FFG takes on Star Wars Risk: Original Trilogy Edition

By Norsehound, in Star Wars: Rebellion

Seriously I'm surprised nobody else has made this observation in spite of comparisons with everything else. Nobody remembers this game ? It's almost like someone saw the Armada fighters, remembered this game, and realized they could do their own FFG treatment on it.

Seeing the Death Star as a playing piece reminds me immediately of the DS-on-pegs we're given in the Risk set. There, like here, you can also blow up planets by playing the right card. Usually DS systems were unassailable as well, though as I recall there might have been special cards you could play to trench-run it and destroy it....

In OT:Risk we're given dudes on a map... but there were special unit types on cardboard that could be deployed as force multipliers. Rebellion probably has it more straightforward with unit types, but still the idea is there.

Then there's the hidden base. Here the Rebels have it as their win condition but in OT: Risk it was the Empire that had this condition. The Imperial player set out bases on the table and the Rebel players had to find the Emperor to win. Of course, each base also had a stronger defense.

OT Risk expanded out to 5 with the addition of a third party, hutts and gangsters, as a neutral party in balanced games but playable at 3 and 5 players. They aren't present in Rebellion but I'd almost wager real money that a third scum faction was touched on when designing expansions for this game, and they may end up with a similar victory condition.

Lastly, dice combat. It's present here, present in risk, but of course being FFG they will design fancy dice to go with their upgraded system. It's still rolling dice instead of card-play.

I actually just commented on this in a different thread, but I immediately noticed the similarities. I love OT Star Wars Risk, but this looks like it will be what I wanted that game to be.

Never played it but some of the color choices look simular

Hasbro's choice of title for the not-queens-gambit-Endor is almost mystifying. They did it probably for recognition, but it's still weird nonetheless. It seems nothing at all like a traditional risk game.

I love Star Wars Risk Original Trilogy Edition. It was my favorite game for a long time. It does so many things that just feel right for Star Wars. I haven't posted much, but I've been talking with people a lot about the similarities between the two. Interesting to note that in Risk, the Rebels are hunting the Imperial Base, trying to find the Emperor. In this one, the Empire is looking for the Rebel base, which -- when you think about it -- really makes a lot more sense, thematically.

I love Star Wars Risk Original Trilogy Edition. It was my favorite game for a long time. It does so many things that just feel right for Star Wars. I haven't posted much, but I've been talking with people a lot about the similarities between the two. Interesting to note that in Risk, the Rebels are hunting the Imperial Base, trying to find the Emperor. In this one, the Empire is looking for the Rebel base, which -- when you think about it -- really makes a lot more sense, thematically.

I definitely agree. And the fact that the OT Edition Risk didn't play like normal Risk, with three distinct factions with asymmetrical victory types was appealing. Plus the use of ships to modify dice or let you use 8-sided dice, and the balance of power between the Rebels, Hutts, and Empire that created interesting allies was fun. However, games could be really swingy if the Rebels got lucky and stumbled upon the Emperor early, but hiding him was part of the challenge of being the Empire. It does make a lot more sense for the Empire to be hunting the Rebel base though.

I still play my SW:OTE Risk. I use my SW Micro Machines to add some real flavor to the game. There's a lot of good pics over on BoardGameGeek , none of those pics are mine, but it all looks the same. I even wrote up some rules to play SW Risk by using Imperial Assault for battles instead of dice. So if you want to play a Risk game that takes a month to finish, hit me up :P .

I'm already salivating over being able to use my Micro Machines in Rebellion and integrate the game with IA and Armada. This is the droids game I was looking for.

i see the 90s rebellion computer game here....bwa-ha-ha! cheers