discard from play vs. kill

By jkilroy, in Rules Questions

Hi ebverybody,

as a new player, I wonder if "discard each character from play" (which is what Varys does) is something different than "kill each character". I think it is and I guess that Varys puts the characters on the discard pile and "kill" puts them into the dead pile. Is that correct? And if you discard a character from play it can also be saved (by bodyguard or duplicates), correct?

Thanks for your help.

Discard and kill are different, but mostly in the ways you're talking about.

-A discarded from play character is put in the discard pile, and therefore you could play another unique if you drew it.

-A discarded character is not killed, so you could not react to it being killed (e.g. Joffrey) or interrupt it being killed (Ser Waymar Royce, Benjen Stark)

There is nothing that says that a discarded character can't be saved - however, certain saves only work against Kill (e.g. Aemon, Risen from the Sea). Some saves specfically work on discards (e.g. Bodyguard), and duplicates work against all forms of removal from play (including "return to hand" or "remove from game"), so you could save from varys's discard effect with duplicates (or Bodyguard)..

Thanks a lot, that really helps.

Hi

I know the difference between discard (pile) and Killed (pile)

What I don't understand is, what is meant by "remove from the game" is this just another way of saying "kill" or is this a third "pile"

When discarding cards from your hand and your opposing playing has Meryn Trant on the table it says "remove from the game all cards discarded from your hand instead of putting it in the discard pile"

Are these now killed? or are they in a third pile? out of the play area. And if they are, can I marshal a second copy of a unique if the first copy is now "removed from the game" by Meryn or any other similarly worded characters?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

RFG is a separate game state and needs to be tracked. Meryn Trant's ability puts them into this third state, not in the dead pile.

If the first copy of a Unique Character or Location is removed from the game, you may marshal a new copy if the Character is not also in the dead pile.

Thanks Kakita for clarifying that.