Cancellation Questions

By palmer2, in Rules Questions

Good afternoon! Apologies if answers to these are elsewhere, but I wasn't able to find them in the forum or the RRG. Two questions regarding effect cancellation.

1. Does a restriction on the number of times per turn something can be played count as part of the effect of playing it? If I play Doran's Game, and my opponent cancels its effects with The Hand's Judgment, does The Hand's Judgment also cancel out that Doran's Game's "Max 1 per challenge", allowing me to play another copy of Doran's Game as a reaction to winning the same challenge?

2. Is there any restriction against playing a cancellation effect on my own abilities? For instance, may I play Treachery to cancel Ser Jorah Mormont or The Hound's Forced Reactions?

Thank you!

1. Is directly answered in the RR, under "Limits and Maxima" (which is referenced by the entry on Cancels as well): "If the effects of a card or ability with a limit or a maximum are canceled, it is still counted against the limit/maximum."

2. Is a case where there would need to be a specific rule preventing you from doing so. Hand's Judgement and Bran specify that they have to cancel an opponent's event, but treachery simply specifies that it must be a triggered character, location or attachment ability. So long as it meets those criteria, you can cancel it. This includes Ser Jorah Mormont's forced reaction, The Wall's ability, or even a beneficial ability (if you're trying to dump the treachery so you don't have any cards in hand to protect yourself from a Seen in Flames Melisandre Trigger).
Edited by -Istaril

Treachery on your own Jorah has the added bonus of being Nedly. He got away with it!