Space Marine vs. Jedi, X-Wing vs. Storm Talon, who wins?

By Joeker, in Dark Heresy General Discussion

Troopers clearly have the force multiplier advantage, But remember there are only 1000 empire soldiers on the planet. There was at least 10,000 Ewoks in the battle. While clearly being out classed in ranged combat, in melee combat the Ewoks have the advantage of camouflage and being nearly as good in hand to hand as a trooper, So luring the empire into the forest where the terrain supported the Ewoks advantages was a great idea. If the empire hadn't been arrogant and charged into the forest and just formed a defensive perimeter where they could maximize the advantage of their superior firepower the shields would have never come down.

SM have flamers: Jedi don't do so well against fire. (as Gridash said) Jedi vs Librarian, now that would be something.

On top of my head I'd stat a jedi as WS:5 BS:4 S:3 T:3 W:1 I:4 A:2 S6+ invulnerable.

Lighstabers should count as power weapons (and powerweapons can block lightsabers)

Hey guys! what if...

A Sith would turn to chaos?*

your_emperor_is_false_by_captvovan.jpg

* i'm asuming anyone who follows the chaos gods has already turned to the dark side.

SM have flamers: Jedi don't do so well against fire. (as Gridash said) Jedi vs Librarian, now that would be something.

On top of my head I'd stat a jedi as WS:5 BS:4 S:3 T:3 W:1 I:4 A:2 S6+ invulnerable.

Lighstabers should count as power weapons (and powerweapons can block lightsabers)

Again, depends on the Jedi. Jango found a flamethrower didn't work so well against Mace Windu, and Obi-Wan Kenobi just used a force barrier to negate Durge's flamethrower (or it may have been Tuteminis).

Though I'd agree that Power Weapons and Force weapons can probably interact with lightsabers.

As far as Jedi toughness? Jedi are tougher than T3. They're at LEAST T4, I think you could even make an argument for T5. Obi-Wan was getting blasted and hurled around by Jango's jetpack and the Slave I's main guns without being any worse for wear. Luke took what must have been a several kilometer fall on Bespin without any protection from the fall besides the Force and was totally fine. During the fight in the Naboo reactor chamber, both Darth Maul and Obi-Wan Kenobi took several story falls onto a metal floor and weren't even winded by it (despite Kenobi landing on his neck). Even Yoda took a fall during his fight with Darth Sidious that almost certainly would have broken every bone in a normal human's body, and he didn't actually seem that worse for wear despite it.

And those are just the movies. Look into Legends material, and you have feats like Anakin (Pre-Episode II Anakin I might add) taking a grenade to the face and only being dazed for a few moments, Darth Vader surviving having a fortress collapse on top of him, Darth Bane basically crashing a ship at high speeds into a planet cockpit first, and being ready to fight again, seconds afterwards, and honestly, if you look at Sidious getting hit by Yoda's force push and then look at some of the things Yoda's accomplished with his telekinesis in Legends material (among which includes feats like throwing entire armies at a time, throwing back whole tank divisions and smashing starships together like toys), that constitutes a hell of a toughness feat on Sidious's part that not only was he not turned into a bloody smear on the wall, but that the only thing he really suffered for it was getting knocked on his ass.

I'd also argue Legends Jedi are significantly faster than I4 as well, with similarly astounding speed feats (Anakin outrunning missiles, pre-Knighthood as an example off the top of my head, but he's also dodged a lightning strike, in an even more absurd reaction speed feat).

As far as Jedi toughness? Jedi are tougher than T3. They're at LEAST T4, I think you could even make an argument for T5.

I'd say Jedi have T3, but they have S5+ I or even S4+ I.

Also I believe Jedi are, for sure, Independed Characters, with Armory and upgrades options.

As far as Jedi toughness? Jedi are tougher than T3. They're at LEAST T4, I think you could even make an argument for T5.

I'd say Jedi have T3, but they have S5+ I or even S4+ I.

Also I believe Jedi are, for sure, Independed Characters, with Armory and upgrades options.

ofcourse.

Also T3 would be for human jedi, I guess the stats would vary for different races.

Thing is, should anti-psyker stuff work against jedi? do they count as psykers? yeah now we're getting to the difficult stuf ;)

I believe yes. If we are speaking about crossover, there should be "Force equal Psy".

So anti-psyker stuff works against Jedi, anti-Force stuff works against psykers.

See the reason I argue Jedi would be well above T3 is because we see the human Jedi, even in the movies, taking shots that would outright kill a normal human. If a "normal human" took the fall Luke did on Bespin, the janitorial staff would be the ones cleaning up what was left of him. Luke was barely bruised by the fall. And the other examples I mentioned earlier. Even in the films, Jedi-- even human Jedi, are shown to be substantially tougher than normal humans and capable of taking a hell of a lot more punishment.

