Planets what we know so far

By Animewarsdude, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Wow, someone seems really oddly attached to one thing.

I'm sure you would miss Mon Calamari if it wasn't on the map, wouldn't you?

Kuat is for the Empire what Mon Calamari is for the Rebels, so to speak.

And now tell me how oddly I am attached to that thing.

I hadn't thought about it till now, but he's right. Kuat is pretty Important to the Imperial Navy and army. Lothal also.

Strange how many prequel trilogy planets they used that really play no part in the original trilogy, especially if they had to squeeze out planets that were directly tied to the OT.

Not like I'm going to care once I get the game, but it does seem odd.

hmmm, maybe I'll just find a planet, edit it, it's name, and card and have my own Kuat. So far I have not seen any cards other than the search for Yoda that are planet specific. If no expansions come out it could be a very doable edit for the fans.

It seems to me that the planet choices are less about relevancy during the galactic civil war and more about which planets have canon depictions (so they are more stable and less likely to change as new canon stories are written). Many planets only appear canonically in the Clone Wars television show or prequel trilogy.

So, no Kuat? ......... really?

.... I am disappointed ...

... very ....

disappointed.

Isn't Kuat canon any longer or what is happening here?

hm ... maybe there will be an expansion at some point with the other half of the galaxy ... adding those planets

Kuat would be in the core so you can always just pretend Corellia is Kuat if it makes you feel better. And I don't think Kuat is canon now as it didn't show up in the films or the TV shows as of yet. And the only reason Lothal is probably not in the game is that no one knows where it is, they haven't released an updated galaxy map so all we know is it is in the Outer Rim in the Lothal sector, which is an entirely new sector. Jakku could have been added as a remote planet here too, considering the last battle of the Galactic Civil War is supposed to happen there.

And as to having the other half of the galaxy released I kinda doubt that will happen considering the map for this game is fairly accurate to the old EU map and covers pretty much everything except for the unknown region.

Kuat may still actually be canon, as it's sourced by several things that are canon here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kuat

Remember, even if something from Legends isn't canon yet, a writer can introduce it, as long as it doesn't create a contradiction and it isn't something LFL has specifically declared off-limits. It can be fun to see what familiar elements the current novels are re-establishing as canon.

Spoiler:

Kuat is mentioned all over the place in Battlefront: Twilight Company - and they've said all new books are canon. So it officially exists. And in the book it's very integral to star ship construction still.

Basically it's the same Kuat it's always been.

Someone could probably check out the map from the Dice Tower review of the game and get all the planets figured out easily from there too.

Edit: I looked back through the video and Kuat definitely isn't there. Also, it's supposed to be one of the core worlds as a previous poster said. So very limited spaces for it to be and it's definitely not. For some reason we have Cato Neimoidia though...because...well any logical reason escapes me :P

Edited by Masterchiefspiff

I think they wanted to stick with worlds that were shown or spoken of in the films themselves.

I think they wanted to stick with worlds that were shown or spoken of in the films themselves.

Spoiler:

Kuat is mentioned all over the place in Battlefront: Twilight Company - and they've said all new books are canon. So it officially exists. And in the book it's very integral to star ship construction still.

Basically it's the same Kuat it's always been.

Someone could probably check out the map from the Dice Tower review of the game and get all the planets figured out easily from there too.

Edit: I looked back through the video and Kuat definitely isn't there. Also, it's supposed to be one of the core worlds as a previous poster said. So very limited spaces for it to be and it's definitely not. For some reason we have Cato Neimoidia though...because...well any logical reason escapes me :P

Cool, great to know Kuat is still canon haven't had the chance to read Twilight Company. And we got Cato Nemodia as it is the planet where Plo Koon is shot down during order 66. Every planet in this game has screen time in the first six films (Even the order 66 planets which we see for like 15-20 seconds or so), or are spoken off like Ord Mantell.

Though as a fun fact the map for the game is accurate to the EU's map of the galaxy, something no other board game has done.

This game seems loosely based on the Lucasarts game of the same name (or supremacy if you got the UK version). Kuat wasn't in that game either so I have no issue with Kuat being left out of this.

This game seems loosely based on the Lucasarts game of the same name (or supremacy if you got the UK version). Kuat wasn't in that game either so I have no issue with Kuat being left out of this.

It's definitely a loose representation, combining elements of Rebellion with those of Empire at War (sans Ewok suicide-bombers), and elements unique to itself. The victory conditions are especially thematic, and no matter which side you are playing, you're working against a "clock." As the Empire, you must win before the Rebels' reputation inspires the galaxy's citizens to action; as the Alliance you must win before the Empire locates and destroys your hidden base. Very cool.

