Installing Assets questions. Addicted Noob here.

By Karnak, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

On a click as Corp. can you automatically install an asset and pay the Rez cost on the same click. Also, when can you trash cards? At anytime? Or is that a click? Thanks!

Rezzing cards does not cost a click. If you look at the timing chart in the FAQ you can see all the times that you can rez non-ICE cards, which includes immediately after each click (on both player turns) so you can indeed install and immediately rez.

Trashing can only happen if the card has a trash cost as part of a paid ability, in which case you must do so in a paid ability window (again, consult timing chart) or when installing into the same server.

Hope that helps :)

Trashing can only happen if the card has a trash cost as part of a paid ability, in which case you must do so in a paid ability window (again, consult timing chart) or when installing into the same server.

That's not entirely true. If you install an asset or agenda in a server that already has an asset or agenda, you must trash the one that is currently installed.

That's not entirely true. If you install an asset or agenda in a server that already has an asset or agenda, you must trash the one that is currently installed.

That was actually what I meant by the last part of my post, but on re-reading it I can see that might not have been clear.

That was actually what I meant by the last part of my post, but on re-reading it I can see that might not have been clear.

Interesting. So if I have a Temujin Contract with no server and want to install another TC over it, I have to pay the trash cost on my own card?

No the first Temujin would simple be trashed as it is a unique card and the act of installing the new Temujin trashes the old one.

Otherwise the runner can NEVER voluntarily trash hardware or a resource without a card effect.

Temujin doesn't HAVE a trash cost.

Something that needs to be clarified that I meant to say but didn't get around to: just because certain rules are common and would seem to indicate a first principle, it isn't necessarily so. Consider these rules:

• If a card with a unique title becomes active, any other card that shares its title is immediately trashed. This trashing cannot be prevented.
  • When installing a card in a server, the Corporation can first trash any cards already installed in that server. (and is required to do so if the card is a type that is limit one per server.)
  • When installing ice, the Corporation can first trash any ice protecting that server in order to reduce the install cost.
  • The Runner can choose to trash any number of his installed programs at the beginning of an install program action.
You could be forgiven for getting the impression that you can do the same when installing a Resource, or a piece of Hardware, since the "install over" action is so common. The lack of any such rule for hardware is part of what makes it impossible to replace your existing Console: because you can't trash the installed card, the "Limit one" text prevents you from attempting to install another one.