Legends just happens to take it up to a hundred, with things like Anakin taking a thermal detonator to the face, or Sidious effectively being blasted by a Force Push that has been shown to level tank divisions.

Edited by ColArana

See the reason I argue Jedi would be well above T3 is because we see the human Jedi, even in the movies, taking shots that would outright kill a normal human. If a "normal human" took the fall Luke did on Bespin, the janitorial staff would be the ones cleaning up what was left of him. Luke was barely bruised by the fall. And the other examples I mentioned earlier. Even in the films, Jedi-- even human Jedi, are shown to be substantially tougher than normal humans and capable of taking a hell of a lot more punishment.

Well, not exactly. Toughness as I get it - they take damage but just not enough. Jedi aren't like that - they just don't take damage, they dodge it, put something not-so-needed and so on; I believe it's Saving. Force helps them.

Well, not exactly. Toughness as I get it - they take damage but just not enough. Jedi aren't like that - they just don't take damage, they dodge it, put something not-so-needed and so on; I believe it's Saving. Force helps them.

Technically yes. Jedi use the Force to augment their bodies, but they're not "dodging" the damage in these examples persay, so much as they're using the Force to absorb the impact, or to sustain themselves after taking serious injuries. Closest parallel I can think of would be something like Ki in Dragon Ball Z. Just because the character's aren't naturally that tough when deprived of the resource they use to fuel their superhuman abilities doesn't mean a DBZ character can be assumed to be T3 :P

Jedi and Sith using Force augmentation have been shown shrugging off hits or impacts that would kill a normal human many times off, and fighting through wounds that would likewise kill them.

I know it's a bit silly we're arguing over such an abstract concept as WHTT Toughness but I do think Jedi should be considered comparable to Space Marines in terms of toughness, when employing the Force, if not, in the cases of absolute top-tier Jedi, even tougher (because let's be honest, if a Space Marine tried to stand in the path of a full-strength Force push from someone of Yoda's caliber, it would probably rip him clear in half).

Edited by ColArana

Oh boy... Okay, in my experience, there are three ways to handle crossovers that work reasonably well:

- My House, My Rules: Whichever side is "just visiting" is suddenly and inexplicably stripped of any special powers that aren't compatible with the home universe. Psykics and Warp-dependent tech simply does not work in the Star Wars universe and the Force is inert in the Imperium. For both sides this can be a huge handicap. Jedi suddenly have to rely more on their light sabers (assuming those things still work) and their mundane skills to survive while for the Imperium, no warp means their starships are stripped of FTL drives, communications, and navigation systems... yeah good luck launching a glorious Crusade against the xeno-loving Rebel Alliance when your ships are forced to plod along at sublight and can't talk to one another over long distances.

- Take a Bit of Home With You: Visiting parties can bring a bit of their universe with them. The Force can be used in the Imperium and the Warp can be accessed in the Star Wars universe.

- Exchange: Whoever is visiting inexplicably exchange powers. Psykers become Force Users and suddenly your Warp Engine becomes a hyperdrive engine and your Tech Priest cannot figure out why even after disassembling the thing twice, nor can he figure out how he suddenly knows how a hyperdrive is supposed to work. Probably the best out of the three even though it makes the least amount of sense. Besides, the crunchy bits are actually the least interesting part of such an idea.

Who can beat who is a ridiculously easy question anyway. In 1v1, whoever gets the drop on the other guy. In long term, whoever is "just visiting" the other guy's home universe is looking at a nasty challenge just to stay alive long term. Food is potentially an issue, ammunition and spare parts to keep vital gear working is DEFINITELY an issue. And on the grand strategic level? The Imperium would be just another Empire if it went to war with the Alliance, nothing changes as far as their hit and run tactics goes. A war between the Empire and Imperium would be just a meatgrinder. Much more interesting would be the RP side of things...

A human of the Imperium, mundane or Space Marine, will likely to be extremely confused at first if they suddenly wind up in the Star Wars universe. Everything "good" in the Star Wars universe goes against a set of survival instincts honed by eons of having demons, Orks, Tyranids, and Dark Eldar for neighbors. Not only that, but it will eventually dawn on them that the xeno-loving heretics are actually the guys they WANT to side with as the Empire... I just don't see the two interacting well. The Empire would either try to steal the visitors' strange technology including their geneseeds if there are any Space Marines present (yes I know that would not end well, wouldn't stop them from trying) or otherwise start a conflict of ideology. Meaning there are only two real outcomes or at least two interesting ones from a story standpoint, either the displaced member of the Imperium ends up fighting everyone to try and find a way home or they end up joining the Alliance (to either find a way back home or resign themselves to the fact that this is home now.) Why would the Alliance waste time with a bunch of twats that clearly clash with everything they stand for? Well that depends on what kind of PCs get displaced.

