Talisman Island has sold out?

By yyami, in Talisman

What is Talisman Island anymore? Lately all we see is adverts for whatever the newest product is from either FFG or now Nomad Games. It's fine to offer support towards these guys as they are making and developing the game we like to play, but is that it? Is that all there is?

And now, Talisman Island tells us about Backgammon Blitz

I mean really? What's next? Gift codes for Snakes and Ladders?

Welcome to the advertising arm of Nomad Games

What's Your point?

The Talisman Island website belongs to Jon and he may advertise anything and anybody he wants to advertise. If Nomads wll release a "Snakes and Ladders" game, then I don't mind if Jon will advertise it too. And also, perhaps You didn't notice, but lately there isn't anything related to the Talisman to make news about, so mentioning that Nomads have not locked themselves into a Talisman cage, but are also working on different board and card games is a good thing. Perhaps not for You, but I bet there are many people who would want to know that and perhaps even support Nomads.

In short, I have no idea about what exactly You are complaining. Not to mention, I have no idea actually WHY You're complaining.

Well said Nemo. You try running a Talisman fan website and see what you can post during quiet times.....

...and that was that.

Edited by talismanisland

What is Talisman Island anymore? Lately all we see is adverts for whatever the newest product is from either FFG or now Nomad Games. It's fine to offer support towards these guys as they are making and developing the game we like to play, but is that it? Is that all there is?

And now, Talisman Island tells us about Backgammon Blitz

I mean really? What's next? Gift codes for Snakes and Ladders?

Welcome to the advertising arm of Nomad Games

It's his website. He does whatever he feels like it.

Go ahead a create a new talisman hub and play with yourself there.

Also, although I doubt it, if he's making any money with his focus on FFG or Nomad, good for him. Running a website costs money.

So, yeah. I see nothing wrong with Talisman Island. And you shouldn't either.

Edited by SilvioJesus

Just to set the record straight (not that I should have to), for the last 16 years Talisman Island has always been funded from my own pocket as it is my hobby. I'm not really one for going to the pub (any more), so running the site and collecting games is my "Friday Night with the lads".

I have never sought funding for hosting or domain registration, as that is against the GW terms of service when it comes to using their IP. Sites that do are at risk of being C&D'd by a company with more money that I have for legal representation.

I've always made the site however "I" might like a site to be. I am a lists type of guy and I wanted to have a place where people could download fan produced material, along with a bit of history and the like with galleries and other "features".

I am in the process of trying out various storage solutions for the game, in order to help people decide how to store all of the many bits and pieces that comes in the game and expansions thus far.

As I suggested in my hasty post (now gone), Backgammon Blitz came out just before the Nomads announced that the new character packs would be coming for Talisman Digital. That game is actually a particularly good rendition of the game on PC, so I figured I might as well draw attention to it. It is a board game after all.

Yes, I got a free key for the game.

No, I did not feel pressured or beholden to even mention the game.

In the past few years I have also covered Runebound, Dungeonquest, Mythgardia, Lone Wolf, Elder Sign, and other things quite unrelated to Talisman.

As it stands I have taken the site offline, not because of the OP I hasten to add, but due to the fact that this afternoon I updated a couple of pages (adding references for the new character packs from Nomad Games - shock horror) and the menus for the site got messed up. The Backgammon quote was the first thing I could think of (odd that).

This will take rather a while to put straight and I was more than a little ticked off by this development as you can understand.

Then I see this lovely thread, and think "Why bother?"

Well, because I like doing it for one, and I believe other people do too.

So don't worry, Talisman Island will be back online soon and fully functioning.

...and I will be posting whatever news I feel that has relevance, however tenuous the link might be to Talisman.

If you do not feel the same way, feel free to click "back" on your browser and look at something else.

PS - Did you know that the Nomads also published a game called Lapland Solitaire on Steam. It's not my cup of tea, but someone might like it.

Edited by talismanisland

PS - Did you know that the Nomads also published a game called Lapland Solitaire on Steam. It's not my cup of tea, but someone might like it.

I will mention that I'm a hardcore Solitaire player to the point of legitimately finishing a three cards game within 40 seconds, and while I knew that Nomads released the Lapland Solitaire, if I would not know that I would be happy to read about it on the Talisman Island. Different people are different, and sometimes unrelated news are more interesting to them than the main news they have come for.

I would just like to say how much I appreciate all the work and effort you put into sharing this game for us all. Sometimes things are slow news wise and it is not like Bob Harris will give you an interview every week. So keep up the good work, and enjoy your gMes of Talisman.

Alright, I was a bit negative and aggressive in my OP, there was no need for me to be so extreme, but what I mean is there is much more you can do, Jon, to make your site more than a list of FFG sneak peeks or Nomad promotions....

