UFS QUESTIONER

By darklogos, in UFS General Discussion

I had this thought while I wast typing another post. What would I do if i was brand manager or community rep for UFS? What questions would I ask the community? So I here it goes.

1. What would you like to see changed about the local tournament experience?

2. What is your favorite element of UFS?

3. Does UFS price well with its competitors? If so why? If not why?

4. What about playing UFS currently do you not like?

5. What part of UFS currently do you like the most? Please pick one.

6. What do you expect from FFG at larger tournaments that we sponser?

7. Do you travel to compete in local tournaments? If so how often?

8. Do you enjoy how promos are handled?

9. Are the rules for UFS to complicated to understand for the casual player?

10. If you were to recommend a card game that was on the market would you recommend UFS? If so why? If not why?

11. Are there any licsences you want to see added to our lineup?

Scout only questions

1. Do you find the current scout interface workable?

2. What is your biggest problems teaching UFS to new players?

3. What is your biggest problem being a scout when it relates to UFS? Please pick one.

4. Does UFS have proper shelf space in the store?

5. Is prize support viewed in a positive light among your players.

6. If there was one thing that we could do to improve your scout experience what would it be? Please pick one.

edit: added "you" to question 8

Is this something that you want us to answer or is it just a general thing that you have been coming up with and are looking for questions to take out or add?

Promotional material distribution if only because certain cards that would be sorely needed are not distributed enough, while others are distributed too much.

Always and forever the basic rules and concept of the game.

I personally don't think it prices well with it's competitors in terms of packs, but starter decks have great value in them. I understand why it's priced like this, but one of the reasons we got into UFS is that it's fun and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Extremely limited card pool at the moment, a symbol imbalance rarely seen before today, the necessity of owning promotional cards that have not been distributed in mass amounts.

Innovation seems to be rewarded in B4.

At this point I've learned to expect nothing - with the current economy and their troubles in running this game, I expect nothing and thus am pleasantly surprised when there's something.

30 minutes by car to get to my local tournament. If that is not traveling for a local then I don't know what is.

8. Do enjoy how promos are handled?

No. If only because cards you need a playset of to be competitive should not be in prize support. They should be in packs.

The rules, no. Card interactions? Yes. The fact that a player needs to have a forum representative on the Q&A forum almost at all times because of the way certain cards are worded makes it extremely hard for the casual player to get into.

10. If you were to recommend a card game that was on the market would you recommend UFS? If so why? If not why?

I would recommend it. It's fun, the current block is still fun even though it's extremely limited at the moment. I wouldn't recommend it for those who like slower paced games.

I want extensions for the King of Fighters and Samurai Shodown licenses. Other licenses would be either too niche or dilute the current licenses we have right now.

Scout only questions - I answer those because I'm pretty much a scouting intern. All the work for no props.

Viable, yes. Tedious? Yes.

Previously I would have said the rulebook. Right now I've got to say that certain game mechanics in UFS aren't intuitive.

3. What is your biggest problem being a scout when it relates to UFS? Please pick one.

Being expected to be on top of everything

In our store, it's right next to other games with the exception of Magic that has a shelf all on it's own. There's no problem in shelf space.

Yes and no. They enjoy the free prize support and we have introduced an optional prize structure for those who are willing to place money in the support. This money goes directly to buying packs and/or boxes that add to the support, but only those who paid have access to the rares. Commons and uncommons are distributed to those who want them, with those who contributed having first pick. No, because of Paid to Protect's general unavailability.

6. If there was one thing that we could do to improve your scout experience what would it be? Please pick one.

Allow for the mass registration of tournaments by entering, per month, day, time and venue. It would lighten my workload very much. For example, if I have a tournament every tuesday at 7 PM, I'd only need to enter that rather than enter each one individually.

The ability to go to my local tournaments lol, damned work. Otherwise, the tournament software is absolute garbage.

The fact that you can actually hit people now without fear (for hte most part) of being one shotted.

80 dollars for a box doesn't price well period. the starters are priced well though

The fact the meta is still stale, just with different symbols at the top (Evil/Order = Fire/Earth)

The fact that it's not UFS: The Eternal Struggle anymore and games don't take 2 hours to finish.

For them to give a ****.

Nope it's down the street from my house.

By my scout? Yep. By FFG, hell no.

As Hatman said, the rules are easy but the interaction of cards is absolute garbage.

At the moment I wouldn't recommend it, just on the shear lack of any real backing from the company that makes it.

Nope. Just bring some of them back.

darklogos said:

I had this thought while I wast typing another post. What would I do if i was brand manager or community rep for UFS? What questions would I ask the community? So I here it goes.

More unique prize support

The unique gameplay

It's the same as the rest, more or less. $3.99 per pack

Small card pool leads to too much similarity between decks, even if they're trying to do something different.

Good diversity in the resources, with a fair number of viable characters. Some more viable than others, obviously, but tier 1.5 isn't very far behind tier 1 at all right now.

More unique prize support (NOT MORE CARDS, leave those to mostly locals imo)

Not really, it's a 15 minute drive

To an extent. Prize pool cycling every ~month seems reasonable, but right now the prize support is very meager... but James is working on that!

