Questions after quick 1st game

By Rawsugar, in Runebound

edit: wanted to delete but dont see the option. turns out the answer i you roll 2d10 not 1d10^^

So yesterday we played something like 12 turns of runebound 2nd ed. for the first time before giving up due to slow progress, and I just wanted to jot down my impression and make sure we played it right.

1. The experience was that start of the game we lost at least half the fights, I think we all died without spending gold which didnt help.

2. After the first experience counter we won fights at least 2/3 of the time but even tough green monsters/a few consecutive bad rolls could knock you out

3. escape was usually a worse option than simply standing your ground. partly due to characters w low mind, but even if high mind you had about same chance of winning fight as escaping, and more reward

4 you needed luck to win a fight without getting wounded, the only way to heal was to heal with gold which you could only get from winningf fights where you usually got more wounds than gold even if you won

5 since getting knocked out had no consequences if you had no gold/items/allies the game was bassically charging monsters hoping you'd win dying most of the time, repeat

6 there was no point to healing in the city at point in the game, was easier to just charge a monster lose the gold and heal up

7 A "typical" opponent would have stats like 11-12-10, 2 melee damage and 2 lives. Playing a 1/4/3 mage i'd need an 8+ on a D10 to avoid melee damage then a 7+ to kill opponent this is about right?

8 To be fair we actually stopped just shortly after the first experience counter, and you could glean that while we had a long way to go, things would pick up after that, but the start seemed very slow and it seemed like the cycle of getting knocked out and occasionally killing monsters was not likely to end for the first hour or two, is that about right?

9 Once you've gained some experience it seemed like it'd be possible to reliably beat green challenges unscathed and start building gear, but since there were limited green markers and only about half were replenished it seemed like you might be better off charging yellows at that point, dying half the time, and only start building once you could reliably beat yellow challenges? you keep experience even f you're knocked out right?

10 If we were to play again we'd definitely start with some more progress, either 1-3 experience counters or 5-15 golds worth of gear

So did we get things right and is this how you're supposed to play the game and do people usually speed up the game or take the beatings?

Edited by Rawsugar

You know this is a forum for Runebound 3rd edition , right? From your test (not only the opening part) it seems to me you're talking abount 2nd edition. Possibly some old 2nd edition players are around and could help, but possibly you may want to post the thread on a different board

no it just said runebound so figured like w talisman there'd be people in the know. you may be right tho that elsewhere would be better

The Runebound 2nd edition forum is in the archive, if you want to search for information:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/51-runebound/

Still, it's better to ask on a more visible board.

Edited by The_Warlock

no it just said runebound so figured like w talisman there'd be people in the know. you may be right tho that elsewhere would be better

Yup, you're right, the header just says RB.

You've done wisely at posting at BGG; it seems like you already got an answer from 2nd edtion players :)