Magical Lamp (SET 3)

By Jayce_Ryu_Tismotto, in Rules Discussions

Just have a quick question in regards to Magical Lamp, though I am sure it has been answered, I could not find a copy of rulings for it. It states that when Genie would be discarded from your friend area, it is placed under the card. My questions are:

1. If it is discarded fromt he "Unique" rule, does it go under this card. It is being discarded from the friend area but I just want to make sure.

2. When you use the "You may" discard effect, do the Genies go around the "Unique" rule. The card does state to put them all in play, but the unique rule would technically discard all but one from being discarded. Do they all come into play?

3. If a Genie is already in play, would the Magical Lamp discard remove the current Genie in play? ie: Discard Magical Lamp with 1 Genie under it while 1 Genie is in my friend area.

Why I am asking is because I am planning on doing a deck using the Magical Lamp. Even though it requires Aladin, it seems like a quick good little attack rush to either take on your oppnent or for WR. Only if it gets past the unique rule because the card does not state that the Genies brought back in this way do not follow the unique rule.

Thanks everyone. Just want this cleared up to see if the deck can be constructed.

Jayce_Ryu_Tismotto said:

Just have a quick question in regards to Magical Lamp, though I am sure it has been answered, I could not find a copy of rulings for it. It states that when Genie would be discarded from your friend area, it is placed under the card. My questions are:

1. If it is discarded fromt he "Unique" rule, does it go under this card. It is being discarded from the friend area but I just want to make sure.

2. When you use the "You may" discard effect, do the Genies go around the "Unique" rule. The card does state to put them all in play, but the unique rule would technically discard all but one from being discarded. Do they all come into play?

3. If a Genie is already in play, would the Magical Lamp discard remove the current Genie in play? ie: Discard Magical Lamp with 1 Genie under it while 1 Genie is in my friend area.

Why I am asking is because I am planning on doing a deck using the Magical Lamp. Even though it requires Aladin, it seems like a quick good little attack rush to either take on your oppnent or for WR. Only if it gets past the unique rule because the card does not state that the Genies brought back in this way do not follow the unique rule.

Thanks everyone. Just want this cleared up to see if the deck can be constructed.

Okay, first off the Magic Lamp does not go around the Unique rule in any way. Meaning you can either have one Genie under the Lamp at a time, or have one Genie in your Friend Area at a time.

1. You may place a Genie that is discarded via the unique rule back under the Lamp. However, after the 2nd Genie's "come into play" effect resolves, you must choose which Genie you wish to keep. I believe that is how the issue was resolved when 3rd Set came out

2. You may not have more than one Genie under the Lamp at one time. If multiple are discarded while the Lamp is in play, you must choose which one stays

3. Again, think of the Genie under the Lamp as a normal Friend in your Friend Area. If you play another card with the same name, it is discarded.

Thanks Devil Monkey for getting back on this post. The card then needs an errata then. The way the card is read is that whenever a Genie gets discarded from the Friend Area, it is placed under the card, there is no statement that he is considered still to be in the friend area or acts towards oter Genies being played. Magical Lamp also states that ALL Genie cards get put back into play into your friend area from under this card too, which is adding to the confusion of the card text. If you have a link to a thread where this has been discussed, that would be great. Also need some more imput on this card. Where is Troth and WotD when you need them. Stupid translations. Thanks again for the insight Devil Monkey.

EDIT: Reading over the text again, it says to put them into the friend area. So I don't think they would count towards the Unique while under the lamp.

Alright, according to the "Official Kingdom Hearts Tournament FAQ" that Jaffer gave us at GenCon a couple years back:

Q: When Using Aladdin's Lamp, is it possible to bring out multiple Genie Cards?

A: Yes, but you must immediately discard down to one Genie in your play area.

So from this question/answer, I can gather that you can in fact have as many Genie's as you want under the Lamp, but you only get one when you pop the effect because of the Unique Rule kicking in. As for your first question, I'd say DM is right on the money.

Thanks WotD for that answer. Maybe have to think about a JoaT deck with the Magical Lamp then. Wondering if that might be viable.