Merchant and Rod Of Ruin

By adjogi, in Talisman Rules Questions

Merchant Character states:

If he lands on another character and declares he is "trading" with another character who has the Rod of Ruin, can that player decide he is going to use the Rod of Ruin before he has to trade the Rod of Ruin with the Merchant?

I would say no since the Merchant's ability has already been initiated. Using it is not a counter so I think we would need to resolve the merchant's ability part before anything else can be accomplished.

This question is a very general one and there are many of these unanswered timing issues in the game.

The solution proposed by JediKnightAmoeba is Ok for me.

Thank you both!

I would say no since the Merchant's ability has already been initiated. Using it is not a counter so I think we would need to resolve the merchant's ability part before anything else can be accomplished.

I partially agree with this. If the Merchant lands on someone and says, "I am going to trade my Water Bottle for your Rod of Ruin," then yes, the Merchant's ability takes precedence.

But if the Merchant lands on someone and says, "I am going to trade with you, let me see what you've got," then the person can say, "I have everything except for this Rod of Ruin that I am now using to take away two strength points from you."

Simply declaring that he is going to trade does not put an automatic halt to all other abilities. He must declare specific intent to trade for the Rod of Ruin. Otherwise, since the Rod of Ruin may be used at any time, the character with the Rod of Ruin may still use it while the Merchant is perusing his items trying to make up his mind.

If he lands on another character and declares he is "trading" with another character who has the Rod of Ruin, can that player decide he is going to use the Rod of Ruin before he has to trade the Rod of Ruin with the Merchant?

Why the hell hasn't the other character used the Rod of Ruin? It should be used as soon as one of your opponents has gained 2 Strength/Craft!

For the very reason you stated. He was waiting for someone to gain the 2 points.

Why the hell hasn't the other character used the Rod of Ruin? It should be used as soon as one of your opponents has gained 2 Strength/Craft!

To act as a deterrent. To give a message to other players saying: "whoever messes with me first will suffer" .

Yes its your classic no interruptions during a effect. It happens then its effect plays out, nothing can go between unless allowed to by the rules eg counter spell.

To act as a deterrent. To give a message to other players saying: "whoever messes with me first will suffer" .

Risky to say the least. There are lots of ways to lose objects these days.