Completely New to the Grimm World

By NickeyCole, in Grimm RPG

I saw this book and fell in love with the idea. I've always enjoyed the true, darker Fairy Tales and add in role playing, I'm happy as can be. But I can't figure out how to get started. I would LOVE to just join a group, but doubting I'll find any in Northern Colorado I'm just not that lucky.

.Are there any starter campaigns, modules, adventures or do I have to come up with a story all my own. I've never GMed in any RPG, in fact only have a year or two gaming experience as a player. I want to learn. Can anyone offer me some help on how to get started, tips on creating characters, and so on?

NickeyCole said:

Are there any starter campaigns, modules, adventures or do I have to come up with a story all my own.

I'm afraid there's none. There's no official supplement, and currently no adventures on the web either. Maybe some members of this forum will post theirs sooner or later, but right now you have to write your own stuff if you want to play Grimm . preocupado.gif

I, like you, am most comfortable having some published material to draw from that gives me a framework for my campaigns. Sadly, there doesn't really seem to be much yet. However, just read the book. There are a lot of ideas in there, especially when reading about the places and people of Grimm. My plotline began to create itself as I read along - the children trying to find "Babylon," a rumoured way to get home. I decided on 12 keys, hidden across the land that they would have to collect, which is a great focus for the players and allows me to make them have to go to lots of places looking for them. I also decided that early on they would encounter the minions of the Rotten King who will hound their every moment, chasing them as they search - which gives the story it's impetus.

Who they meet and where they will have to go I will iron out on the journey. Everything you need is there. Just remember, anything ever imagined can exist somewhere in Grimm. What stories do you love that you want to put the children through? I love ALice in Wonderland, so you can bet they will encounter a grinning cat, playing-card guards, evil head-chopping queens and maybe even the Liddell girl herself - a la American McGee's butcher knife weilding brat, I'm sure.

Maybe they'll hear the Smurf song and investigate, only to have Papa Smurf command "Attack!!" and dozens of blade-weilding blue bastards start swarming over the kids. Perhaps Flipper will help them when they reach the sea. Maybe the Far-Out Space Nutz will in to refuel.

You are up to it. Let your imagination wander

Ahhhh, I finally discovered who the children will first meet when they enter the Grimm Lands - Lucky Bear of the Care Bears, bloody, panicked and fleeing for his life from a pack of rabid rabbits who are all hopping along on only one foot. The rabbits are the ones who had lost a foot so it could be someone's lucky charm, now they want their luck back! The other Care bears have already been captured and killed by the Rotten King in an attempt to steal their powers but, because of his luck, Luck Bear managed to escape. The Rotten King sent his one-footed rabbits after him.

Hopefully the kids will rescue him and discover a friend who can explain about where they are, etc. Luck Bear can also lend them luck, increasing their Luck test rolls and helping them survive in this awful place - until he is brutally killed, of course.

You can allways use the amazing comics series "FABLES" from VERTIGO.

Fits like a glove for this kind of RPG and exactly the reason that i bought it cool.gif

FFG will prolly put something out soon. they have a good support system IMO. cool.gif

from france

i said it a long time ago but in the eigthies a game called "for faeries queen and country" was released t have a lot of good idea. if you can find this antic it may help you for stories ideas.