Persevering Despite Rejection

By guitalex2008, in UFS Rules Q & A

In a moment of lucid hilarity, I came across this possibility.

James Hata.. plays a Over the Shoulder or something. Brooding, Stand Off, In Search of Plunder, Enraged Golem, Frischer Himmel, Hungry For Battle, lots of stuff then BOOM, it's a 17M25 throw.

The opponent is at 20 or so, so he has to block. Not having an option, he uses Paid to Protect.

Can Persevering Despite Rejection respond to Paid to Protect, making Over the Shoulder 3M42? Can a second one respond, making it 3M59?

Texts follow.

Paid to Protect (relevant text only):
R Commit: Before the Block Step, return this attack's speed to its printed speed.

Persevering Despite Rejection:
R Commit: After your opponent reduces the speed of your attack, your attack gets +X damage. X equals the amount your attack's speed was reduced by.

I wouldn't imagine so. This is the same sorta thing as that the R on Holding Ground wasn't a damage reduction, if I remember right.

Yes, that will work just fine.

B-Rad, you're thinking of cards that prevent a damage/speed bonus/penalty from being applied.

PDR is not a speed penalty. But it is a speed reduction.

139.jpg

But what I don't understand, is that the effect after the comma, is the exact same wording as P2P, only replace damage with speed.

But that IS a reduction. Or rather can be (if it increases the damage, it's an increase). Again, I think you are thinking of the ruling on different cards.

I could be dumb lol, but I swore that Holding Ground wasn't considored a reduction. Meh oh well lol dun mind ;)

Side note: Does that mean I can Distractable to negate Holding Ground and Healer?

No and Sometimes.

HG is a React so Distractible won't work on it.

And if Healer is increasing the damage then D won't work on it.

I ask because Healer and Tae Kwon Do Zephyr were considered as reduction for Hilde's purposes, so I assumed the same happened with speed.

Yeah, it works. Taking it from 17 to 3 is a reduction of 14 points. However it is not a -14 penalty - just a reduction. Anything that would respond to a bonus or penalty (e.g. Adon3) would not be able to respond to Paid to Protect.