Gelt-Based Resource System

By MijRai, in Dark Heresy House Rules

I've been running Dark Heresy 2nd Ed for about eight months now, and one of the biggest things my players didn't like was the Requisition table; it worked for them when shanghai-ing resources for a job, but not for day-to-day occurrences and the like (also, some of my players love their salvage/resale). It also made things a little too abstract, which we all agreed on. That made me mutter a bit, scratch my head, then finally figure out what I wanted to do about it; I made a price-list that corresponds to the Availability table, which gives a basis for modification due to scarcity, reputation, currency exchange, etc. After looking at the 1st Ed sources, I did raise prices on a number of things, mostly because such rare items should be worth a lot more than what I thought was suggested. For those who are interested, here it is:

Standard Prices (x10 for Vehicles, Commerce roll applies 10% Increase/Decrease in price depending on DoF or DoS)

Ubiquitous- ~ (Penny Candy)
Abundant- 1

Plentiful- 10

Common- 50

Average- 100

Scarce- 500

Rare- 1,000

Very Rare- 10,000

Extremely Rare- 100,000

Near Unique- 1,000,000

Unique- Buy? HA!

Ammunition Prices (Per Two Magazines, Based on Stock Weapon Ammunition)
Ubiquitous- ~

Abundant- 1

Plentiful- 1

Common- 5

Average- 10

Scarce- 50

Rare- 500

Very Rare- 1,000

Extremely Rare- 5,000

Near Unique- 10,000

Unique- It Needs Ammo?

Resale (Start with Base Price)
Scarce ^- -50%

Rare v- -25%

Damaged- -50%

Unavailable Locally- +50%

Bulk- -10% Per 10 Items

Its a good way to go about it, but i personally havnt had to think about it so much. In my game, anything average or better is freely provided by the Inquisition, though it may be tricky to get ahold of those supplies once the players are deployed... haha. Things that are scarce can be acquired from the inquisition pretty easily, or bought cheaply with emergency spending money that I give to the players at the start of a mission. And when it comes to spending money, i often just make up prices on the fly. Although I might take a look at your chart now haha. But honestly, my players havnt had to buy anything beyond basic supplies like food. Like I said, any weapon or armor that they could possibly buy on an imperial world is provided freely by the inquisition, and the stuff they really want isn't for sale. MAYBE you might run into a heaver stubber or a bolter for sale, but a plasma rifle? HA! A melta gun? HA! A Power Sword? HA! You get the idea. These things are acquired either through encounters, or the use of influence.

What might help is this: I make influence less abstract by treating it more like currency. I explain to the players that it is a combination of their rep, connections, favors owed to them... etc. Any time they requisition something beyond a certain rarity, I reduce their influence by a small amount to represent them burning a favor or something like that. And it doesnt just... appear in their hands haha. If they succeed, then I find a way to make the item available to them within a short period of time. Maybe they use a contact to learn that some idiot trader is selling an Inferno Pistol for practically nothing, because he has no idea what it is. Or the Acolyte will get a tip about a local thug who somehow managed to acquire a force staff, and is carrying it around to raise his rep by making people think he's a psyker. My players use influence to locate things they could never buy, but they then often still have to do a bit of work to acquire it. I do this to maintain the theme that these items are truly scarce.... relics of a bygone era that aren't manufactured anymore.... at least not legally.

Also referring to your chart... does DH2 even have any unique items yet? I guess items from 1st transfer pretty easily though.

Edited by Douglasrad

My group doesn't have their Inquisitor throwing things their way that often. He's big on the whole 'God-Emperor Helps Those Who Help Themselves' schtick, providing a small stipend for people and expecting them to make do. At the end of them doing a good job, he tends to provide a tool or weapon of some kind to each of them, partially as a reward, partially as a way to keep his investments alive as he throws them at more dangerous situations. Otherwise, they're supplying and maintaining their own ammunition, armor, kit, etc. It is a good thing they've got a Tech-Priest and a Frontier World-born tinker in the party, even if they bicker over methodology.

On top of that, the group is also currently undercover; just going 'We're the Inquisition, shower us in gifts' isn't much of an option at the moment. They've been doing a lot of wheeling and dealing with their covers to build up Influence and get their allies to toss stuff their way. As far as finding rare items... One guy did in fact purchase a meltagun, but the only reason he could was because the group had traveled to a Forge World where one was available. Ammo is the primary concern, as the weapons are useless when they run out of rounds (and I make them track shots fired). They have some questionable ties to arms dealers who avoid heretical wares, which they use to acquire ammunition and listen for rumors of the Faceless Trade.

