish the turn it was drawn?

5. When you defeat an enemy that was encountered through the effects of a space, as opposed to drawing card, do you get to take that enemy as a trophy (for instance, when you get tipsy and fight the farmer at the tavern)?

6. I am pretty certain that items like the shield, helmet and armour can stack - in other words, you can have all three items, and get to roll three separate times, correct? Obviously, if this were true, you'd still have to get the right die rolls per item, declaring what item you are using, rolling a 4,5, or 6 for the armour, and 6 for the helmet and shield.

I'm sure I'll have more questions once we play again :)

Thanks

Mica

First, welcome to the forums and welcome to the wonderful mystical fantasy world of Talisman.

1. I used the "random spell" on a character right as he drew a card, before he attempted to resolve it.
He got turned into a toad. His argument was that he should resolve the encounter first,
then get turned into a toad. I disagreed, but let him go ahead and resolve first. However,
because you can cast the spell at any time, my thought is that its effect is immediate,
once it is cast, regardless of what is happening at the time. Thoughts?

If you are turned into a toad, there's nothing to put that effect "on hold" - he should've
been turned into one immediately.

2. When you draw 2 or more cards, the order of encounter is not the order you drew the cards,
but based on the number in the lower right corner, correct (lower numbers first)?

Yes, but do keep in mind that if you draw 2 cards with these same encounter number (not enemies)
you encounter the first card you drew first.

3. If there is gold or any item/follower, etc on the space you land on, you have to draw a card
and resolve any encounter(s) there first, correct?

Just gold - yes. Items - depends on the space. Because the cards on a space count towards the maximum
number of cards that you draw on that space. (even if it is a card from the purchase deck etc.)

E.g. if there is a sword on a "hills" (draw 1 card if there is no card here) space, a character that
ends his movement there can either pick up the sword and end his turn or do nothing and end his turn,
because he can't draw a card as long as the sword is on that space.

If the sword would be on the city space, he could either pick it up or leave it there and after that he would still
encounter one of the board space options.

4. When you draw a beneficial card and any card that requires a roll to determine what happens,
you get receive the benefit or roll to determine the effect that turn, correct
(unless you had to face an enemy first)?

For example: If you draw a Fountain of Wisdom, you can take a craft cone of of it, yes.
Enemy + Fountain of Wisdom: If you manage to kill the enemy first, yes.

If correct, then wouldn't a good-aligned character
drawing a fairy get to use the wish the turn it was drawn?

Yes, that is correct.

5. When you defeat an enemy that was encountered through the effects of a space,
as opposed to drawing card, do you get to take that enemy as a trophy
(for instance, when you get tipsy and fight the farmer at the tavern)?

Enemies generated from a boardspace (they are not cards) can never be taken as trophies.

6. I am pretty certain that items like the shield, helmet and armour can stack - in other words,
you can have all three items, and get to roll three separate times, correct?

Page 12 of the rules states: "Some Objects that prevent the loss of life when a character is defeated
have the keyword Armour next to the text for the card’s ability.
A character may only use one Armour during an attack."

So the answer is no, they do not stack. You will obviously want to use the best one you have,
should you have more than one. Usually, extra armour is either sold or dropped.

Edited by Lorinor

I agree, a comment though:

5. When you defeat an enemy that was encountered through the effects of a space,
as opposed to drawing card, do you get to take that enemy as a trophy
(for instance, when you get tipsy and fight the farmer at the tavern)?

Enemies generated from a boardspace (they are not cards) can never be taken as trophies.

Rules p.10:

An “Enemy” is any Adventure Card with the

word “Enemy” in the card type box.
A “creature” is any encounter (other than
a character) that attacks with Strength or
Craft. This may include Enemy cards and
also Events, Strangers, Places, Spells, and
board spaces.

Also..

6. I am pretty certain that items like the shield, helmet and armour can stack - in other words,
you can have all three items, and get to roll three separate times, correct?

Page 12 of the rules states: "Some Objects that prevent the loss of life when a character is defeated
have the keyword Armour next to the text for the card’s ability.
A character may only use one Armour during an attack."

So the answer is no, they do not stack. You will obviously want to use the best one you have,
should you have more than one. Usually, extra armour is either sold or dropped.

Yeah.. should have made leather, chain mail and steel armors instead and it would have been more intuitive.