Shipping Now

By reaveramori, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Well we are finally here. Now, for those of us that pre-ordered and are not picking up local, its another 2 - 3 week wait before its at our doorstep. Now I just have to stop myself from watching unboxing videos and playthroughs that might spoil the experience.

Yay!

Between this, Runebound and some upcoming Armada stuff I may have to sell a kidney....

Seriously looking forward to it. From the rough explanation video I saw I kinda think it might play like an evolved version of Death Angel. Maybe that's just the side effect of playing a lot of that lately...

Between this, Runebound and some upcoming Armada stuff I may have to sell a kidney....

Seriously looking forward to it. From the rough explanation video I saw I kinda think it might play like an evolved version of Death Angel. Maybe that's just the side effect of playing a lot of that lately...

You will have to forgive, but I died laughing when I saw you say "Seriously looking forward to it." after you just said "I may have to sell a kidney". :P

Hey, I'm already recovering from a bad injury, what's a little bonus surgery to remove a major organ to sell?

Hey, I'm already recovering from a bad injury, what's a little bonus surgery to remove a major organ to sell?

That would be one of those lessons you tell your grandchildren for things not to do.

"Lesson number 108: Never sell a kidney for a board game."

That would be one of those lessons you tell your grandchildren for things not to do.

"Lesson number 108: Never sell a kidney for a board game."

"Lesson number 109: Never sell a kidney because you could need it to buy boardgames"

Lesson number 110 never sell a boardgame you may need it to buy back a kidney

Lesson 111, Kidneys come and go, but cardboard and plastic last forever.

LOL!!! Best community ever!

Excellent! With holiday breaks coming soon will love to spend time playing this and catching up on some vidja games.

You'll also need the time to recover from your surgery.

All this talk of surgery recovery yet I dont think anyone specified theyd be selling their OWN kidney ;)

You gotta do it right ya-know

Edit: Lesson 112: If you need to sell a kidney, make sure its somebody elses ;)

Edited by alexbobspoons

I am so curious about this game. Runebound comes off at 59.99 and warhammer is 39.99. I'm wondering how much play we will actually get from this game. For 39.99, used to be a good value but now a days the way games are priced you have to wonder if warhammer quest is gonna have alot of play and replay value. That being said because I am a runebound and warhammer quest fan I plan on getting them both.

Edited by la1cajun

I am so curious about this game. Runebound comes off at 59.99 and warhammer is 39.99. I'm wondering how much play we will actually get from this game. For 39.99, used to be a good value but now a days the way games are priced you have to wonder if warhammer quest is gonna have alot of play and replay value. That being said because I am a runebound and warhammer quest fan I plan on getting them both.

Well, there are many games that are cheaper than 39.99 that have a TON of replayability. There are also games that are far more expensive and don't have much replayability at all. Although I want replayability I don't think price or even content is a good gauge of it.

I am however concerned about the recent trend towards reducing content and box size and keeping the price close to what it has been. The LOTR LCG has a lot more content in comparison to Warhammer quest so this was a disappointment. Seeing Fantasy Flight take advantage of minis and using token replacements in the case of the recent star wars version of descent was a disappointment. Have you seen the number of minis that they have capitalized on? I was upset to get the Warhammer 40k game only to find I couldn't keep my cards in the box without them sliding around everywhere due to the reduced box size. As the industry becomes larger and the money rolls in it seems that the corporate mentality is finding its way into our industry as well. Cookie cutter games and concepts for sales are not just limited to the video game industry.

It is entirely possible that I am wrong on some of these points. But there are a lot of recent trends particularly with fantasy flight that has me concerned for my once beloved company of choice.

I have chosen to purchase this game for its theme and the reduced pre-order price I got it for. I believe it is worth the price I am paying for even if it does have limited replayability. Though one might have an argument to its full 39.99 retail price once its released.

Edited by reaveramori

Remember that any Star Wars product has the Disney logo on it. I have no idea of what's behind the curtain, clearly, but I don't think you can release anything belonging to Disney for free. This inevitably has a weight on the content / price ratio

Just sayin'

Disney can do what they like as the own the Universe....erm.....did I mean to say "Star Wars Universe"?....maybe I did/didnt ;)

Remember that any Star Wars product has the Disney logo on it. I have no idea of what's behind the curtain, clearly, but I don't think you can release anything belonging to Disney for free. This inevitably has a weight on the content / price ratio

Just sayin'

I can understand that. But the truth is that it is more of a closed door decision. I have no idea how much they had to give up for such a juicy licence. Did they push Disney hard at the table or did they cave for fear of loosing a lucrative licence? How hard could they push? These are answers we will probably never know.

But regardless of what happened or didn't happen I am still left without content in a box, and forced to fork out more money, when before I didn't have to spend near as much for extra content in comparison. Unfortunately, although I love the star wars licence, I couldn't vote with my wallet. That really hurt.

And then you have the other licences and in house products. Runebound with its changes (flipping cardboard?) and elimination of single player. We now have smaller boxes so we cannot store for future expansions let alone the product that came in the box. Now we are looking at small boxes, and less content as well, even with normally well priced licences.

Again this is perception, and without a completely crystal clear glass door, we will never know. I just know I am left wanting as the years turn by and I shop more and more through other development/production houses.

