Have I got this right?

By Punchycal, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Hello everybody, just by way of an introduction I am a fan of the original warhammer quest game and have played most other GW games over the years most notably the recently deceased warhammer fantasy battle :(

Anyway, I picked up a copy of the quest card game yesterday and gave it a go with my son who really likes the iPad version of quest, he chose to play the iron breaker and I was the warrior priest. He's only 8 years old so it was a bit of a slog getting going (and we played with the four player hero cards and only 1 activation each per turn, my mistake hehe) but we agreed it was good fun.

So to the point I want to clarify concerning the first quest (a foul stench); when the peril track reaches the red space at the end it says:

Spawn odeus grump, if he is already in play he recovers all wounds. Regardless he activates then readies then activates and readies again. It says on page 10 of the 'learn to play' rulebook that any corresponding effects are still resolved.

Now the way I read this, from this point onwards grump will inflict 2 wounds in the enemy phase, then heal all his wounds and attack twice inflicting a further 4 wounds in each subsequent peril phase. So basically you have to defeat him outright in one game turn.

This seems a bit tough but we were playing the game with much weaker characters than we should have been.anyway and maybe having no ranged attacks made this a lot harder, so does any of you read this the same way or have I got it wrong?

As I've read things you got it right. Guess things will be tough :) I don't have the game yet myself, but are there any ways to roll Peril back?

Hello everybody, just by way of an introduction I am a fan of the original warhammer quest game and have played most other GW games over the years most notably the recently deceased warhammer fantasy battle :(

Anyway, I picked up a copy of the quest card game yesterday and gave it a go with my son who really likes the iPad version of quest, he chose to play the iron breaker and I was the warrior priest. He's only 8 years old so it was a bit of a slog getting going (and we played with the four player hero cards and only 1 activation each per turn, my mistake hehe) but we agreed it was good fun.

So to the point I want to clarify concerning the first quest (a foul stench); when the peril track reaches the red space at the end it says:

Spawn odeus grump, if he is already in play he recovers all wounds. Regardless he activates then readies then activates and readies again. It says on page 10 of the 'learn to play' rulebook that any corresponding effects are still resolved.

Now the way I read this, from this point onwards grump will inflict 2 wounds in the enemy phase, then heal all his wounds and attack twice inflicting a further 4 wounds in each subsequent peril phase. So basically you have to defeat him outright in one game turn.

This seems a bit tough but we were playing the game with much weaker characters than we should have been.anyway and maybe having no ranged attacks made this a lot harder, so does any of you read this the same way or have I got it wrong?

You got it right, but check out the victory section on the quest sheet (you win if you fully explore the final location). The idea isn't to defeat Grump, but to scout his hideout. He'll keep coming back regardless.

Hope this helps!

-Brady

Ah yes I see now, thanks for that mate. We played again last night but had to stop for my son to go to bed halfway through the 3rd location. We used the iron breaker and warrior priest again and found it a lot better using the correct warrior cards and rules :)

Now we have grump to contend with (on the red peril space) and have to do some serious exploring, without dieing, I'll see how we manage that tonight. Have either of u played the first quest through and got a win yet?

Though the game's not intended to be easy, it would be quite funny if strayknife has never won the first quest, as he is one of the designers :)

I haven't come across any ways to roll peril back yet but the rules seem to suggest that it's possible.

As I've read things you got it right. Guess things will be tough :) I don't have the game yet myself, but are there any ways to roll Peril back?

Though the game's not intended to be easy, it would be quite funny if strayknife has never won the first quest, as he is one of the designers :)

Hehe yeah, just noticed that mate, not very observant am I? :)

My friends and I played a 3-player game on Wednesday night and managed to complete the first quest first time, though by the last turn of the game only one hero was still active.

We realized later that the creature action "Engage" didn't involve moving AND attacking, so Odious wasn't as bad as we thought and we would probably have both survived the quest, albeit with few health points remaining, but that was our fault for not reading the rules properly! :D

I'm very much looking forward to Quest number 2!

Edited by Space Monkey

My son and I just managed to scrape through quest 1 by putting everything we could into exploring grumps lair, we would have both gone down in the enemy phase if we had failed so it was pretty tense. Looking at quest 2 it appears that nemeses can be defeated but the heroes will be taking lots of auto wounds pretty much every round, luckily my son picked up an item from the blacksmith that regens a wound before you activate once per turn :) well probably give it a go tonight. Let me know how you get on space monkey :)

It may be a few weeks (we don't get to play much) but I will keep you updated :)