Rebellion PC Game

By duncansalazar, in Star Wars: Rebellion

How similar (or inspired by) is this board game to the old PC game called Rebellion? That game was awesome.

I remember that game. This seems like it may be based on that game. A lot of similarities.

Until we get the rules, we can't say. But it feels inspired by it.

I agree, there is a definite feel of similarity to the PC game of old. I am most interested in the level of fog of war this new game will have. The hallmark of the old PC game was the fog of war it provided to the player.

Ouch. Tough to do in a board game. I don't see any blocks or obvious double blind mechanics... nor is it a hallmark of most FFG games. They don't make much in the way of hardcore wargame stuff, and FoW / Double blind mechanics live there.

I think we'll have to wait for more information before we can really figure out how close they are. I love the Rebellion PC game and am eagerly anticipating this though I wish my dad had lived to see it because he would have loved it.

I'm disappointed that the Nebulon-Bs apparently aren't in the initial game but hopefully they'll be added later

Edited by RogueCorona

Looks to me that this is directly inspired by the Star Wars Rebellion PC game.

How similar (or inspired by) is this board game to the old PC game called Rebellion? That game was awesome.

List of features from PC game:

1. Hero Cards with stats

2. Planets with loyalty system

3. Asymetric faction balance

4. Resource collection

5. Ship and troop construction

6. Space battles

7. Ground battles

8. Varrious mission types

9. Destructable, randomly placed rebel base

10. Hyperspace travel mechanic

11. Movie events

12. Empire can blow up planet with death star

13 Rebel trench run mission

14. Planetary blockade and bombardment

15. Planetary defense such as shield generators, ion cannoms, and defensive lasers

16. The Force mechanic

17. Multiplayer

18 Character card recruitment

19, Diplomacy mechanic

20. Uprising mechanic

21. Officers increase effectiveness of troops and ships in battle

Ouch. Tough to do in a board game. I don't see any blocks or obvious double blind mechanics... nor is it a hallmark of most FFG games. They don't make much in the way of hardcore wargame stuff, and FoW / Double blind mechanics live there.

That's why I'm buying 2. I will post Blind Play Rules once game rules are fully revealed

The only 'fog of war' I imagine is that the Rebel player secretly uses a dial or card signifying where the rebel base is hidden.

wunderbar!!!

Agreed. I absolutely adored that game - especially:
--the way public opinion in the dozens of systems was affected by diplomatic missions, by ground or space victories, by orbital bombardments, or by the Empire's first use of the dreaded Death Star;
--the way control of friendly/unfriendly systems required proportionately sized garrisons;
--the way the Rebels / Empire played a cat and mouse game, esp. in the Outer Rim, with the Empire having to use probe droids to hunt down the Rebel leaders and forces;
--the use of commando teams to sabotage enemy facilities or military resources, assassinate enemy leaders or incite revolts;
--the space battles that one could command;
--the way production and maintenance of military forces was dependent on the building of a balanced network of mines, refineries and construction facilities;
...and a hundred other things. I thought it a very good operational model of insurgency/counterinsurgency.

Happy, happy days. If the boardgame encapsulates any of this, I will be very pleased - although one wonders how hidden movement could be modelled.

Supremacy for us Brits :)

Great game though. Played it over a LAN with my brothers. Great stuff.

There are superficial similarities (like characters and system loyalty), but I doubt it goes deeper than semantics.

Research is entirely absent. There are no special ship types to be unlocked by characters sitting on shipyards/barracks/facilities. Mining-refining-maintenance is also out. It seems like there are no generic characters present to send on missions (no saboteurs, probe droids, etx). You do not win the game by capturing the two leaders and their headquarters.

Can't say yet if there's a seat-of-power effect, incite/put down uprisings, assassination of characters, and hidden loyalties. Can't tell if garrisons for disloyal planets are needed either. There's mention of training jedi characters, but no say if this only means Luke/Leia or if random characters can become force sensitive also.

Battling over systems via loyalty and character missions were the core of Rebellion and also fairly unique to that game. Fleet and troop management was also a core attribute but less unique. The fact that the boardgame also shares that core essence, to me, seems a lot more than superficial.

Rebellion was a very expansive game, so obviously not everything is going to make it in.

For example, mining, refining, factories, and shipyards all condensed to a simpler resource build system.

And No-one is saying it is based on the game, but rather inspired by.

Edited by Deadwolf

You can still buy that old Rebellion game on the PC. GOG games. It's been updated to run on modern machines. GREAT game. This one feels heavily inspired by that game.

Supremacy for us Brits :)

Great game though. Played it over a LAN with my brothers. Great stuff.

I spent many hours playing it over an LAN with dad and various friends and cousins. Ahh the memories. I still remember one of my cousins freaking after I killed a loaded SSD (The only ship he had over Coruscant with a mix of B-Wing loaded Nebulon-Bs, Corellian Gunships, and CC-9600s with a CC-7700 backstopping to block his escape..

so very similar...it will be run!