RtL OL Strategic Options

By joshuapavon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi!

I just got RtL (and have JiTD plus all expansions) and have been looking it over. I usually play as the Overlord when we play.

If I understand right, OL can win by razing hometown, plot, or final battle. Heros can win only via final battle.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts for the Overlord on differences in Focusing all his efforts towards any of his 3 win conditions? Without playing, I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the three goals vs how much is individually focused.

For example:

If I try to focus on the plot, will I be sacrificing the strength of my avatar for the final battle and also not have any chance of razing the hometown.

Or...if I focus on upgrading my avatar and making him nasty, will I be sacrificing other things like treachery or upgrades for other kinds of monsters rather than the avatar's type.

etc.etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for "If you try go with A...you will sacrifice B & C." Also, which ones you think are more fun or less fun to go for.

Thanks very much!

joshuapavon said:

Hi!

I just got RtL (and have JiTD plus all expansions) and have been looking it over. I usually play as the Overlord when we play.

If I understand right, OL can win by razing hometown, plot, or final battle. Heros can win only via final battle.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts for the Overlord on differences in Focusing all his efforts towards any of his 3 win conditions? Without playing, I'm not sure how much overlap there is between the three goals vs how much is individually focused.

For example:

If I try to focus on the plot, will I be sacrificing the strength of my avatar for the final battle and also not have any chance of razing the hometown.

Or...if I focus on upgrading my avatar and making him nasty, will I be sacrificing other things like treachery or upgrades for other kinds of monsters rather than the avatar's type.

etc.etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for "If you try go with A...you will sacrifice B & C." Also, which ones you think are more fun or less fun to go for.

Thanks very much!

Briefly, this is how it goes in rank of ease of winning IMO:

1) Raze Tamalir: If you run Lts after it and pile a ton on, you can win very easily this way if the heroes aren't paying attention. However, this is also IMO the worst way to win the game but it is a legit way.

2) Plot: Some are harder than other to complete, but trying to win via Plot is fun and doesn't really suck up that many resources.

3) Final Battle: Good luck here. The Final Battle is very very hard for the OL to actually win and requires you to have basically dump all your XP into avatar upgrades that directly affect your avatar. And even then, you have a low percentage chance of winning in my experience.

When I buy treachery...I get to start with it for every dungeon, Lt. encounter, & final battle. I don't get to start with it during regular encounters.

- And, I can spend it in dungeons the classic way (customizing the deck). Also, I can search the deck for ANY (except power) 2 cards I want for the cost of 1 treachery (of that type) each? Can I do that at the start of dungeons, the Lt. encounters, and final battle as well?

Is that how it works?

The choose 2 regular for one treachery of the same type is only for LT. Encounters.