I am just concerned and I obviously still invest when I find its worth my money. And that's key, where is your demand for the supply. Mine was at less than 29.99 for a 40.00 dollar title and a licence I enjoy. For the content, had it been priced at 40.00, I would have waited.

Edited by reaveramori

I am however concerned about the recent trend towards reducing content and box size and keeping the price close to what it has been. The LOTR LCG has a lot more content in comparison to Warhammer quest so this was a disappointment.

I think concerns over the amount of content provided are always valid given that the incentive for a company is always to charge more for less. Your talk of LOTR LCG got me curious so I looked up the amount of content provided in each to compare (pics from the rulebook for WHQ ACG have been posted here ). It looks to me like they're actually pretty similar.

LOTR LCG:

226 cards (hero, player, encounter, quest)

97 tokens (damage, progress, resouce, first player)

2 threat trackers

WHQ ACG:

287 cards (quest sheets, hero, action, enemy, location, legendary gear, gear, condition, dungeon)

76 tokens (leader, peril, success, progress, wound)

6 dice

So looking at the two WHQ actually provides some more cards but less tokens. It also has the 6 dice vs. the 2 threat trackers. I don't have any info about which would cost more but I'm assuming the dice would since the threat trackers are just popped out of the cardboard sheets with the other tokens and the only extra thing to them are the 4 plastic nubs to attach the dials.

We should also take into account the fact that the cards for WHQ are all smaller since they are either the American Board Game size or Mini American Board Game size, w/ the exception of the 6 quests sheets. It's also true that the box is smaller which some might consider a nuisance. One nice thing about WHQ is that you only have to buy a single core set to have the full game experience instead of buying two or more LOTR LCG core sets. Granted, that's not required but I think buying at least two LOTR LCG core sets is recommended if you're going to be serious about it since there are some great cards in there that only have 1 or 2 copies per set. To my knowledge this has always been an issue w/ the LCG core sets but LOTR is the only one I've gotten into so I could be wrong.

This is also a comparison based upon physical content and not content in terms of play-time which is arguably more important. LOTR comes w/ 3 quests and WHQ comes w/ 5 quests and the longer Delve quest. LOTR has 4 spheres that can be mixed and matched for different experiences and WHQ has 4 heroes that are their own separate entities. Obviously I think it will take more actual playtime for someone to determine which has more play-time content and the answer to that will also be subject to a player's individual tastes.

Overall, after looking at both sets critically I think it's hard to say that there's been any sort of appreciable decline in content provided between the time that LOTR LCG was released and the release of WHQ ACG.

Overall, after looking at both sets critically I think it's hard to say that there's been any sort of appreciable decline in content provided between the time that LOTR LCG was released and the release of WHQ ACG.

Agreed. Also, I think it's unfair balancing to the minimal detail the price of two games; first of all, a game could be perfect with only 200 cards where another one could need 220, and asking the two games to have identical components is a little nonsensical. It's like saying that since the previous book of your fave author was 600-pag long, and the new one is 540, they have to give you back the money for the 60 pages less. Additionally, the cost of a game is not only due to the mere cost of the components: you can have to pay royalties, licenses and stuff that will weight on the final cost. And even components are not said to cost the same: creating dice for instance is a lot more expensive than printing cardboards (you ahve to create the molds, and so on).

Then, it's important to understand a key concept of economy: value and price are different things. I buy a game for 40 bucks, and I play it only once, thinking it's crap, and abandoning it on a shelf forever. The paid price is incredibly steep. I pay the same game 60 bucks, but this time I play it every day for two years straight. In the end, I'll be happier with my investment than if I had paid 20 less and to just have a cool object.

Finally, it's also important to keep in mind that companies produce games fo profit, and if the price / content ratio increases it's not only due to FFG cashing more money: distributors, retailers and all the others involved in the production process will want a bigger share of the earnings.

One very very very last thing: if games don't sell, it's likely that prices will lower. But will content remain the same? Will the games have the same fantastic art, or the same dedicated playtesting? Not saying we shouldn't complain about the prices, but I tend to trust a company that gave me the best games I've ever played in my life. Afterall, I prefer getting less games / year, but be always happy with my purchases

My only concern for replay value here comes from being constrained to four heroes. Since this seems to be a leveled up version of Death Angel to me, I know what keeps me playing that system...the variety that having multiple teams and multiple missions provides. Now that game was only $25 for the core set compared to the $40 we'll (well, I will anyway) be paying for WHQ. The core game will only have four set heroes and a single story campaign plus a Dungeon Delve mode. Of course if the game sells they'll produce a few more bits, new heroes, campaigns and extra gear and whatnot, but that's more $$$ for later. Until I get hands-on with the game I can only speculate how good the random dungeon mode is. Since the game is still set in a Warhammer setting that I actually respect instead of what GW does now, I look forward to WHQ coming out. As usual the ability to DL the rules in advance always helps me out when deciding if I want to pick up a game or not, so I have that to look forward to soon as well.

So yes, I do have some worries about replayability here, but until I can get more in depth with it I won't let my hope for an awesome game diminish.

ALSO: As I write this, the rules have been added for DL prior t release! Thanks FFG!