Bounty hunter + rune sword + full plate

By jimmyfield, in Talisman Rules Questions

Just a quick clarification.

Me and my Friends all agree on the bh + fp combo but !

We got into a debate over what happens with a runesword thrown in .

He claims that by using the bounty hunters ability you would gain the life as well . I read it as although you won the fight you don't actually kill the creatures . This sounds stupid and we just played it his way because he wouldn't play on other otherwise but would just like to hear some other views on it for future reference . If you win a fight like that it counts as the enemies dying for the purpose of rules etc ? cheers

I agree with your friend. And if you're lucky enough to put those two objects together when you're playing the bounty hunter I think you've earned it. On the other hand you've probably got your hands full with fending of the other players as well... ;)

We play using the beast (18/18 strength/craft) on the crown of command , and the winner is first to reach and kill him so we end up with some pretty crazy characters by the end . Runeswords wording is if you kill , not if you win the fight. Hence where the confusion came from. But I can see both sides of it and just after the views of some more experienced players .

The Runesword says: "When you use the Runesword in battle to defeat an Enemy", so there's no "killing" strictly involved.

Even though your attack score was not higher than the opposing creature's attack score (= the creature is not "killed" following the flimsy rules about this), you still defeated the Enemy thanks to the Bounty Hunter's ability. No problem using the Runesword, then.

Still, you opened up an interesting series of loopholes with this question. The Bounty Hunter winning stand-offs is defeating the opponent, but not killing creatures according to the rules.

This means that the Bounty Hunter cannot complete quests like "Kill One Enemy" if he wins the attack thanks to his ability and not by higher attack score.

Well, probably the wording "killed" has just become obsolete over time, along with large portions of the basic rules. Should Enemies remain on their space if the Bounty Hunter wins a stand-off? He didn't technically kill them, and the cards say "will remain here until killed " and rules say "When a character kills an Enemy, he may take it as a trophy.". No, this cannot be. I think winning stand-offs technically means he gets to both defeat and kill the opponent when winning this way.

Yeah exactly, we randomise out of the 32 available to us but when he comes up he causes all sorts of problems ha ha . I said that the runesword was technically only used to get the stand off then the bounty hunter himself uses an ability overriding the swords .

Still, you opened up an interesting series of loopholes with this question. The Bounty Hunter winning stand-offs is defeating the opponent, but not killing creatures according to the rules.

This means that the Bounty Hunter cannot complete quests like "Kill One Enemy" if he wins the attack thanks to his ability and not by higher attack score.

Well, probably the wording "killed" has just become obsolete over time, along with large portions of the basic rules. Should Enemies remain on their space if the Bounty Hunter wins a stand-off? He didn't technically kill them, and the cards say "will remain here until killed " and rules say "When a character kills an Enemy, he may take it as a trophy.". No, this cannot be. I think winning stand-offs technically means he gets to both defeat and kill the opponent when winning this way.

I disagree with this assessment, and I agree with the wording of the Bounty Hunter's special ability.

Not every battle or psychic combat results in death. The Black Unicorn, the Feral Pet, and the Firemane, for example, have the option of not being kept as trophies but as followers. In these cases the enemy is not "killed," but is left alive.

So to say that the Bounty Hunter wins the battle or psychic combat is correct, as that would encompass every possible outcome based off of a victory.

So if the Bounty Hunter ties the Battle Hulk in combat, he kills the Battle Hulk because that is the only option for "winning" against the Battle Hulk. But if he ties the Black Unicorn in psychic combat, then he wins against the Black Unicorn, at which point he must decide whether he kills the Black Unicorn and keeps it as a trophy or keeps the Black Unicorn alive and keeps it as a follower.