Deathwatch Kill-Team/Guardsman Unit: Lumped together because they both provide the same thing, big guns and battle experience. A Kill-Team in particular would be a nasty sight to see with the Rebels, four to six veteran heavy infantry with each squad mate experienced in a different battle doctrine, some of which neither the Empire or the Alliance are trained in. Guardsmen are pretty much the same to a lesser extent but would have less logistical problems to worry about (how do you keep what is essentially a eight-foot tall Mandorian with an automatic grenade launcher fully supplied with ammo and rations?)

Rogue Trader: Arguably the nastiest thing from the Imperium that could wind up in the Star Wars verse, even more so then a squad of Deathwatch Marines, especially if one ends up there with their retinue and a fully crewed ship. Yes, yes, the Empire has built bigger warships then the Imperium but the Imperium builds EVERYTHING big. A Rogue Trader that starts off with a measly transport ship (in keeping with the spirit of Star Wars where the most iconic ship is literally a delivery van) still has a ship so big that it can use the Millennium Falcon as a cargo shuttle and is armed well enough that it can go toe to toe with anyone short of the Empire and be pretty confident in the odds. And if you play a Rogue Trader who is more Pirate or Trader then Battlefleet Admiral, several planets regardless of era of play practically scream FREE MONEY to a man/woman of ambition such as a crew of Explorers.

For the Rebel Alliance, a voidship of the Imperium is an interesting asset for them to play with. Like Star Trek, Warhammer 40k subscribes to the "Tall Ships in Space" design philosophy, ships are built as large multi-role vessels that can do a variety of different jobs with a reasonable degree of competence. Star Wars builds their ships with a much greater level of specialization, warships don't carry cargo and freighters make lousy fighting ships without serious aftermarket modifications. An Imperium transport can make supply runs that stock up several bases in one go and do it while laughing off most of what the galaxy can throw at it.

Technically yes. Jedi use the Force to augment their bodies, but they're not "dodging" the damage in these examples persay, so much as they're using the Force to absorb the impact, or to sustain themselves after taking serious injuries. Closest parallel I can think of would be something like Ki in Dragon Ball Z. Just because the character's aren't naturally that tough when deprived of the resource they use to fuel their superhuman abilities doesn't mean a DBZ character can be assumed to be T3 :P

Give them forcefield working with their willpower characteristic.

- My House, My Rules: Whichever side is "just visiting" is suddenly and inexplicably stripped of any special powers that aren't compatible with the home universe. Psykics and Warp-dependent tech simply does not work in the Star Wars universe and the Force is inert in the Imperium. For both sides this can be a huge handicap. Jedi suddenly have to rely more on their light sabers (assuming those things still work) and their mundane skills to survive while for the Imperium, no warp means their starships are stripped of FTL drives, communications, and navigation systems... yeah good luck launching a glorious Crusade against the xeno-loving Rebel Alliance when your ships are forced to plod along at sublight and can't talk to one another over long distances.

- Take a Bit of Home With You: Visiting parties can bring a bit of their universe with them. The Force can be used in the Imperium and the Warp can be accessed in the Star Wars universe.

- Exchange: Whoever is visiting inexplicably exchange powers. Psykers become Force Users and suddenly your Warp Engine becomes a hyperdrive engine and your Tech Priest cannot figure out why even after disassembling the thing twice, nor can he figure out how he suddenly knows how a hyperdrive is supposed to work. Probably the best out of the three even though it makes the least amount of sense. Besides, the crunchy bits are actually the least interesting part of such an idea.

That or you just let the equivalent work like their equivalence.

Psykers are mastering the force.

Psyk-out grenade are technologies busting the force.

Demons are force-beings that are malign.

On the other hand, the force is warp spawned, jedi powers are psychic powers, they are just up to such a disciplined level that they are pretty much very safe to use.

The only thing that contradict the other is the force/warp. Decides which one, in your crossover, is the real one and then your imperium discovers that the Warp is their perception of the force/Jedi discovers that they use currents of the Warp, they named the force, that are stable and safe, because of special techniques, training and philosophy.

Warp Drives are warp drives. Hyper drives are hyper drives. Warp drive in star wars would be some very special technology that use the force to travel, while hyper drive would be an advanced technology that doesn't use the force/warp.

Then you compare what is comparable:

-Storm Troopers/rebel soldiers are normal soldiers, roughly the equivalent of imperial guardsmen.

-Jedi Knight would be like templar calix.

Etc. etc.