It's definitely a loose representation, combining elements of Rebellion with those of Empire at War (sans Ewok suicide-bombers ), and elements unique to itself. The victory conditions are especially thematic, and no matter which side you are playing, you're working against a "clock." As the Empire, you must win before the Rebels' reputation inspires the galaxy's citizens to action; as the Alliance you must win before the Empire locates and destroys your hidden base. Very cool.

I can only hope we will get them in an expansion.

My early disappointment with the game was that the worlds are so few, and that they fairly poorly represent the galactic scope.

But I get that they had to make the game playable and attractive to an audience less nerdly than me (us).

It's quite obvious that they had to include Tatooine - it appears in most of the movies, despite not seeming to have real strategic value. (Well, I guess it's where Luke and Vader came from, and without them, things would have turned out differently.)

I agree with TheRealStarkiller that they should have included Kuat, and one might make the case for others (as well as the exclusion of some), but I'm sure FFG had to do what FFG had to do.

It's quite obvious that they had to include Tatooine - it appears in most of the movies, despite not seeming to have real strategic value.

But... but... it produces one moisture triangle! :D

But seriously, in the cutscenes, Luke says "I doubt the Empire would even fight to keep this system." I guess we'll find out if that's true... :)

Edited by I. J. Thompson

Hmmm, put the rebel base on it and find out.

I suppose the issue might have been production based. To include Kuat or Lothal in the correct sector, they might have had to bump a more iconic planet, or it might have been throwing production off. For the core sector, you have Corellia and Kuat that are both major planets for producing spacecraft. Corellia is arguably more well known, and if you include both, you have to bump Alderaan or Cato Nemoidia which would through off the production balance.

Looking into Lothal, they list it as an outer rim world, in the Lothal sector, with only 1 other system in the sector so far. Basically, that sector hasn't been developed enough to use in the game.

I suppose the issue might have been production based. To include Kuat or Lothal in the correct sector, they might have had to bump a more iconic planet, or it might have been throwing production off. For the core sector, you have Corellia and Kuat that are both major planets for producing spacecraft. Corellia is arguably more well known, and if you include both, you have to bump Alderaan or Cato Nemoidia which would through off the production balance.

Looking into Lothal, they list it as an outer rim world, in the Lothal sector, with only 1 other system in the sector so far. Basically, that sector hasn't been developed enough to use in the game.

Yup and whats worse is we know that the Lothal sector is somewhere in the Outer Rim but nothing beyond that, the sector is new so until we get a new galaxy map we won't have any idea where it is. They didn't even include it on the map they released with Force Awakens.

Yea, the whole 'old EU is gone, until a newer source reintroduces it' aspect probably fouled up development and choosing which planets would be included quite a bit. I agree that there are 'better' choices out in there old EU, but it seems like they could not be included under the new Star Wars rules.

-Will

Yea, the whole 'old EU is gone, until a newer source reintroduces it' aspect probably fouled up development and choosing which planets would be included quite a bit. I agree that there are 'better' choices out in there old EU, but it seems like they could not be included under the new Star Wars rules.

-Will

Given how other SW games use stuff from the EU, or even just make new stuff up, I don't think that's a problem.

Given how other SW games use stuff from the EU, or even just make new stuff up, I don't think that's a problem.

That was under the old LFL licensing though; the new Disney contract could specify that products have to fall into the new Disney continuity (currently the movies, the two cartoon series, and a handful of other sources) rather than the 'old' EU. That would explain some of the choices.

-Will

That was under the old LFL licensing though; the new Disney contract could specify that products have to fall into the new Disney continuity (currently the movies, the two cartoon series, and a handful of other sources) rather than the 'old' EU. That would explain some of the choices.

-Will

That's plausible, but some of those characters are from some very recently released expansions. Do think it was exactly between the time when that those expansions and Rebellion were being planned that the edict of Disney appeared?

That's plausible, but some of those characters are from some very recently released expansions. Do think it was exactly between the time when that those expansions and Rebellion were being planned that the edict of Disney appeared?

Totally true, the latest X-wing, Armada and IA stuff all have 'old EU' stuff appearing. I'm not sure what the design cycle for any of the Star Wars stuff is, but I suspect the lead time for the minis-centric stuff is pretty long, so maybe these were all started long enough before the 'old/new EU' divide was set in stone that they were grandfathered in.

Anyway, I don't pretend to know all of the details. I just know that FFG's job got a lot more complicated. :)

-Will

Edited by wminsing

EU stuff is needed to keep the expandable games moving. There really isn't a lot of ships or unique people/units that actually appear in the movies. Basically, each of the expandable games had drained all of the canon movie material by the 2nd or 3rd wave. At that point you either dip into the EU, or you stop the game.

A non-expandable product like Rebellion though can stay completely within the canon as there is enough material to work for the game mechanics.