Video Review - Battling Cthulhu with Broken Characters

By FailroadExpress, in Elder Sign

I'll let the video do most of the talking. We played a three person game with some of the (arguably) strongest and possibly broken characters in the game. "Broken," meaning too powerful or more powerful than any other aspect of the game, making one player more valuable than the others and reducing the enjoyment of the game for others.

I'll let you decide. Is Jenny Barns too powerful in this game, compared to the other characters?

Jenny has always been the strongest character in the game, especially if you solo her. Basically, she's a blob gathering items and rolling a fixed pool of 8 dice, if you play her correctly

One thing, unless I am missing a rule somewhere, although I have just rechecked the errata and the rule book and found nothing to contradict it the rule books first ruling. On page 16 second bullet point, the rules actually state

A total monster task has all of its requirements surrounded by a white border. A monster covering a total monster task completely replaces the previous task.

You do not remove the monster mid adventure, revealing the underneath task the monster replaces the task it covers. So you didn't need the additional terror dice to complete the adventure.

If you deal characters randomly, the game is not so broken, a little easy at times, sure, but not really broken. If you pick characters then yes, its quite easy to build a super team making loosing quite tricky. I beat it today only actually moving the doom track once, gaining 11 elder signs... still great fun though.