To an extent. UFS is a very different CCG, so it's complicated to pick up for the first time, and there are a lot of not-so-obvious interactions that are exceptionally hard to remove without drastic overhauls of some fundamental mechanics - aka not going to happen.

Right now UFS is a very good CCG to get into and yes, if I was making suggestions to someone for CCGs to try out, UFS would be among them. The small card pool for entering standard play right now is a huge boon for newer players, and a stark contrast with Pokemon (10 legal sets) and Naruto (14 legal sets).

Fighting game licenses? Guilty Gear plz

Non-fighting game licenses? Probably Mega Man, but having a million characters named "Something Man" would be annoying lol

Scout only questions

It's decent.

Well, personally I'm a horrible teacher LOL. But all told, explaining the control check system and progressive difficulty fully is a bit complex, as well as explaining responses - especially to people who are used to a "stack" or "chain" mechanic.

My biggest problem when I was trying to be an active scout in Ft Myers was getting people to stick to the game, even when I tried to work with the players on format issues - I tried to rekindle interest at one point by suggesting a Legacy format with a (heavily) extended ban list, which most of the players liked, but the biggest turnout was 4 people... including me

The stores I've seen? Yes.

Not really. Jin and Astrid were received very well.. by the people that were interested in playing them. lol. One of the Ft Myers players had more or less a "stranglehold" on Astrid as his build was very good and pretty much wound up being what everyone else would've done had they built her themselves, so she was only useful to him, for example.

More interactivity with FFG would be great, but unfortunately they're just plain too busy with all their work to really do that.

Responses in bold.

Baranor said:

Is this something that you want us to answer or is it just a general thing that you have been coming up with and are looking for questions to take out or add?

You can do both.

Thanks for the responses so far. Just FYI I'm not doing this to get a job at FFG or trying to suck up to anyone. I just wonder what the community thinks about these issues so I can better formulate some thoughts, plans, ideas, and paradigms.

1. Tournament Software needs to be redone. (I've heard rumors they're working on it.)
  2. Special events are largely non-existant now. I miss the lead-up to the POTM and other such things. Just make sure if you do it again, the payoff tourney is at Gencon.

Soul Calibur and Penny Arcade.

No. Same price as Magic etc. but only half the cards?

1. Lack of Legacy support.
  2. Lack of alternative win methods.
  3. Volunteer created rules. FFG needs to pay someone so that the rules get the attention they deserve. Currently it's a fairly random collection of adhoc rulings. All things considered Antigoth did a GREAT job revamping from the old rules, but a volunteer effort really is insufficient.

Aggro nature of the game at the moment.

Better support then has previously been provided.

There are no "extended-local" tournaments just the local one.

No. Too many promos are super chase, but also must includes.

9. Are the rules for UFS too complicated to understand for the casual player?

Yes and no. The basic gist of the game is easy to impart, but because the rules are a quagmire and card templating is spotty at best compilicated interactions can (and have) gone over the heads of the rules arbitrator(s) and even the game designer himself.

Yes, it's fun, and there's a fairly small pool of cards to get into right now.

Dead or Alive. Time Killers. NOT mortal combat.

Scout only questions

No. It's a pain in the ass. The tournament software is frankly crap (I could write something better (and I'd be willing to for appropriate rumineration)). The Tourney software doesn't sync w/ the OP website at all.

The demo decks aren't legal. Make some demo decks out of commons and uncommons. Make some that feature male characters (not everyone is going to play the game due to being "attracted".

The software/web interface. Low communication w/ FFG.

Yes.

Kind of. It is pretty crap. For a small group it's too much of a non-stackable character (White Crane) and not enough of the stackable chars/foundations/actions/etc. For a larger group it's not enough of everything.

Prize support.

Control checks and progressive difficulty are genius.

Packs, no. Other CCGs have like... 15 cards per pack for the same price. Other CCGs have two rares per pack, unlike UFS's one rare per pack.
Starter decks, hell yeah.

Symbol imbalance, but that will even out in the future.

5. What part of UFS currently do you like the most?

It's not stale like grey wars were in the past.

Crappy prize support.

Well I'm sure everyone travels. My store is about 10 minutes from my crib.

Absolutly not. They give out 12 copies of a card to a store and expect everyone to be happy. 12 copies will only support 3 people, unless it's a non-stackable character or something. Up the count to 40 copies and more players will be happy with the way promos are handled.

The rules are easy. Once you get in-depth with responses and card interactions, it becomes rough for them. New players will consistently need a scout nearby or access to the Q&A forum.

I would ind33d recommend UFS to anybody looking to play a CCG. The game is extremely fun right now and doesn't drag out like it use to in the past.

I think it's good where it is. Street Fighter, Soul Caliber, Tekken, Darkstalkers, and SNK are good enough as they are the most popular fighting games that FFG could aquire.

It's alright.

The more advanced rules.

Putting in so much effort only to be rewarded with two promo cards that everybody else gets.

Yup.

Yes because the prize support is free, but every other game does that nowadays.
No because they get so little for playing the game where they can get lots for playing other CCGs.

6. If there was one thing that they could do to improve your scout experience what would it be? Please pick one.

Increase prize support. It sucks when you hear "Nah, I'm gonna play this game for today. I get more prizes playing this game."