These are just off the top of my head a few minutes :-

DIY Storage Solutions Reviewed (that's your idea i know)
Interviews, why not interview normal players about their talisman history or playing sessions
What music do people play talisman to?
Custom Rule Summaries
Articles on aspects of the game rules
Articles on various house rules
Articles on ways to play the game with multiple characters or other funky configurations
Tutorial on making your own expansion
Tutorial on printing out user made expansions
Talisman Fiction! Short stories from the Talisman world.
The Making Of: Interviews with people at Nomad Games or FFG

Links for places to buy card sleeves to protect our game

You must have various old or rare talisman sets in your collection, how about some photo sets & article about them?

Tutorial on Miniature painting.

You know, there's just so much is possible, and I know its easy to make a quick list and that pretty much any of those items takes considerable effort, but, well never mind.

... btw i ordered the backgammon on steam, looks neat. :P

Edited by yyami

A bit? Hmm...

Have you ever read any of the features or resource pages?

Just about all of those things you mention are there already.

Getting interviews is not as easy as people think.

Neither is designing expansions and having them published, but that's a whole different kettle of fish.

I have been thinking about cataloging my collection, but one needs time for that, along with the many other ideas I have for the site.

I am a 'Dad at Home' and have more important things to do than think up regular content, though I do try, hence me spending a fair amount of money recently to trial different storage solutions.

I've been researching two sets of alternate minis for the Digital Game and 2nd Edition.

I don't paint, but if anyone would like to write an article then I'd be only happy to include it.

I've also spent more than enough time rejigging the Talisman expansion for Strange Eons to help other people out. I use Photoshop, so didn't need to do it at all.

What you call adverts, I would class as news. Without people knowing where and when to buy expansions and games, there would be no expansions.

As I said, the site is a labour of love. If nobody visited it I would still use it to list editions, expansions and minis etc. Most of the things you want for the site are already there.

The site will be back as soon as I can fix the menus. That will take a lot of my free time which is at a premium. I will still post news as I find it, even if it is not directly associated with the game per se.

As others have suggested, if you want to visit a site which is better than Talisman Island, you'd better start to make one.

..but the way the 'news' pans out, which is what everyone sees, is a list of FFG sneak peeks or Nomad promotions. Yes there is content elsewhere, but you need to draw attention to it. Even if its a just a new short article with a new photo linking to existing content. Think of every new visitor who doesn't know to dig deep and sees just promotion and promotion for Nomad Games.

Anyway, I was in a strange mood this morning and I picked on you when I scanned through my breakfast websites, I'm sorry for my reaction, you don't actually deserve it as you're just a dude with a webpage and real life to manage too.

Edited by yyami

I agree there is more that could be done to highlight the other sections. I'm still feeling my way with the new Wordpress format and don't understand half of what it can do. As it stands, I am still not happy with how some of the thing are presented and the menu work might help with an epiphany in that regard.

Onwards!

Wow. I am actually stunned anyone would come out and tell someone their personal website has sold out. Holy smokes. Jon New is probably the largest proponent of any board game in existence. And it just so happens he is promoting Talisman in all sorts of glory. To host the links, the fan-made stuff linked with the game and to promote and answer questions for the game on multiple forums and outlets with his own time and money is just fantastic. You don't see this sort of fan-site for most games.

I wonder if Talisman would have as big of a following if it was not for someone like Jon. Any question I have had, he answers well and pretty quickly too. I know he has personally had a lot to do with the Strange Eons plug-in for Talisman and that has been AWESOME to toy with and develop some home-brews.

He has had give-aways for the game and he has his own expansion......

If I had a complaint, it would be that I didn't win any of the give-aways! :-)

But wow. I am stunned. Keep up the great work Jon!

Talisman Island rocks!

Anybody making a site on is own just now how much it is difficutl to keep it going. And it is a site of passion. I just wish John goes on with his passion and I'm sure it's not going to end soon. Good work, all my support!

Not that Jon needs anyone rushing to his defence. Or defense ...

After playing Second Edition most of my life, TalismanIsland was responsible for me discovering the Revised 4th Edition some years back. It has a wealth of information and resources for anyone who loves this game, and if you are reading this then you are probably one of them. (My goodness, he even has the ZX Spectrum on there!) Loads of inspiration too, for anyone who is pondering a character, card or expansion design of their own and the fact that he is willing to host other people's designs online to share with the world is just marvelous. One can spend days on Talismanisland and still not see everything it has to offer. The Talisman community is a far richer place because of it.

I think I'll pass on the solitaire though.

It seems that I have managed to remake the menu system. That'll teach me for not backing up that particular bit... A hard lesson, but a good one nonetheless.

I'll recheck as I go, but I think I snagged all of the pages I need to show. If you suspect something is missing (NOTE - From Miniatures/Third Edition onwards) then please get in touch.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming (even if it does contain adverts) ;)