The group's primary armaments at the moment include (keep in mind they are all over 10k experience and have completed plenty of investigations):

A Best Long Las/Good Needle Pistol for the sniper (freaking Accurate tag killing all my bosses, he invested quite wisely and used sheer amounts of gelt to get a hold of what he wanted with some smuggler connections),

Two Power Swords for the duelist (she's put a lot of time and effort into those blades, she got the first one as a gift for fighting a small Warp Incursion on a voidship, the other from a pirate captain),

A Webber and a Meltagun for the bounty-hunter (he calls them the 'Fun Way' and 'Funner Way,' respectively, the Webber he got for work, the meltagun he purchased),

A Baleful Eye, Bolter and Omnissian Axe for the Tech-Priest (plus the servo-skull he mounted a bolt pistol on and added a carapace helmet for good measure, only the bolter was taken from a Tech-Priest, the rest he earned),

A Force Staff for the Psyker (her focus is Pyromancy, the staff is mostly for when things get in face-hugging range, she inherited it from the last Psyker)

And double Plasma Pistols for the Arbites Desperado (Yes, he always keeps two Fate Points on hand to reroll Overheating, one was acquired from an insane Magos, the other from the previous pirate captain).

They all have some sort of normal-level Las, Low-Tech or Solid Projectile weapon or two for back-up and when their special weapons are overkill/too conspicuous. Shotguns and autopistols mostly.

Any Extremely Rare item at Best quality (or Near Unique at Good) counts as a Unique item. So, a Good Inferno Pistol (though, I think that should be Extremely Rare at base, not Near Unique) is the first thing to come to mind.

I see. The way I run it isn't "freebies" as much as... Basic supplies. The inquisition is a very well supplied organization, and the way I see it, its agents are well supplied as well, at least when it comes to things that are easy to come by. My understanding is that the acolytes aren't paid... Their "pay" is the opportunity to serve the empire. However, they are provided for. Between deployments they do not want for food or shelter, and most gear that they would be able to start with is abundant enough to justify the inquisition being able to provide it. Honestly it doesn't come up that often because like I said, the stuff the players REALLY want is hard to come by.

But it gives them an opportunity to do things like altering their load out between missions without it being a huge hassle. Mission sounds like it calls for subtlety? Let's leave the heavy Stubber behind and grab a silenced, compact autogun. A common gun with common mods, but it's something that you're not likely to find at the local market haha. But the all powerful inquisitor is gonna have a well stocked armory... And I see no reason why he would deny his acolytes the tools they need, if those tools are available and cheap. But like I said, you wanna add something beyond what your character can start with to your personal armory, you've gotta earn it.

Inquisitor Wolfe ain't gonna hand out bolters and cybernetic implants freely.... But why make it a hassle to obtain a common autopistol or a friggin backpack? Haha

Edited by Douglasrad

As I used to ask each time I see money-based economy for DH, what coin this system uses and for what place this prices stated?

Like the title says, the 'primary' currency is Gelt. That said, there's thousands, if not millions of different forms of currency, thus me stating different currencies could have different exchange rates, which could adjust the price. Buying items in Thaur bone chips will take a lot more bone chips, as that currency has little intrinsic value off of the Shrine World (unless dealing with people who go there). Or you could be carting around trade goods worth an approximately equal amount on many planets, thus saving on exchange math.

I also explicitly mention this is a 'base' value; it's basically one of those 'perfect markets' that can be adjusted for various reasons, including scarcity on a planet and the like. I never actually made a chart saying 'buying technology on a feral world increases the price by 1000%', because people can figure that out for themselves pretty easily.

You see, thing is that kind of system is perfectly valid when you're speaking about one given planet. Imperial planets are highly individualistic, specialized and isolated.

So you have feral worlds, you have hive worlds as Armageddon (chimeras price dropped?), forge world, garden worlds (civilized, but without industry) and so on. So if you're making changing planets often, this table is not helping - adjusting for various reason transforming into need to make new table each time, with local currency as a base, and with conversion rate and method. After all, it definitly possible that some feral (or death!) world haven't money at all.

It isn't hard at all, actually.

The table stays the same everywhere; you then apply a percentage price modifier to things on various planets. Tech has a discount on Forge Worlds, a Hive World's product is cheaper on that world, technology goes up on Frontier Worlds and is astronomical on Feral and Feudal Worlds.

So no, you don't need a new table.

As far as the currency exchange goes, currently I've just gone 'hey, you converted your money to the local standard for this much fee, go ahead and spend properly.' Not hard at all.

I've touched upon this subject before - are you aiming as a GM to run a virtual reality where "exchange rates" of the currency is actually important?

Pulp play just glosses over this detail in lieu of just doing it... (specifics not important)

'Gelt' in this system is an intangible value. Exchange rates haven't been that important as of yet, so I've left it as fluff (they've only been on 4 planets as of yet, and currency wasn't an issue on two of them). Say, when they go to a planet, they exchange whatever medium they have their 'gelt' in, into the local currency. They then have ___ Gelt in 'local currency', which lets me use the same charts (I have situational modifiers for trying to pick up things like weapons or ammo on worlds where violence isn't big, or trying to find a las-gun on a frontier world).

That said, at some point the party may encounter groups who have exchange rates that'll screw you; company scrip situations. At that point I will bring it up as relevant.