Dunwich Horror vs Curse of The Dark Pharaoh + The King in Yellow

By canton, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Hello. My friends and I've been playing the base game for a while and decided to start buying into the expansions. Right now there's two choices: Either getting Dunwich Horror OR Getting both Curse of the Dark Pharaoh AND the King in Yellow.

Which one would you choose? We only have the base game.

Thanks in advance

PS: Also to take in account, we are usually 5-6 players.

Edited by canton

Well, while I'm sure there are plenty of fellow players and forum users that will berate you for asking a question about which expansion to get and point you toward other threads that discuss this same topic, I will simply give you my answer to your query.

Get Dunwich Horror. While I think the King in Yellow is the best small box expansion and the revised Curse of the Dark Pharaoh is great, the additional board, investigators, and ancient ones will feel like you're adding a lot more to the game than even 2 small box expansions. Not to mention you need to add the Injury/Madness cards as soon as possible because you will then wonder how you ever lived without them. Most will say that Dunwich Horror is the best big box expansion (which I agree with) and I am of the opinion that there is more bang for your buck with a big box expansion. However, there is a chance you are not looking for the more drastic change of adding another board, in which case two small box expansions could be better. But my recommendation is still with getting Dunwich Horror.

Yeah, Donut nailed it. Also, if you use the search function of this very board, you'll be prompted a couple hundreds debates on the same topic, and every time the consensus is for getting Dunwich if you have financial availability :)

Thanks a lot for the responses. Finally, we are getting both Dunwich Horror and Dark Pharaoh's Curse.

We are really hyped :)

Enjoy the new expansions :) And if you have any questions, just ask :)

I usually don't berate/redirect when the user posts a constraint on the question. I don't think I've ever before seen "should I get the most popular expansion that adds complexity or two good expansions that add more variety than complexity ."

I'm too late to offer my advice but I would have recommended the two small expansions. They would allow you to gradually add and explore components without increasing difficulty too much. But your next purchase should indeed be Dunwich rather than another big expansion or the other two smalls.

Edited by Tibs

I purchased the Lurker at the Threshold a while back and like Tibs stated and IMO the small expansions add to the game. My son enjoyed making pacts with the Lurker! Just wanting to see what would happen.