Areo Hotah: Remove from challenge

By jkilroy, in Rules Questions

Hello,

When I remove a character from the challenge using Areo Hotah with Ambush, is the character still kneeling after I removed him? I would guess "yes" because nothing says it can stand again. Or is there a rule that all characters removed from challenges stand again?

Thanks

You're right. There is no such rule, so an effect would have to specifically stand the removed character (like Highgarden, for instance). Note that it also works the other way: standing a participating character doesn't remove it from the challenge, either.

I would assume he can stand again!

Example:

1. You declare your fighters

2. Action-phase

3. the opponent declares his fighters

4. action-phase (you bring Hotah from your hand and remove a character from the challange)

5. fight "starts" and the winner is calculated

Step 1-4 are only steps to determine participating characters. and only "used" characters are kneeled, so yes I think every removed character can stand up again.

Please confirm this, I'm not sure ;)

I would assume he can stand again!

Example:

1. You declare your fighters

2. Action-phase

3. the opponent declares his fighters

4. action-phase (you bring Hotah from your hand and remove a character from the challange)

5. fight "starts" and the winner is calculated

Step 1-4 are only steps to determine participating characters. and only "used" characters are kneeled, so yes I think every removed character can stand up again.

Please confirm this, I'm not sure ;)

This is incorrect. At your step 1 and 3, when you declare your fighters you kneel them (except for people like Jaime during a military challenge). At step 4 when you remove a character, it leave the challenge in the same state it was currently in. Look at Castle Black. It is also used in your step 4. It straightens a defender. Why straighten a defender if it doesn't knelt until after the fight?

Be specific. This is all in the RRG and we should not yadda yadda yadda over relevant details.

CHALLENGE RESOLUTION
4.2 Challenge is initiated.

• Announce the challenge type
  • Announce and kneel attacking characters
  • Declare Stealth targets if applicable

ACTION WINDOW
4.2.1 Defending player declares defenders.
ACTION WINDOW

• Ambush Areo Hotah
  • Reaction: After Areo Hotah enters play during a challenge, choose a participating character, and remove it from the challenge.
  • The removed character does not stand as there is no effect which changes its state after it was knelt in either 4.2 or 4.2.1 See Highgarden and Castle Black--if an effect stands a character, it will say so.

4.2.2 Compare STR to determine challenge winner.
4.2.3 Gain challenge bonuses.
4.2.4 Apply claim result.
4.2.5 Process challenge resolution keywords.
4.2.6 Challenge ends