White Wolf sold (again)

By evilidler, in Living Card Games

Paradox buys White Wolf from CCP, including all properties:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/29/paradox-white-wolf/

Since Paradox are continuing to focus on computer games, I guess we can hope for them to licence things to other companies. For instance, Vampire: The Eternal Struggle, if any friendly companies with card game experience want to make a reboot…

FFG looked in to that a couple years ago and decided against it. Don't see why that would change.

Yeah, I just don't see a long term value in that IP. You can do something similar without the licensing costs but even that would be as niche, or worse, than CoC

This is Christian Petersen's (FFG CEO) post about FFG being no longer interested in VTES

that's interesting. They usually don't lift the curtain like that. I do recall there was a thread a couple of years ago where a guy claimed to have witnessed or participated in a playtest game tantalizingly similar to VTES but he later revealed he was just completely trolling and none of it ever happened.

FFG looked in to that a couple years ago and decided against it. Don't see why that would change.

I hope this resets the idea in FFG's head to at least ask Paradox and see if its a worthwhile investment. I would so love a Vampire and a Rage reboot both as LCGs.

There's always the chance of some other fine company picking it up, of course. But on the off-chance FFG reads these forums, this should seed the idea that people might actually like it to be revived ;)

All this abiding, of course, VTES still enjoys a small but loyal fan community which produces virtual cards. It's become an "un-dead" CCG, fittingly enough.

Rage was so **** broken. Just from the way combat was resolved it lent itself to extremely granular cost/benefit analysis of combat cards, which in turn made characters kind of useless if their strength was just below the sweet spots of the really efficient attacks. Mangle comes to mind, and a couple of others whose damage exceeded a particular strength/damage ratio.

That and the often-terrible artwork...

I'm sure that FFG passed on VTES for a number of reasons, but at least some of those likely included: 1) CCP not wanting to licence WW while they were in negotations to sell it, 2) CCP several times saying that they weren't interested in doing anything with VTES unless it involved Wizards of the Coast (who kind of own the rules... maybe?), and 3) Wizards refusing to have anything to do with VTES (which has stopped at least 2 efforts to get VTES reprinted that I know of). So with CCP out of the picture, things might well change. Plus the new White Wolf has said more than once that it wants to licence out it's setting to companies who can do quality things with it. That having been said, FFG has already purchased L5R, so they might not be looking for any more LCGs for a while.

With all that said, if you are interested in VTES, there has been a conversation between White Wolf and the player organization that has kept VTES alive (it's called the VEKN), and there is currently a poll on the VEKN site about what people would like to see for the future of VTES. Now you do have to create a free account with them if you want to participate (you have been warned!), but they would really like to hear from former players as well as new / prospective players, so go make your voice heard!

http://vekn.net/votes