THE SKILL OF THE COMMISSAR IS... ???

By IvanB, in Relic

Can someone tell me if the STRANGERS he "ACQUIRES" during its turns ARE COUNTED INTO THE ASSET LIMITS OR NOT ?

Since they aren't PROPERLY "ALLIED ASSETS" I still COUNT them OUTSIDE THE ASSET LIMITS (Allowing him TO HAVE AN INFINITE NUMER OF "STRANGERS", as an "absurd thing", BUT he STILL RETAINS its current limit of ASSETS - like normal weapons and armors and / or "Allies" Cards)...

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY IT IS NOT CLARIFIED ONTO THE SHEET OF THE CHARACTER AND IF I DO INTERPRET IT CORRECTLY OR NOT ?!?

HOW MANY "STRANGERS" CAN IT TAKE ?!?

- INFINITE ?!?

- UNTIL HE REACHES THE MAX NUMBER OF "ASSET ALLOWED FOR THE COMMISSAR AT THIS TIME" ???

THANKS

Edited by IvanB

It doesn't specifically say. But going off what is in the rule book and what is on the Commissars character card I would say:

From my interpretation I would say that yes, the Commissar can hold onto any number of 'Encounter - Stranger' cards as he wants as, they do not count towards his asset limit.

This won't be a problem though as there are not that many 'Encounter - Stranger' cards overall, and other players might use them first, or you may wish to resolve their card text instead.

I hope this helped.

P.S. No one likes all caps.

Edited by VX485

Covered in an official answer from FFG two and a half years ago:

"2) Strangers that the Commissar takes into his play area don't really count as any type of card. They aren't trophies, assets, threat cards, etc. They are simply "strangers" for use with his third ability. As such, there is no limit and they are never discarded in any other manner other than using his third ability.

I suppose if he becomes corrupted and has to start a new character they would technically follow with to the new character. But I see no reason why you couldn't just discard them at that time, as the new character will not be needing them for anything else."

Thank you for the answers... I usually play the Commissar correctly then since I always used the rule of "Strangers Acquired" as you described it: he can hold INFINITE (in theory) Strangers Cards in his play area...

PS: I wrote in CAPS to keep the attention to this topic... Now that I have been answered I can erase it if you want to...

I wrote in CAPS to keep the attention to this topic... Now that I have been answered I can erase it if you want to...

All caps do attract attention for a moment. The same way a buzzing gnat does.

They also provoke similar reactions, and I'm not sure if that's what one would like to achieve with a topic.

I don't see why the Commissar having infinite strangers is a big deal. The Tech Priest can have infinite weapon and armor cards.

I don't see why the Commissar having infinite strangers is a big deal. The Tech Priest can have infinite weapon and armor cards.

Have you looked at the Wargear, most of it is horrible. Plus, Tech-Priest is the only character that can't get an attribute all the way to 12 just by levelling up. Whereas Commissar's strangers are guaranteed exploding dice. But then, Techie is the weakest character in the game IMO and IME.