Attack rolls + weapons ! Need assistance .

By jimmyfield, in Talisman Rules Questions

A few character and weapon combos are confusing our group . We are all quite new .

Can you help us with how many dice you get .

Character with flail .

2 weapon chars like the Warrior and dervish , how do they work with 2 flails .

Minotaur and riding horse + flail .

Dragon hunter + flail .

Cheers .

A few character and weapon combos are confusing our group . We are all quite new .

Can you help us with how many dice you get .

Let's try. :)

Character with flail .

A character with Flail rolls 2 dice and adds them together to determine the attack roll and gets additional effects if he rolls doubles (the same result on both dice).

Beware: it's not "roll 1 additional die".

2 weapon chars like the Warrior and dervish , how do they work with 2 flails .

2 Flails on the same character are pointless. They give you the same ability: "roll 2 dice" and cannot be stacked, because it's not "roll 1 additional die". It's the same as the Wizard getting no additional Spells if he has the Wand.

The Minotaur stampede ability says "add the result of your movement die" and therefore cannot be used in combination with Riding Horse or if you're not rolling the die for movement (e.g. Baba Yaga's Hut from Woodland).

He can get the bonus from the single die movement roll and use the Flail in battle.

Dragon hunter + flail .

I believe the doubt is related to the deathblow ability and Flail. If you decide to make a deathblow, the Flail becomes completely irrelevant because all the abilities of deathblow prevail:

Roll two dice and add them together to determine your attack roll. (same as Flail, cannot stack as explained above)

If you make a deathblow and roll doubles, you are automatically defeated regardless of your attack score. (the secondary effect on the Flail on doubles could be working, but it's useless since you're automatically defeated and don't care if the opponent can add his attack roll or not to the score).

Brilliant ! Thanks for the help this will make tonight game much smoother as we are playing with all 4 corners for the first time .

The Minotaur stampede ability says "add the result of your movement die" and therefore cannot be used in combination with Riding Horse or if you're not rolling the die for movement (e.g. Baba Yaga's Hut from Woodland).

He can get the bonus from the single die movement roll and use the Flail in battle.

It can be interpreted either way.

One could argue that even though you roll two dice, you roll your movement die. It just isn't specified which one is it, so you can decide than:

- both are, and you add both (each of those dice is a movement die)

- one of them is, and you add one of them (either decide which one before rolling or choose after rolling). This is probably least likely to be true but also happens to be most balanced option.

- two movement dice isn't a movement die and you can't add anything

I doubt you will find online which result is most "correct". I couldn't.

Edited by Bludgeon

It can be interpreted either way.

One could argue that even though you roll two dice, you roll your movement die. It just isn't specified which one is it, so you can decide than:

- both are, and you add both (each of those dice is a movement die)

- one of them is, and you add one of them (either decide which one before rolling or choose after rolling). This is probably least likely to be true but also happens to be most balanced option.

- two movement dice isn't a movement die and you can't add anything

I doubt you will find online which result is most "correct". I couldn't.

"two movement dice isn't a movement die and you can't add anything" should be self-explanatory.

If this is not the case, our outdated FAQ 1.1 tells us the following:

Clockwork Owl

Q: Can a character use the Clockwork Owl during movement if he uses a Riding Horse or casts the Speed Spell?

A: No.

This is what the Clockwork Owl says:

During movement, you may move any number of spaces up to your die roll, instead of moving the full distance as indicated by the die roll.

The answer makes me think that dice and die are different words, just as spelling can tell. If you roll 2 "dice" and add them together to determine your movement roll, you cannot use effects based upon your movement roll when the card says "die".

I know it's awkward to find answers in completely unrelated topics, but this is all we have for now. An updated FAQ should definitely reunite those scattered answers into more general rules and use the Q&A form only for single cases. Let's hope that after 4 years of expansions we'll finally get a comprehensive FAQ.

Edited by The_Warlock

Warlock I like that reasoning. To me FAQ rather obviously states what you were saying - that moving with riding horse makes you not roll a movement die. Thanks for finding that.

Totally agree Warlock!

Yeah the word die saves FFG on that one, otherwise the Minotaur with a riding horse would be a beast

Agreed three.